260 Pro questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Homeowner Premium Saw

For the average medium tree felling and bucking say 10" to 14" and smaller diameter trees too the MS 260 Pro is a good choice.

For a home owner who only cuts his own firewood the MS 260 Pro would be a premium saw to have in his tools inventory.

Nosmo

Well I have invested a bit of time and money researching what my ultimate set up should be......unfortunately it has cost me a bit of money doing my research. I originally was just a homeowner with 27 acres that needed to cut the occasional downed tree or limb and I bought a 029 Farmboss somewhere around 1996. I owned the saw for 12 years and it performed flawlessy. Then after cutting up a 24" hickory with my 029.....and then getting an Outdoor Wood Burner......I decided it was time to get a bigger saw. I sold the 029 and bought a 361 and things were cool....then I bought a used MS260 off eBay. It turned out that I kept going for the 260 most of the time as it cuts well, it is light and the used saw was horribly dirty and I didn't worry about having to clean it up after using it. A few months later I bought a NOS engine off eBay for the 260 so I would have a spare engine if I ever needed it.....and eventually I was able to buy all of the NOS parts off eBay to assemble a new MS260.......which is not the way to do it and it would have been best just to buy a new 260 (live and learn). I then got into a whole bunch of clearing and decided I needed a top handle saw and bought a MS192T and it is great for cutting brush and small limbs to get to the tree as you don't have to set the saw down while dragging brush away from the tree. Then when I got into some 36" sized trees I found a great deal on an almost new MS660 that a fellow had for sale on eBay after his son in law failed at trying to start a tree business.

I ended up with an MS192T, used MS260, new MS260 from parts, MS361, MS660 and I got some wood cut for about two years using that plan. I used the MS192T and the MS260 all the time, I used the MS361 occasionally, and about once or twice a year I used the MS660. Over the winter I sold the used 260, I smoothed the ports and piston on the new parts 260 and modified the muffler and starting using the saw, sold the 361, sold the 660, and I just bought a new MS460. My current (and final) lineup is the MS192T, MS260 and MS460. This lineup suits me perfectly as my woodcutting is generally under 24" and there is usually a lot of branches and brush cutting in my routine. I have a 12" bar on the 192T, a 16" bar on the 260, a 20" bar on the 460 and I have a 32" bar that I can install on the 460 when it is needed.

My recommendations for new saw owners would be:

ONE SAW PLAN

MS290 if you are a homeowner or farmer and just need to cut the occassional downed tree or cut some wood to use periodically in your fireplace. MS260 if you cut wood frequently and the wood is mostly below 12", increase to a MS361 if the wood gets bigger than 12" up to about 20", subsitute a MS440 or MS441 if the wood gets big.

TWO SAW PLAN

MS192T and MS290 if you are a homeowner/farmer doing property maintenance.
MS260 and MS441/MS460 if you are cutting wood frequently.

THREE SAW PLAN
Does not apply to homeowner/farmer doing property maintenance.
MS192T, MS260 and MS361 for smaller wood cutting.
MS192T, MS260 and MS441/460 for larger wood....drop the 192T and subsitute an MS660 if you don't have much brush and the trees are up to 36".

One thing to consider is where your trees come from. I have discovered that if you do a lot of cutting on trees that are in fence rows or that are growing isolated from the woods the trees are very full and there are lots of small branches to cut and dispose of and the MS192T really is handy. If you are cutting trees in the thick woods the trees don't have nearly as many branches and the MS192T is not nearly as useful.

Last edited:
Well I have invested a bit of time and money researching what my ultimate set up should be......unfortunately it has cost me a bit of money doing my research. I originally was just a homeowner with 27 acres that needed to cut the occasional downed tree or limb and I bought a 029 Farmboss somewhere around 1996. I owned the saw for 12 years and it performed flawlessy. Then after cutting up a 24" hickory with my 029.....and then getting an Outdoor Wood Burner......I decided it was time to get a bigger saw. I sold the 029 and bought a 361 and things were cool....then I bought a used MS260 off eBay. It turned out that I kept going for the 260 most of the time as it cuts well, it is light and the used saw was horribly dirty and I didn't worry about having to clean it up after using it. A few months later I bought a NOS engine off eBay for the 260 so I would have a spare engine if I ever needed it.....and eventually I was able to buy all of the NOS parts off eBay to assemble a new MS260.......which is not the way to do it and it would have been best just to buy a new 260 (live and learn). I then got into a whole bunch of clearing and decided I needed a top handle saw and bought a MS192T and it is great for cutting brush and small limbs to get to the tree as you don't have to set the saw down while dragging brush away from the tree. Then when I got into some 36" sized trees I found a great deal on an almost new MS660 that a fellow had for sale on eBay after his son in law failed at trying to start a tree business.

I ended up with an MS192T, used MS260, new MS260 from parts, MS361, MS660 and I got some wood cut for about two years using that plan. I used the MS192T and the MS260 all the time, I used the MS361 occasionally, and about once or twice a year I used the MS660. Over the winter I sold the used 260, I smoothed the ports and piston on the new parts 260 and modified the muffler and starting using the saw, sold the 361, sold the 660, and I just bought a new MS460. My current (and final) lineup is the MS192T, MS260 and MS460. This lineup suits me perfectly as my woodcutting is generally under 24" and there is usually a lot of branches and brush cutting in my routine. I have a 12" bar on the 192T, a 16" bar on the 260, a 20" bar on the 460 and I have a 32" bar that I can install on the 460 when it is needed.

My recommendations for new saw owners would be:

ONE SAW PLAN

MS290 if you are a homeowner or farmer and just need to cut the occassional downed tree or cut some wood to use periodically in your fireplace. MS260 if you cut wood frequently and the wood is mostly below 12", increase to a MS361 if the wood gets bigger than 12" up to about 20", subsitute a MS440 or MS441 if the wood gets big.

TWO SAW PLAN

MS192T and MS290 if you are a homeowner/farmer doing property maintenance.
MS260 and MS441/MS460 if you are cutting wood frequently.

THREE SAW PLAN
Does not apply to homeowner/farmer doing property maintenance.
MS192T, MS260 and MS361 for smaller wood cutting.
MS192T, MS260 and MS441/460 for larger wood....drop the 192T and subsitute an MS660 if you don't have much brush and the trees are up to 36".

One thing to consider is where your trees come from. I have discovered that if you do a lot of cutting on trees that are in fence rows or that are growing isolated from the woods the trees are very full and there are lots of small branches to cut and dispose of and the MS192T really is handy. If you are cutting trees in the thick woods the trees don't have nearly as many branches and the MS192T is not nearly as useful.

I really like this post:clap: Alot of thought went into it and boy does it sound familiar. I find myself content with a 200t, 260 pro and 460 mag. Always the right tool for a particular task.

Get yourself a good running 9.5# saw and you'll find you won't use that 260 as much. Redmax is your go to saw for this, IMHO. It's considerably lighter than the 260 and is a pleasure to use limbing out the small stuff off a freshly fallen tree when there's brush all over the place.

Teh 361 does often end up as a tweener saw that gets looked over. I'll often jump from the 260 straight to the 460. If it's big enough for the 361, then it's a good excuse to run the 460. It's just so much stronger.

My perfect three saw plan:
  1. Redmax 3800/400/4000/4500
  2. Husky NE 346XP
  3. Stihl MS460

I really like this post:clap: Alot of thought went into it and boy does it sound familiar. I find myself content with a 200t, 260 pro and 460 mag. Always the right tool for a particular task.

Second or third, or is it fourth now, :clap: to one-old-banjo's information.

I too went with the 200 over the 192 [and since it was a gift for my wife, straight rather than T, sometimes wish it was, but knowing she trims overgrowth as it annoys her, rather than pointing it out to me - priceless!]. The dealer claims he knows a fellow [light firewood I assumed] that uses a 200 as his go-to saw.

I know it gets too confusing to add every possible option, but as there was a "premium" one saw option, may I suggest a "premium" two saw: substituting the 260 [30% less weight while giving up a .6HP] for smaller diameters, or the 361 [still less weight, while gaining .6HP over the 290] for larger (but not large enough it goes to the 260/460plan) ones?

I know it's old technology and the saw in question paid it's dues too, but when I use the FILs 029 or BILs 028 [IIRC], they just feel heavy and sluggish if I've used the 361 recently.

husky

Stopped in the husky dealer this AM. They had a 353 saw on their shelf and I said this is no longer being made and the guy looked in his computer and said yes it is. It was light and seem to handle pretty good.

I know I started this thread with the MS260 saw. I am thinking I will probably go for the two saw plan. Probably get the MS361 and what is the ideal saw to get in a two saw plan? I will probably get the smaller saw first and maybe in the fall I will get the MS361. I think the MS361 is ideal for me but like someone said the 361 is not for everything.

I am open to owning a Husky and Stihl in a two saw plan. I am going to look at what is available in a lesser saw than the MS260. It looks like the 270 WoodBoss is a good compromise but its still heavy and close to the 361 in weight! Another thought that occured to me was getting the MS361 and having two bars which would be cheaper. But then my wife could not handle the 361 and can help me with a smaller saw should the need arises.

Guy at Husky dealer (they had both Stihl and Husky there) said he uses the 290 and said its the #1 selling saw and he said he would slightly prefer Stihl over Husky.

Their 353 looks good and felt light for the lighter stuff. But its an occassional saw so for the classification saw its still close to $400 for the 18" bar...kinda spendy for the occassional saw.

I am going to see what other saw I can pair with the 361 that makes more sense to cover as much as I can for up to 20" logs.

oh...

The saw I am looking for needs to be entry level pro saw and a 16" or 18" bar. I would say most of the trees I cut will average around 12" diameter straight across. So a 16" will do for me

When did you switch to 20" logs?
The premise was a saw for average 12"

Let me re-think here...
If 10% of your wood is 18-20" get the 260 / 353
If more (percentage) get a larger used backup saw.

If 40-50% of your wood is 18-20"
Buy the 361 and get a smaller used backup saw.

I just finished cutting 5 cords of oak with my buddy.
He with a Poulan/14".
I with my 260/16" and 031/20".
25" oak with the big saw felt like 16" oak with the smaller saw.
The wood was dirty and I needed to file often.

The dull chain cutting tired me more quickly. (of course)
This was hardwood. It took time with either saw.
I did not feel the weight of the 031.

BTW my buddys Poulan ran as well as my saws; he kept the revs up/ chain sharp and
ate it up - all with a lowly 2075 "disposable" saw.

You gotta buy - we need pics and videos :laugh:
-br

Ahhhh, getting the wife in the mix! :greenchainsaw:

Again, I'm far from the expert, other than a few years ago scratching my head over similar options as you.

Unless going for two saws for the price of one pro saw [BTW, can't remember, but do you still have your old saw to cut your primary saw out of a pinch situation .... don't ask how I know about the necessity... :dizzy: ], I don't see the purpose of the 270 or 280 in a two saw line-up - the weight is just too close to the 290 [not sure how the 310 & 390 compare in price or durability, but same weight there, I know I liked the 361 over the 390, don't recall the 310 at the time]; I'd suspect if your wife could handle any of the mid-range saws, she could handle the 361 - perhaps even better.

Going with One-Old-Banjo [which actually mirrors nmurph too regarding 260/361] that leaves the 192T/290 combo; however, as you were looking at pro saws [and now knowing your wife is part of the equation] that goes back to my premium twist on it: the 200 [T, if you think your wife would be comfortable with it] and the 361 - ideally with a couple bar options, but I'm being a hypocrite there.

You might get heck of a deal buying two pro saws at the same time; don't know unless you ask. If you're looking at mixing brands, I've read Stihl guys even admit Husky's equivalant [can't remember number] of the 200 is vicious.

Finally, while I like that 361, if your wood isn't that big, note that the 260 fits in every combination 1,2, or 3 saw; while the 361 could get pinched in the middle - on the other hand if you want to make your next saw smaller instead of larger: 361.

Myabe your wife wants easy start? I think the 192 offers it in either straight or T; or could do a 250C-BE. Tuned up decent my wife has no trouble with the 200, but won't touch the 361 even with the decompression.

:dizzy: yet?! :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Get yourself a good running 9.5# saw and you'll find you won't use that 260 as much. Redmax is your go to saw for this, IMHO. It's considerably lighter than the 260 and is a pleasure to use limbing out the small stuff off a freshly fallen tree when there's brush all over the place.

Teh 361 does often end up as a tweener saw that gets looked over. I'll often jump from the 260 straight to the 460. If it's big enough for the 361, then it's a good excuse to run the 460. It's just so much stronger.

My perfect three saw plan:
  1. Redmax 3800/400/4000/4500
  2. Husky NE 346XP
  3. Stihl MS460

Brad, cant argue with that, basically because I dont know what I dont know. With all due respect I pay close attention to your writes because you do know.
In my part of the country stihl has great dealer support while husky is a major contender it plays second fiddle with the exception of the 372.(A friend has supplied cracker barrel with 110 cords a yr plus other work for years with a 372 plus 200t). Other brands are pretty foreign around here except box saws.
I think alot has to do with Stihl made in Virginia and secondly made in America, thirdly dealer support along with they do the job and dont break.

Ignorance may be bliss, but for the previous reasons I will enjoy my bliss.

Cheers

Last edited:
just go buy A saw!!!!! d am n, all the nattering!

I agree...if I was you just go out and buy the MS260 pro. Once you run it for a while you'll know if you like it, if its the right size for your needs, and if you need another saw. If you decide you don't like it you won't lose much selling it on ebay. Nearly new stihl saws sell for near retail and occassionally go for over retail on ebay.

huh?

just go buy A saw!!!!! d am n, all the nattering!

Relax man...I will be buying either the 260 or 361 this Friday of Thursday if I can get off work a little early.

I agree that too much fawking nitpicking over what saw to buy but hey I ain't no professional like many of you are. I am just a regular homeowner who is trying to get the "best bang for the buck".

saw case

One thing I am curious about. Do you guys buy the saw case offered from Stihl. My guess is if your gonna pay $600 for a saw you'd get a case too. I see a few guys driving around with crap in their truck and those Stihl saws in the truck bed. Just wondering if you guys use these carry case?

just razzing you. glad you took it ok.

i have saws with and without the case. i really don't care either way. the bed of my truck is probably the safest place for my saws. i do usually put a bar cover on them, and they are usually bungeed into place.
i have a shopping basket that sits inside a 30gal flower pot. i throw it in the back of the truck and it has everything i need; wedges, mix, oil, screnchs, files, rags, sledge hammer, chaps, ear muffs and plugs, screwdrivers......i can grab it and a few saws and be gone in a couple of minutes.

Relax man...I will be buying either the 260 or 361 this Friday of Thursday if I can get off work a little early.

I agree that too much fawking nitpicking over what saw to buy but hey I ain't no professional like many of you are. I am just a regular homeowner who is trying to get the "best bang for the buck".

Not quite the regular homeowner IMHO; he'd see the 290, and say, "I can get a Stihl over 50CC for $350? I'll take it." You're looking to spend a little more for better power/weight etc.; so it makes the options more intriquing.

I think the case lists for something like $50 which I thought insane when not even as "cool" as the old cases with real hinges, but as I had them wrapped into the deal I don't really know what the going rate is. I do like the protection, but moreso, that way I can bring it in the house [when it's cold out] to file a chain or whatever PM, and not get oil or chips on the floor, also can throw it in the car and not make a mess, as well as the truck bed without being paranoid of the chain getting dulled. IIRC the bar shield that comes with it [actually maybe comes with the saw rather than case] maxes out at 20".

I cleaned the air filter, and general quick once over on my wife's saw today, and decided it needed a little work out so it didn't develope an inferior complex. That row of logs measured exactly a foot diameter at the first cut; I could have leaned into it and stopped it, but the little guy did alright and those are full chips not recut sawdust. Cut up everthing else there [not that the 361 wouldn't have been a better & quicker tool and my usual choice, but thought if I'm going to give it a work out.....] as well as the pile in the second picture and a slightly smaller one. Not lightning fast, but not bad for a couple hours and 5+/- tanks of fuel. Only reason I posted those here, if that 361 feels right, deals right, or you are planning the bigger stuff I'd go for it, else I'd bet that 260 would be able to step up to the task for your needs and leave both ends of the spectrum open to add a saw or two for your ideal combo.

Last edited:
Their 353 looks good and felt light for the lighter stuff. But its an occassional saw so for the classification saw its still close to $400 for the 18" bar...kinda spendy for the occassional saw.

I am going to see what other saw I can pair with the 361 that makes more sense to cover as much as I can for up to 20" logs.

The 353 is no occassional saw, it's a PRO class saw, better than the 260 in all aspects. The only reason it is listed as occasional is because they want the pro's to buy the 346xp. There can only be one XP saw in each cc class. The 353 is just as much quality as the 346, just less power (which does not negatively impact the durability of the saw).

The 346 is THE 50cc saw, 2nd is the PS5100, third is the 353, fourth is the 260.

BTW, iif you plan a 361 I can't understand the need for a 50cc saw.

One saw = 60cc = 357/359/361
Two saws = 50cc + 70 cc. = 346+372/576 or 260+440/441

The 353 is no occassional saw, it's a PRO class saw, better than the 260 in all aspects. The only reason it is listed as occasional is because they want the pro's to buy the 346xp. There can only be one XP saw in each cc class. The 353 is just as much quality as the 346, just less power (which does not negatively impact the durability of the saw).

The 346 is THE 50cc saw, 2nd is the PS5100, third is the 353, fourth is the 260.

BTW, iif you plan a 361 I can't understand the need for a 50cc saw.

One saw = 60cc = 357/359/361
Two saws = 50cc + 70 cc. = 346+372/576 or 260+440/441

Agree about the 353. Certainly not an occasional use saw.

Back