359/956/290 Help Deciding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

branman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello All,
I am in the market for a good firewood and general cleanup saw. It wouldn't see a whole lot of use year over year, but I would like it to last a long time. I am deciding between the Husky 359, Stihl 290 or similar and the Efco 956 (or John Deere/Cub Cadet equivilant). Probably an 18-20" bar length. I would love to gain from anyones knowledge and experience with these saws. I am also open to other suggestions. Thank You!!

I bought a 290 last year and have been very happy with it. Not a "Pro" level saw, Stihl calls it semi-pro, but for what I use it for, and the price paid ($US300) good value. Has an 18" bar. If you want to spend a lot more there are better saws out there, but if $$$ or the amount you will be using it enter into the equation, give it consideration.

My opinion of the Stihl 290 is a bit lower than the other two; based on a bro- in-laws (kinda heavy and not-too-powerful) 039.

But I would base my decision on dealer support in your situation. If you don't plan on using it really hard, any of them will last a long time. Indeed, the most likely problem will be a yearly tune up to clean out the cobwebs from long storage. Go with the shop that gives you the best vibe, even if there's a slightly better deal across the street.

You want light and powerful, go pro. You want to spend less and not as concerned about weght, buy consumer.
The 029/290 is proving very durable for the weekend warrior type user. Still all running around here, must have sold 150+.

Thank you so much for everyones valuable opinions. I have it narrowed down to a 359/2159 or a John Deere CS 62 (Efco 962). I can get either saw locally for the same price. The JD has much more power but I am not sure if it compares quality wise? Also, why is the 359 rated at 3.9hp whereas the 2159 is rated at 4.1hp?
Thanks!

Given what you've narrowed it down to, I'd go with the CS 62 in a heartbeat. Olympyks (John Deeres and Efcos) are as reliable and tough as you can get. I have an old 355 Olympyk that still runs like new, and a 951 that is my favorite saw when cutting trees 14" and under. Dealer service is another question. I enjoy working on my saws.

Pat

Who says an 029 can't run. Here's a clip of one built by Tom Fales. This saw smokes, let's say one of the best chain filers did the chain but maybe these 029's are under rated.

Mark, a quick flip through that video clip reveals that the saw has its fuel tank separate from the engine case, hence no 029.

Glen

Oh, branman, of the two you're pondering, I'd rather see you get the <a href="http://www2.emak.it/" target="_blank">Emak</a> than the Elux.

Glen

efco 962/956

i just bought a friend of mine a cs56 john deere new on ebay for 250.00us dollars/shipping included.i was amazed how well this saw is put together.it is just as well built as my husky 357xp and close to it on power.cant beat the price.

I haven't personally run any of the saws listed but it should be noted that if you are looking at a 359 at a local dealer that puts you in ms390 price range. That is 10cc more than the ms290 at the same weight.

Matt

Back