346 vs 350

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 350 is a composite bodied saw with a cylinder that bolts to it and the 346 is a magnesium crankcase saw. The 350 has 3.2hp and the powerhead weighs under 11#. The 346NE has 3.7 hp and the powerhead weighs 11# plus a few ounces. The 346 is a pro saw and is a higher rpm saw. I have both and even though the 346 is faster and built better and more fun to run, both will cut plenty of wood.

I have a 350 because I got it for $120

attachment.php

Less plastic on the 346. Are you a pro? Buy a pro saw. Last 346 I bought 5 years ago for $450. I sold it this year for $300 and bought a new one.

Resale alone is worth the price difference. Plus you won't have stuff breaking, stuff that shouldn't remain broken, like the chain catch, which I am betting is plastic on the 350.

Spend the extra $ and you will have less problems long-term.

I think either way ya cant loose. The 350 is a super good saw from what I have used one. Very close in power to the 346. However, I like the idea of buying the 346 as its a pro saw and IMO a good investment. But really either way ya go ya cant loose.:msp_wink:

I have 5 - 350s and one 346.I like them both very well.To me if your not cutting wood full time a 350 will do just great for almost anything.At a lot less cost.Its very hard to tell any difference in them cutting?

I have 5 - 350s and one 346.I like them both very well.To me if your not cutting wood full time a 350 will do just great for almost anything.At a lot less cost.Its very hard to tell any difference in them cutting?

I agree 110%. The 350 remined me so much of the 346 power wise weight wise and all really.

It's a short list if you talk similarities.

I did do some swapping the pistons on 2 of them.Took the dished out piston and replaced it with golf flat top pistons plus opened the mufflers a bit.One I put a chicom 44mm P&C on.Can't tell any difference in it than a 45mm?One of the others I just did my first port job on with a 44mm P&C of some brand?The other I bought a new 45mm P&C that is being ported by a good friend LOL The 346 was worked over by Mastermind pop up ported and all the good stuff!Haven't got to run it yet!The best thing to do with the 350 is swap out the piston and open the muffler!Its cheap and easy to do.About 30 to 40 bucks and it is all you will ever need!And get rid of the limiters on the carb so it can be tuned right!

Yep, the 350 was/is a very good for a "homeowner" saw with a plastic case, . :msp_smile:

Putting a 50cc 346xp engine in it is reported to be quite easy......

I've had both, still have the 350 and sold the 346. The 350 I have suits my cutting style better, it has more torque in the cut and I can lean on it, the 346 had to be dealt with a light touch to make it happy.
BUT, and this is a big but, there were several incarnations of the 350, they are not all created equal! I have an early version with the closed ports and a flat top piston. Some have closed ports with a dished piston, then later on they had open ports with a dished piston. Clear as mud? A 346 is a 346 is a 346 other than the OE vs NE, which I haven't run a NE yet so I can't judge them. As for knowing which 350 you have or are going to buy, you have to tear it down, that's the only thing I've found to get to the honest truth.
As for the plastic crankcase, if you manage to damage it you just did something flat stupid! I dropped a tree on one, we hunted for 30min to find all the parts, put it back together and went back to cutting! I've got over eight years on mine, it's been beat like a dog and is still my most reliable saw! So don't take the plastic crankcase to heart at all!

A 350 is the first saw I bought when I started cutting firewood, then I found AS and read all the hype about the 346, so I saved up and found a great deal on a new one and when I got it I will have to say I was somewhat disappointed. I will probably get grilled for saying that but that's just my opinion. I sold my 350 and regret it now, but there is nothing I can do about it. I also sold my 346xp and have never had remorse. The biggest difference I paid $150 for the 350 and I paid $400 for the 346xp. Both ran great all day flawlessly, but the 346 just didn't run $250 worth better. I now have an 026 and it is an even bigger disappointment so it will be leaving soon also. I have a free 350 thats a basket case that I will rebuild for my 50cc saw. I don't use a 50cc saw enough to have super duper wang bang high dollar one.

Now I won't say what I have in my 371xp but to me it's worth a lot more than I could get out of it. I use it for everything I do pretty much, limbing and all. It not only puts a smile on my face when I run it but when I'm in the cut I will look up and everyone watching is grinning too. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, but I would not trade two brand new 346xp's for my 371xp there I said it.

Back