36" bar Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats what i was thinking. I think if i were to buy new MS650 for the price you quoted me earlier, if i get time today after my brake job n work, ill head over to my local stihl dealer and check out the 650 and its price.
Btw, wheres the best place to buy saw parts from either OEM or "mod" parts, ive seen some stuff for the MS650 from baileys but not a whole lot.
The suggested price from a local shop on the stihl website is 939 for the MS650, usually how much less is the actual price on these saws at the dealer?

Last edited:
thats what i was thinking. I think if i were to buy new MS650 for the price you quoted me earlier, if i get time today after my brake job n work, ill head over to my local stihl dealer and check out the 650 and its price.

I think Lakeside said that the Stihl NW "Special" MSRP pricing on them was around $800, so the deal should work in OR. I bought mine in Centralia with a 28" bar full wrap (already had a 32") for $730...that was the price on the tag; i.e. no negotiation. I think that 460s wrap with a 28" were around $780.

in your professional opinion would the 460 be a better bet than the 650?

im trying to get a saw that will rip some serious wood, and from what i know about racing usually the larger engines with higher hp are faster and get lower times than the smaller engines, but if ya have a lighter weight car with less hp you can do just as well, sooo....

in your professional opinion would the 460 be a better bet than the 650?

im trying to get a saw that will rip some serious wood, and from what i know about racing usually the larger engines with higher hp are faster and get lower times than the smaller engines, but if ya have a lighter weight car with less hp you can do just as well, sooo....

First of all, I am not a professional logger. However, I have been cutting for many years, and have first hand experience with both saws.

The 460 is a little more versatile than the 650 since it weighs less and is physically a bit smaller. In your original question, you wanted something that would pull a 36" bar. The 460 can pull a 32" bar, and the 650 can pull it with authority. The 650 would pull the 36" no sweat, in my opinion. For all practical purposes, the 36" is beyond the comfort zone of the 460. Apples to apples, the 650 is significantly more powerful than the 460.

I picked up a dual port cover for my 650, and had them install and tune it for me for $46. Worth every penny. The 650 feels smoother than the 460 too, although I am not sure why.

I guess from those two saws, given the pricing, I would have to opt for the 650 unless I was either a) walking lots and lots or b) if it were my only saw. If either of these conditions were the case, the extra weight would be more noticeable and I'd go with a 460. If you go to Centralia, then you can pick up the 372xpw, the 460, 650, and even the 390xp while your at it. Then you pays your money and makes your choices!

alright thanks for the help, ill see how low the fella goes on the used ms460, since it has been "rebuilt", but i think ill hold off on the 066, since even though its a "good" deal, i think id be safer with a new 650.

Back