272xp running on 2.5 turns on the L side ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

md1486

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 272xp who have sit for a fews years.

New parts :
Fuel filter
Tank vent
Carb rebuilt with a carb kit

Fuel line and boot are not broken or cracked.
P&C is perfect.
New fuel 40:1 non ethanol

I can make the saw run and cut, but with the carb at 2.5 turn on the low side, but throttle response is bad (acceleration).
I have tried to adjust carb multiples times and can't make it run right.
When at idle no change in sound when I turn saw from side to side (air leak)

At standard carb setting L 1, H 3/4 she doesn't even want to start.

What I am missing ?

Thanks,

Your metering lever height could be off, idle circuit could be partially clogged, there could be a stuck and/or junk in the needle, plugged screen, bad fuel line. Lots of possibilities.

Your metering lever height could be off, idle circuit could be partially clogged, there could be a stuck and/or junk in the needle, plugged screen, bad fuel line. Lots of possibilities.

Carb has been cleaned and a complete carb kit put in. So junk and plugged screen probabilities are low I think.

So maybe metering lever to re-check. I assume if she runs only at L 2.5, she's running lean so the rich L setting compensate ? So metering would have been set too low, right ?

Carb has been cleaned and a complete carb kit put in. So junk and plugged screen probabilities are low I think.

So maybe metering lever to re-check. I assume if she runs only at L 2.5, she's running lean so the rich L setting compensate ? So metering would have been set too low, right ?
Yes. As to the cleaned carb, keep in mind we're talking about something 30+ years old. Any little stubborn debris anywhere in the L circuit could screw you up. I might have missed it, did you clean it in an USC?

Yes. As to the cleaned carb, keep in mind we're talking about something 30+ years old. Any little stubborn debris anywhere in the L circuit could screw you up. I might have missed it, did you clean it in an USC?

Nop I let it soak in carb cleaner + brush it gently and reclean with spray of carb cleaner by all circuit.
Old saw, old method haha
I don't have an USC

When looking to raise metering lever a hair, I'll reclean all screws holes with carb cleaner, maybe I miss something. Thx

Nop I let it soak in carb cleaner + brush it gently and reclean with spray of carb cleaner by all circuit.
Old saw, old method haha
I don't have an USC

When looking to raise metering lever a hair, I'll reclean all screws holes with carb cleaner, maybe I miss something. Thx
I've gotten in the habit of removing both L and H screws and spraying through there and also through the passages between the metering side and the venturi.

did you pull the welch plug/s as well? does it run at full throttle?

No I did a complete carb rebuild except welch plug. She runs at full throttle with a nice 4 strokes. She cuts good too. Maybe 1 time out of 10 she dies after the cut.
It is the acceleration that I can't get it right.

L side is about at 1.75 turn in this video. At 2.5 turn she runs way better but not perfect. Something's wrong for sure.

Did you use the right carb base gasket? I'm thinking alot of these Huskys need the right gasket to cover the impulse port.

I rebuilt it with the right kit for my carb..so I suppose base gasket is the right one. The gasket have to cover the impulse port or not ? I’ll look at it

Back