357xp vs. 372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you inquired at the home depot about buying the 6400 as a used rental?

No, but you may have noticed that I just rented one. They wern't selling used ones at this time, but the new ones were $559. The used ones, at least the 4 that I inspected, had seen some hard use. For the price I think I stay on track and shoot for one of the Huskys still.

Last edited:
I put a 16" and 9T on my 084 for kicks the other day, might have to try the 10T next.;)

how did it run with a 16" bar, I have just bought a 17" bar for my 084 on an 8T .404 is yours .404 or 3/8ths? cant wait to see how it cuts through the logs!!!

The 6401 weights about like the 372xp, but has a lot less power (but still more than the 357xp) , so now you have a referance......:D :rockn:

Now that I've felt the power of the 6401 it's going to be hard for me live with less. :dizzy:

how did it run with a 16" bar, I have just bought a 17" bar for my 084 on an 8T .404 is yours .404 or 3/8ths? cant wait to see how it cuts through the logs!!!

16" 3/8 050 64DL running 9T, here it is running to different muffler covers during testing.
Copyof084mufflercovertest001.jpg

Copyof084mufflercovertest004.jpg

One advantage of the 372XP over the 357XP is a greater variety of bars to choose from. The 372 uses the "large mount" Husky pattern which is very common. The 357 uses the "small mount" Husky pattern. Another 372 advantage is the inboard clutch. It is easier to change chains and drive rims over the outboard clutch of the 357. Both, however, are top notch saws.
:chainsaw:

One advantage of the 372XP over the 357XP is a greater variety of bars to choose from. The 372 uses the "large mount" Husky pattern which is very common. The 357 uses the "small mount" Husky pattern. Another 372 advantage is the inboard clutch. It is easier to change chains and drive rims over the outboard clutch of the 357. Both, however, are top notch saws.

That is all true - as you know the MS361 is a better option than the 357xp - it has all the nice features that the 357 doesn't have, and is lighter and slightly more powerful......:yoyo: :yoyo: :blob2: :blob2:

if there was a $150 price difference.........

I can hardly wait to get one of these saws after hearing you guys talk about how smooth they are and how they're light years ahead of what I've been using...lol I'm pumped!

It's sounding like for the extra $50 bucks the 372 is a lot of extra saw. If the 357 was priced more squarely in between the 346 and 372 I'd probably go with the 357. I'm leaning towards the 372 with 20 inch bar.

I sure appreciate all of the input from you guys. I'm amazed at the number of responses in such a short time. Ya'll are saw nutz!

i would still get the 372 over the 357.

It's for the powerhead, bar, and total of 3 chains at Norwalk Powers Equiment. Also it's $60 more than the 357. It sure seems like a good deal on this particular model.

http://www.norwalkpower.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=221

A very good price with all the extras too!
It really gives me the bug to buy a 372.
I already have a 357, 262, and a 575. But what the heck is one more saw.
Had my 357 woodsported about a year ago. This put a stop to my partner saying that his 357 was faster than mine.

I wonder which saw, 357 vs 372 gains more through mods?

If I wasn't still giggling about the fun I had cutting wood with that 6401 I'd have been sad about having to return it to the Home Depot. It was sorta hard to return that rental. Well, that was certainly a valuable experience toward purchasing a new saw. Except for the initial ... "holy cow!" when first reving and cutting with it, it never seemed to be too much saw for me. It actually felt like I was working less with this than I did with the 11 pound Poulan. I got used to the power and weight very quickly.

I'm really leaning towards the 372xp now. Saw Troll really had my eyebrows raised when he said that the 372xp was a lot more power that the 6401 while being the same weight. I guess now that I've had a taste of the power and practiced with a saw of the same dimmensions that I could probably handle the 372. I think I'll enjoy owning and running a saw that's a class above what I really need.

I'll probably order it up on monday along with safety chaps. I felt a little bit expossed today when using such a powerful tool without them. It kept me hyper-aware though..which was good.

Thanks everyone for all the recommendations and help. :cool:

If I wasn't still giggling about the fun I had cutting wood with that 6401 I'd have been sad about having to return it to the Home Depot. It was sorta hard to return that rental. Well, that was certainly a valuable experience toward purchasing a new saw. Except for the initial ... "holy cow!" when first reving and cutting with it, it never seemed to be too much saw for me. It actually felt like I was working less with this than I did with the 11 pound Poulan. I got used to the power and weight very quickly.

I'm really leaning towards the 372xp now. Saw Troll really had my eyebrows raised when he said that the 372xp was a lot more power that the 6401 while being the same weight. I guess now that I've had a taste of the power and practiced with a saw of the same dimmensions that I could probably handle the 372. I think I'll enjoy owning and running a saw that's a class above what I really need.

I'll probably order it up on monday along with safety chaps. I felt a little bit expossed today when using such a powerful tool without them. It kept me hyper-aware though..which was good.

I think it's a mistake to start with a bigger saw than you need. Now you've limited how many times you can say, "I need a bigger saw.":deadhorse:

I think it's a mistake to start with a bigger saw than you need. Now you've limited how many times you can say, "I need a bigger saw.":deadhorse:

Good point, I have a 357xp, the $5 Mac isn't really cutting it for me as a 71cc saw, so I have plenty of room for bigger saws, but need to seek out some larger jobs than my firewood, some big cottonwoods on my Uncle's ranch have broken and need serious work. Prolly need a 7900 for those though, or a 460 in west coast style if money were no object.

as much as i love the 372.........

the dolmar 7900 weighs about a pound less and has almost another HP.unfortunatly dealer support around here isn't the greatest.

The one thing that I have noticed is that the larger saws might only be a pound or so difference in weight (this is the case with the 357 and the 372) but that incremental increase in weight translates to a larger engine, AND larger fuel and oil tanks. Once you fill those up, the weight difference is substantial.
Just something to consider.

Day in, day out, I tend to grab the 357xp. It is PLENTY of saw to pull a 20" bar (sorry Troll), but that being said, I usually run mine with a 16.
It is light, powerful, and I personally could cut all day with it.

Problem is, as you have already noticed, power is addictive, and you will soon want to run the smallest reasonable bar on the saw.

I have to mention that I only cut hardwoods, unless some crappy pulp wood falls over, blocking my path. :D

I run the 20" on my Dolmar 7900, which you should think about checking out as well. Probably the best power/weight ratio of any saw out there.
It really makes the 372 kinda pointless imho.
372 dry weight - 13.4 lb hp=5.4
7900 dry weight - 13.6 lb - hp= 6.3

Perhaps you would consider a 2 saw plan? :rockn:

That clear things up for ya? :laugh:

the dolmar 7900 weighs about a pound less and has almost another HP.unfortunatly dealer support around here isn't the greatest.

They weight practically the same (and the same as the 6401), unless the 372 is a full wrap version, but the 7900 has one of the very best power to weight ratios out there - if not the very best......:blob2:

The 372xp surely isn't "pointless", if you doesn't really need the added power of the 7900.

Last edited:
The quality of the fit and finish of Husqvarna, to me anyway, is a lot nicer and sleeker than that of the Dolmars.

I haven't seen many Dolmars, but from what I have seen there is not a lot of difference, but surely some.....

If you are after the best looking saws, go with Jonsered........:biggrinbounce2:

Latest posts

Back