36" bar Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can the 440 be modded to rip a log like the 660? As for the 650 vs the 660, would the difference in a few cc's be worth the price? How much do the 650's usually run?

I've run a 660, and the 650 feels pretty much the same to me. I bet you wouldn't notice the difference until you were in really big wood and bars over 36". TBH I can't speak from experience on that, as I've never run a bar bigger than 32", but the 36" is in the plan. I have owned a 460, and do own a 650 and 440, however.

The 440 can never come close to the 650/660, especially as the wood gets bigger. The torque just isn't there. But, the 440 is way easier to lug around and much handier.

The 650's can be had for around $730 in Washington, about $250 less than the 660. The 650 with the factory dual port just rips!

Good luck!

066/660 if your buying used.There is parts galore out there.And they can be had reasonable.Just be careful what you buy.

Can the 440 be modded to rip a log like the 660? As for the 650 vs the 660, would the difference in a few cc's be worth the price? How much do the 650's usually run?

It can... but it will get expensive, and the saw will be taking more abuse than it needs... A 066/660 or a 394XP/395XP will be just fine...

I've never run a 650 so I really can't comment on it. But I have run 066/660's... with 36" and longer bars... The 066/660 for me would be the ticket.

Gary

well ive been hitting craigslist hard again, found a 044 mag, ms460, but the real prize is an ol 066 for $400, im not quite sure what its missing but the guy said something was, lol.
Anyway I've pretty much settled on a used stihl 066/660 or larger, if a husky comes by then ill pick it up.

I want a saw to last me and rip through logs like its no mans business.

kinda like this?

;)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q_S5NlNSQmQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q_S5NlNSQmQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:cheers:

well for 900 for the 046 I might as well spend an extra 100 and purchase the MS660 or spend less for the MS650. I might have a used 066 in a few days I found a fella with a pretty godo deal on one.
What would be a good bar and chain combo to run on it if I was going to go cut n buck some second/third growth fir?

well for 900 for the 046 I might as well spend an extra 100 and purchase the MS660 or spend less for the MS650. I might have a used 066 in a few days I found a fella with a pretty godo deal on one.
What would be a good bar and chain combo to run on it if I was going to go cut n buck some second/third growth fir?

Where are you in Oregon? Do you ever head up I-5 towards Centralia? 460's start in the low 700's there; same with the 650's. Even with tax you're way better off. Just a thought.....

This is just a thought but my Dolmar 7900 screams with a 28 inch bar and full comp chain I have cut Oak,Cherry and Hickory with it and havent been able to bog it out. There is a dolmar 6400 for sale in the trading post you could buy for 275.00 and put a 7900 jug and piston on and only have 475.00 in a nice saw. Im not selling this saw just saw that you wanted a saw with some grunt for a decent price.

Where are you in Oregon? Do you ever head up I-5 towards Centralia? 460's start in the low 700's there; same with the 650's. Even with tax you're way better off. Just a thought.....

what he said

madsen's is great!
and their prices are good (hint hint)

alright so I broke down and found an Stihl 066 with the "stage 1 power mod" on it, whatever that is. It'll be just the powerhead, so if I wanted a 24-28" bar what would be a good bar and chain combo for cutting semi-dirty wood out in the PNW?

I would definitely run semi chisel chain but not so sure on the bar I have heard that hard nose is better in dirty conditions.

alright so I broke down and found an Stihl 066 with the "stage 1 power mod" on it, whatever that is. It'll be just the powerhead, so if I wanted a 24-28" bar what would be a good bar and chain combo for cutting semi-dirty wood out in the PNW?

I have to agree, semi chisel is probably the way to go. A 066 will pull a 24-28" w/o a problem so get what you feel is best suited for the wood you cut. If you have a smaller saw for smaller work, going with the longer 28" bar might be a good idea...

alright, so got a question for ya'll. The guy wants 410 for the 066 but hes a private seller and wants the money upfront and ive never seen or held the saw, Is this a sound deal, the guy says it runs and has only used it for cutting firewood, the saw is only the powerhead and ran a 24" bar, the saw does however have a small 1" crack near the end of the bottom plastic handguard.

These saws are closer would they be fine to use, as long as I ran a 28" bar and cut-up blowdowns on our property?
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/tls/753340712.html

If you check them out and make sure they are in decent shape I can say an 051 should pull a 28 inch bar. The 051 was 89cc and they seemed to have more torque in those old saws.

Theres also a MS460 used by a pro logger that has a full-wrap handle and recently rebuilt and modded, for $450.
Now ive heard from a few folks that a loggin saw will only last 18months before it needs work, now im not sure if thats just a retuning or if it needs to be rebuilt, or if its just trash.

Theres also a MS460 used by a pro logger that has a full-wrap handle and recently rebuilt and modded, for $450.
Now ive heard from a few folks that a loggin saw will only last 18months before it needs work, now im not sure if thats just a retuning or if it needs to be rebuilt, or if its just trash.

I would think long and hard about this one. You can buy a saw used by a pro logger (certainly high mileage), for $450. For about $325 more, you can get a brand spanking new full wrap 460 with a warranty. For about $275 more, you can get a new wrap 650. The used saw will almost certainly need some work, misc parts, etc.

If you are looking for a project saw, then the used one may be the way to go. If you need the saw as a reliable tool, then from a cost/benefit perspective the new one is probably a better deal.

:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back