3/8 chain gauge .050 .058 .063 What do you run and why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What gauge is your 3/8 chain.

• Total voters
I prefer the .050 because of availability, but the .058 has more oil holding capacity and more lug surface area in the drive sprocket.

I give more mental consideration when choosing .325 vs .375 than I do to lug width.

I prefer the .050 because of availability, but the .058 has more oil holding capacity and more lug surface area in the drive sprocket.

This is what I was thinking as well.

Keep the replies coming guys. I was looking for a 24" RW bar, but it looks like many of the options are only available in .058 gauge, which is not common locally.

I've been wondering about chain gauges lately too. Why the different gauges? Just so the heavier gauge lasts longer? Is there a measurable weight difference?

.050 - its what was on the first saw that i bought new (ms361)

AND thinner is lighter and lighter is faster. Right? Lol

Actually, the .050 is narrower and has more room in the kerf so there's less parasitic drag. But the reality is we're talking about 4 hairs width difference - could you pass a blind test on a saw between .050 and .058 - or be able to say "this saw has .058" by merely running it? I know I couldn't, so I run what I can get. 20" and under is .050 around here, and 24" is .058.

Even so, I still order most of my chains. I buy local if I need a replacement in a hurry, but lately I've just resorted to buying extra loops when ordering.

.063" is what almost all of mine are now. That way it's the same as the 32-42" bars

.050" gauge is what all my saws, ever, came with, LP or not. Standard stuff around here, and I've no problem with it, never had any questions about DLs not being strong enough.

So, .050" gauge is what came on the reels I use. Don't you like K.I.S.S.? (But WTF is with Stihl and .063"? Divide & conquer?) I'll pass.

My first new Jonsered had .058.So I kept that with all my saws. Except the Sugi Hara,which came as .050

I run .050

I started with it because it allows the bar rails to have the most meat, chains are cheaper than bars. Still havent thrown or damaged any chain

No problems running my 32" setups the last 10 years, I dont expect my new 36" setup to have any eithor

Latest posts

Back