281xp oem or am p/c ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul99

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I picked up a 1989 (300 anniversary) 281xp in fairly tidy condition...
20180213_192712.jpg

I know having used it a few times in the past that it's a strong runner when / if you could get it started - hence it being replaced after seeing nearly 30 years of active service with a new, easier to start and more reliable ms461... it seems that using it alongside my 038mag and FT660 a few weeks ago was final straw for the previous keeper...

A quick tune has already made a big difference and it's now starting really good but it will get a carb kit and clean in any case - god only knows how old the diaphragms are and I'd be surprised if new ones didn't transform the saw.

I decided to take a look under the covers and give it a quick clean. I'm fairly unfamiliar with Husky parts ( I've been a Stihl man until now) but I couldn't see any branding anywhere on the cylinder...
20180214_170631.jpg

20180214_170829.jpg

I'm guessing this p/c may be am - but maybe not? any of you Husky men have any thoughts?

I'm really not bothered either way as it's a strong saw and if it is AM it makes the likelyhood of it getting a 288 top end in future more likely... if only for a decomp this is the only saw I've ever used which I've thought really needed one!

Should have a stamp with a k and an s sorta overlapping each other. I have an 89 288. I’ll see if I can find a similar online picture to show what yer lookin for It will be flywheel side.

My 288 doesn’t have the decomp either. A d handle helps. The guy I bought it from had one installed. I think it looks silly but it doesn’t rip the cord outta your hand. So it stays

My 288 doesn’t have the decomp either. A d handle helps. The guy I bought it from had one installed. I think it looks silly but it doesn’t rip the cord outta your hand. So it stays

Although I'm not really struggling with pulling the saw over like the last owner was (I'm half his age and not as slight) I can see how such a handle would make things easier and might well add one to the shopping list.

It's no more than curiosity but I've always wondered why this saw and of course the bigger 288 should be so hard to pull over when other saws I've used from the same era with similar or even bigger capacity and comparable compression are so much easier. I'm guessing Husqvarna must have chosen smaller diameter pulleys for good reasons but I just can't think of one???

i know some guys who swear by 281 being torquier than 288
not sure how true is that

I've never run or even seen a 288 but this 281 is definely a real torque monster... just opinion but I reckon its far closer to my 660 than it is my 038mag even though it should be near enough right in the middle. I'm just hoping now that the previous owner will be happy with his new 461 I got a funny feeling he'll miss the torque of this 281. Even if he doesn't miss the hard starting.

I'm not sure what rpm each model is producing maximum power at but I'm sure I read in the manual that the 288 can safely run an extra 500rpm over the 281. This sparked my curiosity again... why the difference? Is the bottom end volume and crank better balanced with a bigger heavier piston at a higher rpm or there more to it?

i got a 288 and it will stay with me the rest of my life
its stock with dual port muffler and the most balanced saw ive had ever
smoothest goes to 395, 288 can spin some serious rpms im not sure about the exact figure

ive had 038 mag, they are very torquey up to 24" bar
288/281 will go further and hang with the big boys up to 36" i believe

my dealer said the piston weight does make some difference
ive read some posts about guys mentioning the port shape and timing arent the same
281 being more aggressive
its all hearsay i cant tell for sure

I've never run or even seen a 288 but this 281 is definely a real torque monster... just opinion but I reckon its far closer to my 660 than it is my 038mag even though it should be near enough right in the middle. I'm just hoping now that the previous owner will be happy with his new 461 I got a funny feeling he'll miss the torque of this 281. Even if he doesn't miss the hard starting.

I'm not sure what rpm each model is producing maximum power at but I'm sure I read in the manual that the 288 can safely run an extra 500rpm over the 281. This sparked my curiosity again... why the difference? Is the bottom end volume and crank better balanced with a bigger heavier piston at a higher rpm or there more to it?

The exhaust on the 281's I have seen in the UK is very restrictive. Place a hole in the first baffle, retune, and it will come alive. Here I have mine opened in both baffles, fore and aft, but I have the cylinder ported as well. It's a mild port job, but it runs at 13K all day long in all wood with a 30" bar most days:

160224489.PS8JivST.jpg

I also run it without the 'fifth' mount to save nearly a pound of weight since I rarely put anything larger than 30" on it:

162586844.GHVHYGs8.jpg

huskies OEM mufflers in my region are open can type,
AM muffler comes with the baffle and runs a little quieter and sips tad less fuel
Seeing as this is a 288/281 thread. Do you know any full wrap options for these saws? There’s a few people looking for them. Myself included. Didn’t know if anyone modified a different handle to set these up with full wrap. They’re solid falling saws but the wrap can make life easier at times

they werent offered here, but im sure someone here can fab 1

also 281/288 are very sensitive to broken flywheel fins, you'll lose
good bit of power even with 1 fin gone. i've experience it myself,
the rpm will not climb to max and throttle response will be sluggish

All interesting stuff thanks all. I'll look at opening the muffler up a little when I get some time but I've not yet plucked up the courage to look at porting even the Chinese top ends I have so this 281 will remain stock for the time being.

Latest posts

Back