288xp Lite value?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lookin at photos of clutch cover side where outer felling spike goes...does it not just bolt on to the bar studs? Or is there another mounting bolt for it as well?

It is partially held in place by the bar stud nuts, but without that other little bolt you have to fool with the reinstalling the spike each time you take the nuts off. It's a little 5mmx55mm bolt and nut on the backside that holds the spike to the clutch cover.

The 288xp Lite is shaping up. Got a pro-safety full wrap on it today, new outer felling spike, muffler deflector for the MM, couple other little things.

Here's a pic. Thanks to all who helped out with this thread.

EDIT: Just for anyone reading this in the future who might be trying to do the same thing....the husky muffler deflector I ordered from Bailey's does fit this muffler (the holes were pre-drilled before I bought it, btw.) It's this one -> https://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=HVP+503+58+99+01&catID=

I will say that if you're MMing from scratch, buy the deflector first, then drill the holes (duh.) Will make life a little easier.

Last edited:
The 288xp Lite is shaping up. Got a pro-safety full wrap on it today, new outer felling spike, muffler deflector for the MM, couple other little things.

After going this far with it, I'd smooth out the area ya cut out of the shroud for the MM a little bit more...., just because.

Nice job.

:msp_thumbup:

Yeah, I'll smooth up the edges a bit when I get some more time. I really just had time to roughly take that section out. There could stand to be smidge more clearance there anyway.

Yeah, I'll smooth up the edges a bit when I get some more time. I really just had time to roughly take that section out. There could stand to be smidge more clearance there anyway.

What other saws do you have by the way? Of all mine- the 288 is my favorite. (of course I havent gotten to try either of the 359s or 562 in my sig yet cause Randy has em still).

What other saws do you have by the way? Of all mine- the 288 is my favorite. (of course I havent gotten to try either of the 359s or 562 in my sig yet cause Randy has em still).

I've got a 346xp (46cc) w/ 16" that I got from Neal (nmurph) that's MMed. Also have an Stihl 044 w/ DP muffler cover w/ 20" which I'm real fond of for general firewood use.

I haven't really put the 288xp to the work test yet bc I wanted to get some things fixed up on it before I really ran it for a while...will let you know my impressions once I do.

It's a toss up for me between the 346xp and the 044. They are apples to oranges and both are great at what I use them for (346 for limbing and under 12" stuff...044 for everything else.) I probably won't need to whip out the 288 very much, but I'm sure gonna want to. It's a beast even with the 30" full comp chain. Full wrap will only make it safer to handle and more comfortable.

Congrats on the 288 man. Been followin your thread to glean any technical stuff on it. This summer im sendin mine to mastermind for a rebuild and port job as it is just a box of parts at the moment. It'll be runin an 36" 3 rivet that's in decent shape. Heard good things about the 288 from timber fallers and lots of good stuff on here as well. Happy sawin. Btw my saw lineup is very similar to yours, 260pro and 372 XPW BB.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I've got a 346xp (46cc) w/ 16" that I got from Neal (nmurph) that's MMed. Also have an Stihl 044 w/ DP muffler cover w/ 20" which I'm real fond of for general firewood use.

I haven't really put the 288xp to the work test yet bc I wanted to get some things fixed up on it before I really ran it for a while...will let you know my impressions once I do.

It's a toss up for me between the 346xp and the 044. They are apples to oranges and both are great at what I use them for (346 for limbing and under 12" stuff...044 for everything else.) I probably won't need to whip out the 288 very much, but I'm sure gonna want to. It's a beast even with the 30" full comp chain. Full wrap will only make it safer to handle and more comfortable.

Glad you like the saw...btw, the base gasket was also deleted to increase compression.

Cant go wrong with Nmurph's 346:rock:.

Philbo- is the 044 a 10mm or 12? I had a 10mm that Randy ported- that saw was insane. Was wanting to go strictly Johnsered/ Husq and the opportunity came up so I swapped it with Mdavlee for my 2153. I do miss that saw though- especially when I watch the video. Look up Mastermind7864- Steven 044 on youtube. Saw was sick man.:rock:

It's a 12mm. I've entertained the idea of sending it to Randy to get ported...and/or putting a big bore kit on it...or a 046 top end...or just running it like I have. I'm happy with it's power and versatility, though more power with the same weight is never, ever a bad thing.

EDIT: Just for anyone reading this in the future who might be trying to do the same thing....the husky muffler deflector I ordered from Bailey's does fit this muffler (the holes were pre-drilled before I bought it, btw.) It's this one -> https://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=HVP+503+58+99+01&catID=

I will say that if you're MMing from scratch, buy the deflector first, then drill the holes (duh.) Will make life a little easier.

Looks good, especially with the pro safety handle. I told you the deflector would work. Get on ebay and find a new starter pulley. It will make a difference since that one is worn.

Also, just for the sake of this thread since this was originally a value thread, I paid $300 for the saw, bar and chain. I mistakenly typed $275 in one of earlier my posts, but that's what I offered originally for it. We settled on $300 w/ bar and chain, which I think is a very fair deal for me if all goes well.

You did tell us that, no problem! :msp_smile:

It looks like the saw is a late 1996 one, from what is left of the serial number.

Nice 288 lite

Great deal on the saw with a 30" B/C to boot. I still haven't gotten anything longer than a 24" on mine. I want long bar :taped: :laugh:

I have a Husky 288XP Lite that I want to sell. it has a 24 and 20 inch bar included. I purchased it new, and it has never been used. Is anyone interested?

Latest posts

Back