290 to a 310 or 390?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "029 family" are the first saws you should learn to avoid at all cost when you enter the chainsaw world, after anything that "smells" of China - well almost....

This isn't because they are the worst saws, but because they have been seriously "over marketed" (= hyped up) by Stihl as something they aren't, and mostly offered at much higher prices than they are worth.

What the heck do you mean SMELLS of CHINA? Are you refering to the Husky comment in the other thread? Shurely you would bring that up to yet again bash a Stihl product! So is your beloved Husky's(ranchers) in the same bracket just as over priced or are they better balanced? Maybe they weigh 1 pound less. I haven't seen you comment on the Husky saw with a plastic crankcase.

Why should this series of saws be avoided? I've spent years cutting with my XL's and my 011av, and some old Macs. With the 029 I've spent ZERO time repairing this saw in the field. Matter of fact my cheap 029 has cut more wood and been just as reliable as my FIL's 036 Pro. Somebody smells to be a saw snob to me.

Hyped up by Stihl? Maybe, but I had alot of years cutting wood with that hyped up saw. husky doesn't hype up thier products either? All saws are priced more then they are worth when they are new.

What the heck do you mean SMELLS of CHINA? Are you refering to the Husky comment in the other thread? Shurely you would bring that up to yet again bash a Stihl product! So is your beloved Husky's(ranchers) in the same bracket just as over priced or are they better balanced? Maybe they weigh 1 pound less. I haven't seen you comment on the Husky saw with a plastic crankcase.

Why should this series of saws be avoided? I've spent years cutting with my XL's and my 011av, and some old Macs. With the 029 I've spent ZERO time repairing this saw in the field. Matter of fact my cheap 029 has cut more wood and been just as reliable as my FIL's 036 Pro. Somebody smells to be a saw snob to me.

Hyped up by Stihl? Maybe, but I had alot of years cutting wood with that hyped up saw. husky doesn't hype up thier products either? All saws are priced more then they are worth when they are new.

Any mod's reading this ?

Who cares? If everyone on here agreed on everything all the time we wouldn't have much to talk about. :tremble::bang:

I was told by a Stihl tech that the plastic housing don`t fair to well with the 390 top end. Most people that have them like them because their made by Stihl and think it must be a good saw because it is made by Stihl. These saws do cut and cut well for the average home owner that don`t know any better. They are priced right for the home owner and they sell a lot of them. I don`t have or want one because I have learned like others here, there are better saws to have. Most people out side of CAD don`t know what power to ratio is and really don`t care about it. They do know it is better than a Wild Thing and most of the Echo`s.

I was told by a Stihl tech that the plastic housing don`t fair to well with the 390 top end.

:msp_confused:

My 290 melts all the time, went to Harbor Freight and got me a plastic welder to fix 'er up:laugh:

Man that tech must get a sales comission!

If that housing won't survive a 390 motor how does a factory 390 survive? It's the same part. Some people need to learn how to read a parts book. I would love to hear his explanation of how this is even possible.

Fish I just read that the MS 290 housing I bought from you is going to melt how long will it take to melt; I can't tell you how many gallon of fuel I put thru this summer :msp_scared:

Any help would be helpful

Fish I just read that the MS 290 housing I bought from you is going to melt how long will it take to melt; I can't tell you how many gallon of fuel I put thru this summer :msp_scared:

Any help would be helpful

You seem to be smarter than what you're working with, so you're just not going to get that melt down excitement!:msp_w00t:

I don't get how the plastic case could'nt handle it. Thats complete nonsense. Like someone else said, the 290 is the same saw as the 390, except the cylinder and piston. Besides, the crank is completely surrounded by magnesium anyways. It just has plastic around the magnesium.

I love my PRO saws but I do know for a FACT that the 290 series saws are wll worth their money, as are the Husky Rancher models.

The "029 family" are the first saws you should learn to avoid at all cost when you enter the chainsaw world, after anything that "smells" of China - well almost....

This isn't because they are the worst saws, but because they have been seriously "over marketed" (= hyped up) by Stihl as something they aren't, and mostly offered at much higher prices than they are worth.
In the performance charts, these 1127 saws will not run with the Mag cased counterparts...
That being said, I think they are extremely durable... The aforementioned material we scoff at, making them"Cheap", is the same material that gives them the ability to be bounced around in the loader bucket, dropped from the top of the pole barn, fall out of the back of the truck, and run every day with the case packed full of old oil, dirt and sawdust...
PLASTIC...
I've seen the neighbors around here do some pretty horrible things to these farm bosses... Even melt the plastic to where it droops from burning brush piles... 15 to 20 years of farm use is not even uncommon for these saws.
The 039, I believe is a "respectable" performer... Nice fit with an 18" bar... Port them and give them a triple port muffler, and you got a good runner.
Make them black, and you got JUST PLAIN SEXY!!!!
:hell_boy:

[video=youtube;SbWnNw-PTQU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbWnNw-PTQU&list=UUfB03KVhJRBISPufMa8F7GA&index=55&feature=plcp[/video]

Last edited:
In the performance charts, these 1127 saws will not run with the Mag cased counterparts...
That being said, I think they are extremely durable... The aforementioned material we scoff at, making them"Cheap", is the same material that gives them the ability to be bounced around in the loader bucket, dropped from the top of the pole barn, fall out of the back of the truck, and run every day with the case packed full of old oil, dirt and sawdust...
PLASTIC...
I've seen the neighbors around here do some pretty horrible things to these farm bosses... Even melt the plastic to where it droops from burning brush piles... 15 to 20 years of farm use is not even uncommon for these saws.
The 039, I believe is a "respectable" performer... Nice fit with an 18" bar... Port them and give them a triple port muffler, and you got a good runner.
Make them black, and you got JUST PLAIN SEXY!!!!
:hell_boy:

[video=youtube;SbWnNw-PTQU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbWnNw-PTQU&list=UUfB03KVhJRBISPufMa8F7GA&index=55&feature=plcp[/video]
That's bad ass!

It's covered in hedge sap and all sorts of other nasty now...
But the BIL brings it over every so often to be sharpened and checked out...
And cleaned... :dizzy:
Still running like a real saw!!!
What did you use to black it out? Did it hold up good on the bar?

What did you use to black it out? Did it hold up good on the bar?

You can cook those plastic chassis in dye... Changes the color of the plastic. So it's as durable as the original color.. Bars on the other hand just get painted and baked...
Not awesom, but keeps em from rusting..

If that housing won't survive a 390 motor how does a factory 390 survive? It's the same part. Some people need to learn how to read a parts book. I would love to hear his explanation of how this is even possible.

Take it with a grain of salt like I did. It is not that big of a deal. Just someones opinion not mine. Heck some people think the 029 super is a good saw. Even I have a few Husqvarna 350 home owner saws. Remember not all grains are the same size and one size don`t fit all.

Take it with a grain of salt like I did. It is not that big of a deal. Just someones opinion not mine. Heck some people think the 029 super is a good saw. Even I have a few Husqvarna 350 home owner saws. Remember not all grains are the same size and one size don`t fit all.

That's a saw I wouldn't mind having...
I've run some vicious 350's...
They're not without some inherent issues, but when overcome, will slap the crap out of a stock 346...:msp_wink:

Latest posts

Back