361 Used

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerehunter

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Going to look at a used 361 tonight with no bar.
1. Can I run this saw at all with no bar on it to make sure that it will start?

2. Is $300 fair assuming it is in fair shape or should I haggle?

obviously tough for you guys to say without seeing it but he claims its only a couple years old and that it has the flush mount fill caps for oil and what not.

thanks

Make sure it starts and runs, you can also check the function of the oiler without a B/C. But like said don't hold the throttle wide open.

Also check compression on it.

Also all MS361's have the flip top toolless caps. Check the serial number for age.

If I were selling a saw, at any price, I would not object to someone pulling he plug, muffler, or taking compression test or running it within reason.

CYA is a good idea, but 3-bills for a good-used 361 is a fair price even without a B/C .

I would pull the muffler and look at the P&C.

In my case i would take a bar and chain with me, put them on the saw and give it a whirl in some wood.

He says he bent it. There could be more to it than that so ill see what it looks like.
yup, worth looking at to see what kinda life the saw mighta had

I would pull the muffler and look at the P&C.

In my case i would take a bar and chain with me, put them on the saw and give it a whirl in some wood.

Yup and yup

Maybe stuck in a tree somewhere?

Maybe why he is selling it, he is just not very good with it?

Could be maybe he had one of those crap your pants moments and just wants it gone!

Look at the plastic for cracks , mounts and underside .
If your unfamiliar on how soft the mounts feel go to a dealer and handle a new one for a few minutes and take a good look at the saw so you can compare .

:cheers:

The major problem with running any saw without a bar and chain is that the chain and bar through friction provide load for the engine. The saw was tuned to run with a bar an chain. The saw without a limiter on the coil would lean out and boom goes the piston. However as my understanding goes the 361 has a limited coil so a few blips isn't ging t grenade the saw.

The major problem with running any saw without a bar and chain is that the chain and bar through friction provide load for the engine. The saw was tuned to run with a bar an chain. The saw without a limiter on the coil would lean out and boom goes the piston. However as my understanding goes the 361 has a limited coil so a few blips isn't ging t grenade the saw.

sounds reasonable...
I wonder if anyone ran one with and w/o a b/c to see what the RPM diffs are.
Sorry for the thread drift.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming....

nope

So I go to start it and ask if it has fuel in it. He says yes. I pull the cap and there is about a spoon full of mixed gas in it. I ask if he has any mixed gas otherwise I have some in the truck. He says "I dont think it takes mixed fuel" the price begins drastically coming down in my head. He finds some mixed fuel and fills it about half way. I go to give it a rip and the entire saw comes with the cord. It would pull but there is some major binding and resistance. It almost appears to me that it has been under water at some point. It appeared to have jb weld with paint over top of it on the underside of the saw also. I ask him how much as is hoping to still get it for about $50. He goes in the house to ask (Im assuming his dad even though this guy was like 35) and comes out saying "he" said $225 as is. I told him I would hang on to the phone number and left.

too good to be true, story of my life.

So I go to start it and ask if it has fuel in it. He says yes. I pull the cap and there is about a spoon full of mixed gas in it. I ask if he has any mixed gas otherwise I have some in the truck. He says "I dont think it takes mixed fuel" the price begins drastically coming down in my head. He finds some mixed fuel and fills it about half way. I go to give it a rip and the entire saw comes with the cord. It would pull but there is some major binding and resistance. It almost appears to me that it has been under water at some point. It appeared to have jb weld with paint over top of it on the underside of the saw also. I ask him how much as is hoping to still get it for about $50. He goes in the house to ask (Im assuming his dad even though this guy was like 35) and comes out saying "he" said $225 as is. I told him I would hang on to the phone number and left.

too good to be true, story of my life.

Hmm, he said he thinks it dosen't take mix fuel. Sounds like scored piston from being run on straight gas alright.

Check out the thread I started doing a search for "Used MS361" it was on the 4th page after i typed it in. Pay special attention to Serial Killers reply (the long one) He is a wealth of knowledge. learn from it, rep him, THEN go look at the saw.

PS Everyone else posts were great too Serial Killer just really took the time to me out and hopefully he can help you too.

Ok, since you're rilly new here I'm gonna assume that you might be new to buying used chainsaws and give you a couple tips that we might be skipping over. I would tend to believe that all Stihl dealers are stand-up individuals, but that might not always be the case.

To tell how much a saw has been used, you look the entire thing over for paint wear.

If the bar is burnt or wear out, it's been used a little. If the wear pattern is fairly even then it's just been used. Bad spots or burn marks are not so good. A "brand new bar and chain!!!!!" is not really a selling point. As an avid chainsaw buyer, I have oodles of bars and chains laying around and even if I wanted to buy a brand new one I'd like to shop around and pick the exact one I want.

If the paint on the bottom is wore out, that means that it's been bounced around in the back of a truck. That's not always so bad, because I could drive around with a saw in my pickup for a year and only use it once. The ones you are looking out for are the ones that also have bad cracking somewhere or a chunk missing or have been bounced around in the back of a tree service truck for a year and used by half-drunk laborers who don't have a clue.

If the paint on the starter cover is wore out, that's a bad sign. If the cover grid is full of muck, that ain't good either. If it's got a little sawdust, that's normal. If it's immaculate, you need to figure out why. Is it a brand new cover, a brand new saw, or did an unscrupulous logging company blow it out with an air hose and some Windex before they dumped it? You should be able to read the model number on the starter cover on a 361. I think the felling sights come painted black on that side and they should probably have some paint left too.

If the paint on the front of the powerhead is wore out, that's no good. I means someone has bashed it off a bunch of logs. If it is worn, check and make sure the dog mounting points and the muffler and the oil tank and its filler neck are all still intact. One of the 361s I bought this year had a busted dog mount that I haven't yet fixed to my satisfaction.

If the paint is wore out on the clutch cover, that means the thing has cut a fair number of stumps or bashed against something in the back of a truck. A 361 really shouldn't be a stumper, so watch yourself.

By now, you should have noticed whether any of the handles are cracked or any of the controls broke or missing. If anything has been intentionally removed or modified, someone has either used this saw in a professional manner or done a half-assed fix on it. If they were making money with the thing, why sell it? If it was busted, was it busted so badly that it wasn't worth fixing right?

I think I covered most of it. If not, just get a compression check and flee the crime scene before forensics shows up.

THIS IS WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR.

Latest posts

Back