290 to a 310 or 390?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cre10

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
"The real upside to a 290 is if it breaks down you can upgrade to a 310 or 390 with no problems"

I've seen this posted a few times. Can someone explain it to a novice?

The 290, 310, and 390 are all the same saw. The cylinder and piston is the only difference between the three. The 310 and 390 cylinder will bolt right to the 290.

All of the parts on the three saws are the same except the cylinder and piston. 290 is the smallest the the 310 and the 390 is the biggest. If you are changing the piston and cylinder anyway you might as well put a 390 jug and piston on it because it will bolt right on. Do a search there are lots of threads. I would not bother putting on a 310 cylinder unless it was free
Because a 390 costs about the same.

All of the parts on the three saws are the same except the cylinder and piston. 290 is the smallest the the 310 and the 390 is the biggest. If you are changing the piston and cylinder anyway you might as well put a 390 jug and piston on it because it will bolt right on. Do a search there are lots of threads. I would not bother putting on a 310 cylinder unless it was free
Because a 390 costs about the same.

If everyone just did searches then we wouldn't have new threads here and you guys couldn't laugh at new guy stupid questions :hmm3grin2orange:

It's say's MS 290 on the outside

DSC_7996.jpg

But on the inside it's all MS 390 :msp_thumbup:

It's say's MS 290 on the outside

DSC_7996.jpg

But on the inside it's all MS 390 :msp_thumbup:

Yep and it's nice and shiney! Yeee haww....!

On another note, some 390's have a compression release (later models) and some of the earlier ones did not. The newer motor swap option from Bailey's (the MS390 kit) has the predrilled option to add the compression release if you would like to slightly modify your top cover. Otherwise simply buy a cylinder release "plug" and skip it. If one has a MS290 that is toasted (scored) the best option is to go with the Bailey's kit. I purchased one for an older 029 version and never looked back!

I can't believe how much price variances there are in the rebuild kits just from a quick search online.

What you're looking at is power per weight. Lightweight power is what you want, as long as it's not low quality junk. :hmm3grin2orange:

What you're looking at is power per weight. Lightweight power is what you want, as long as it's not low quality junk. :hmm3grin2orange:

It is getting better with the 390 top end, but even with that the power to weight ratio isn't good, and all the obvious signs of a low quality saw are still there....

Yep and it's nice and shiney! Yeee haww....!

On another note, some 390's have a compression release (later models) and some of the earlier ones did not. The newer motor swap option from Bailey's (the MS390 kit) has the predrilled option to add the compression release if you would like to slightly modify your top cover. Otherwise simply buy a cylinder release "plug" and skip it. If one has a MS290 that is toasted (scored) the best option is to go with the Bailey's kit. I purchased one for an older 029 version and never looked back!

It isn't to shinny any more; I'm just glad I took pic's when I put that new 25" ES 3/8's bar on it :msp_smile:

It is getting better with the 390 top end, but even with that the power to weight ratio isn't good, and all the obvious signs of a low quality saw are still there....

REALLY! Okay I've said some of this in an earlier thread but here goes again. Comparing my 029/039 to the closest Pro Stihl a 362 here's what i come up with. Clamshell design, for me big deal if I have to rebiuld it all the time it's going bye bye. It wasn't hard to put the 390 in it anyway. Going off of Stihl's specs the stock non MM'd 391 has 4.4hp and 14.1 lbs weight. The 362 has 4.6hp and 13.2 lbs weight. Really 1 pound! If that wears me out i better just buy wood! Plastic, sure the 029/039 family is plastic. So is the hood on my John deere tractor and my quad. Those both take alot of use and perform beautifully. Now I understand the 1127 series saws are not PRO grade, but I think they take too much crap here for as reliable of a saw that they are. I've never run a 362 but would imagine my MM'd 390 wouldn't lose too much to one. Obvious signs of low quality, well that low quality cut wood for 8 years straight AFTER I bought the saw used. Don't get me wrong I'm trying to get a Pro saw in a 36" bar range, but I will never knock my 029 except the oiler. Other then that it's a solid saw. Rant over! LOL!

REALLY! Okay I've said some of this in an earlier thread but here goes again. Comparing my 029/039 to the closest Pro Stihl a 362 here's what i come up with. Clamshell design, for me big deal if I have to rebiuld it all the time it's going bye bye. It wasn't hard to put the 390 in it anyway. Going off of Stihl's specs the stock non MM'd 391 has 4.4hp and 14.1 lbs weight. The 362 has 4.6hp and 13.2 lbs weight. Really 1 pound! If that wears me out i better just buy wood! Plastic, sure the 029/039 family is plastic. So is the hood on my John deere tractor and my quad. Those both take alot of use and perform beautifully. Now I understand the 1127 series saws are not PRO grade, but I think they take too much crap here for as reliable of a saw that they are. I've never run a 362 but would imagine my MM'd 390 wouldn't lose too much to one. Obvious signs of low quality, well that low quality cut wood for 8 years straight AFTER I bought the saw used. Don't get me wrong I'm trying to get a Pro saw in a 36" bar range, but I will never knock my 029 except the oiler. Other then that it's a solid saw. Rant over! LOL!

You are exactly right. I'd love for some of these naysayers to see the 290s that the boys run at work. They've cut more dirt than wood. These saws have been tortured for years but they always run.

The Husky 455 rancher is the same way.

In some of those stihl service manuals they list torque. I wonder what the torque ratings are for the 362 vs the 390...the 039/390 is 2.5ft lbs.

In some of those stihl service manuals they list torque. I wonder what the torque ratings are for the 362 vs the 390...the 039/390 is 2.5ft lbs.

That I don't know or have access to. I know that ratings are just a guide line and manufactures can and do play with those numbers sometimes. Right now I'm running an 8 pin full comp chisel 18" and the saw has BALLS! My carb never had limiters so maybe mine is a little different then the majority. I plan on moving up to a 25" bar, and my only worry is oil to the bar and chain. I don't see ANY concern for power. Comparing the 390 to my 2 XL-12's the 390 is head and shoulders above both.

The "029 family" are the first saws you should learn to avoid at all cost when you enter the chainsaw world, after anything that "smells" of China - well almost....

This isn't because they are the worst saws, but because they have been seriously "over marketed" (= hyped up) by Stihl as something they aren't, and mostly offered at much higher prices than they are worth.

Last edited:

The torque at really low rpms are a moot point, as the cutting down there will be very slow anyway. What counts regarding cutting is the "backup" they have right below the max hp point, and what they have above max hp. The reason those saw so often are said to feel like they have less power than they are rated at, is that they lack exactly that - making the effective "power band" extremely narrow.

The torque at really low rpms are a moot point, as the cutting down there will be very slow anyway. What counts regarding cutting is the "backup" they have right below the max hp point, and what they have above max hp. The reason those saw so often are said to feel like they have less power than they are rated at, is that they lack exactly that - making the effective "power band" extremely narrow.

Good point! I didn't notice the max torque was so low in rpm's.

Back