346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I basically do what you said on bike engines, except I'll briefly use full throttle, though not in neutral or the lowest gears.

I really want to hear Dan's answer about the saws.  My understanding is that the stock cheap (simple) carbs don't really have provision for part-throttle accuracy, and that saws are meant to be pegged anyway (though not held that way from limb to limb) if not idling.  Therefore I do much the same with a new saw as you described, but with no (or extremely little) part-throttle use, with "normal" full-throttle use, and no prolonged idling except for somewhat longer than normal to gradually get the saw up to temperature and again after full-throttle use before shutting it off.  Basically, just use it in the way I ever would, but a bit more intermittently and gradual for the first few tanks.

Glen

comparison

This is of interest to me as well, since I'm getting rid of the Walkerized 394XP and I'm going to replace it with either a 346XP or a Stihl 260. My theory is that my arms feel like they are going to fall off after an hour of cutting with the 394, so in a day I'll be able to do more work with the smaller saws.

Any recommendations between these two saws? I haven't decided if I'm going to get the new one modified (I lucked into the old one already modified on eBay).

-Craig

Got my new 346XP

Got my new 346XP and all I can say is what a saw...I am running a 18" bar and chain on it...Cuts like crazy....The only question I have is how do you know if you are using enough bar oil...Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but I am new to owning my own saw...Also, how do I adjust the chain oiler on it if it is not using enough....Thanks, Joe

Yah Brian,

After the first 18 pages of kickback warnings, they actually talk about the saw and where stuff is and where stuff goes and stuff.:D

I have a stock 346xp.. And for a stock saw i love it. For me it feels more comfertable as far as vibration then the 026pro . expechially when running it for long periods of time.. The only time it hasent run right for me was when i was cutting fire wood with my uncle and i used his gas in it which was mixed for his 351 , same mix as the 346.. but the gas was old and in the my 346 it really made her bog down and be unresponsive.. Hoever it didnt seem to be affecting his 351.. a bit od that It didnt.. but as soon as i get fresh mix in it it was back to its old self again.

Ryan- sounds like you may have gotten a lemon or something if you are having those problems with it. Why dont you just take it back to the dealer and have it serviced. Any good dealer should be able to find and fix problems .. Iwouldent JB weld my ignition wire on . What happens now if you ever have to take the saw appart? I work on my own saws after warenty is up.. But intill then its the dealer if anything goes wrong.

Arborman, I have since (knock on wood) gotten my problems straightend out. As far as the ignition wire goes I just put a VERY SMALL amount of JB weld on it and am still able to take it off if I need to without any problems.

Latest posts

Back