361 vs husky 365

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawentusiast

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hello,
i want to get this one cleared out once and for all.
which saw has the best reputation. 361 stihl or 365 husky.
which has most power (real world performance, not paper figs)
durability?
easiest starting in winterseason??
fuel (oil) consumption
robustness??

what to choose???

Pick a winner. Although, if I were looking at the 365, I'd give careful consideration to the 372 which is built on the same chassis, although it would cost a bit more.

You would be happy with either saw, I know I would be...am...AND, if you buy a 372, you could justify buying a 361 later, or vice-versa. Buy the 361 now and then justify the 372. Now that is a plan that an AS member could live with.

Mark

Different saws

Those are different saws. Stihl haven´t any model than 365. There is a professional saw whit non profesional name.

Stihl ms 361: 59 cc, 5,6kg, 4,6 hp.
Husky 365: 65,1cc, 6,0kg, 4,6hp.

Power are equal, Stihl more revs, Husky more torque. Duration, Husky are in theory more durable for the same power (more weight). Professional caracteristiques in the two: Magnesium crankcase, Mahle cilinder, etc...
Personaly, I prefer the Husky, and modded, the Husky is really a big machine.

hello,
which saw has the best reputation. 361 stihl or 365 husky.
which has most power (real world performance, not paper figs)
durability?
easiest starting in winterseason??
fuel (oil) consumption
robustness??

what to choose???

They are both good saws. As far as durability, winter starting, and power, and reputation they are pretty similiar so I would scratch those off. It all comes down to a few characterstics in which they differ and how important are they to you?

1) Dealer support - which one offers the best local dealer support?
2) Power to weight ratio - Stihl MS361
3) Fuel consumption - Stihl MS361
4) Ability to upgrade - Husky 365 - You are able to upgrade your 365 to a 372 by replacing the piston and cylinder and a few other small odds and ends.
5) Comfort - Individual tastes - Go to your local dealers and see which one feels better to you.
6) Price - Stihl MS361 - I would guess it would be cheaper based upon what I hear from SawTroll.

I think in the end you would be probably happy with either of them. You just need to determine what is important to you individually.

I looked at both saws. I ended up getting the 365 for three reasons really. 1- I like the feel of the Husky's, 2- I liked the reputation the 365 had for having more torque, I use my saw for felling and blocking up to 20 inch hardwood for firewood mainly so weight wasn't an issue and 3- the 365 cost less money. I paid $537 plus tax for 365 with two chains. The MS361 cost $600 plus tax with one chain in my area. I don't think either saw is better then the other. Truth be told the MS361 and 357XP would be a better comparison as far as equals go. If you're looking at these two saw though, I would go with dealer support and get the saw that feels the best to you. You're not going to go wrong with either brand. ;)

Pick a winner. Although, if I were looking at the 365, I'd give careful consideration to the 372 which is built on the same chassis, although it would cost a bit more.

You would be happy with either saw, I know I would be...am...AND, if you buy a 372, you could justify buying a 361 later, or vice-versa. Buy the 361 now and then justify the 372. Now that is a plan that an AS member could live with.

Mark

Well said - I have a 361W and a 372xpg - the real powerhead weight differense is larger than the ones in the specs, and there is a notisable difference in powerhead bulk as well.

The 365 (or the 362xp) never really were candidates, because of the weight and bulk issues, without the added power of the 372xp .

...and the 361 is a price bargain here, compared to the Huskys, at least if you buy from a "Stihl-Butikken" dealer.

I have owned and used both for full time logging (east coast) .The 365 is superior to the 361 in all aspects of logging here. More power, uses less fuel, durability is almost the same but there have been issues with cases breaking on the 361. The plain 361's are useless here in the winter due to the high moisture content in the air. Even the winter kits don't stop them from icing up. Not an issue with the 365. Things may be different in other areas, but here the 365 is the best of the 2. Price of 361 is $749 plus 14% tax. 365 is $675 plus tax.

Last edited:
hello,

Ah, NOTHING ever gets settled on this site "once and for all", it just goes on and on......:popcorn:

But I've got a few questions concerning these power specs that are being quoted. Just how relevant are they in the woods? And more than that, how are they obtained? Do they hook up a saw to a dyno and measure it without a bar and chain? Can a test simulate the different load characteristics of 10" pine as opposed to 20" white oak?

Granted, they may provide a common point of reference. But so many posters tell of experiences that give very different impressions of a saws power in different species and sizes of wood. The wood pile is a different environment than the lab.

I have owned and used both for full time logging (east coast) .The 365 is superior to the 361 in all aspects of logging here. More power, uses less fuel, durability is almost the same but there have been issues with cases breaking on the 361. The plain 361's are useless here in the winter due to the high moisture content in the air. Even the winter kits don't stop them from icing up. Not an issue with the 365. Things may be different in other areas, but here the 365 is the best of the 2. Price of 361 is $749 plus 14% tax. 365 is $675 plus tax.
Interesting I've never heard anyone talk about having issues with 361 cases breaking and I really wouldn't think it would be anymore susceptable to damage than any other mag cased stihl. I also would have never guessed the 365 to be more fuel efficient than the 361. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

hello,

yeah u got me there spike60. that's true.
Well i'm impressed of the response on this issue
i really want a 372 xp, since this saw got a very good rep, thus do the 361.
i 've tought bthis over and over, and it surely comes down to economy. confusing is just a beginning...my head is full of models, and good advices, and i'm troubled with too many choices as do we all. exept those who have found their favorite equipment. it's tru as sawtroll says, the huskys are way too expensive compared with those stihls, but with the huskys i have the ability to pay over time, without rents!! stihl norway, dont have a system as far as i know, whereas i can pay over time. its confusing say at least. anyway, i'm in the process of getting a second job, so i may be able to get me an 372 xp. that is my first choice. its powerful and very robust ive heard, that is all i'm after, too bad it doesnt have safety chain, but then i just have to keep that in mind working with it in the forest!
the reason i want a 365 is that its cheaper than 372, but with almost same power in the real world as 372, or that is what ive heard. it got more torq too.
confusing? yes, but i greetu all for doing ur best to let me know what in ur mind is the best choice, i really wont need mor info, so thanks again

i have a 365special and it has always been a good saw. the thing built the house i live in :D
my intake boot broke in june which led to it runing hot and blowing the cylinder and piston. i bought a 76cc big bore kit from bailies and put that on the thing and boy does it go now. its basiclaly a slightly larger 372xp now.
but even when it was stock it was a good saw that was very powerfull. i also have a 371xp and it has always been able to keep up to that without much of a noticable difference. i highly recomend the 365 it just feels good.

thanks kurt
i'm going to fell some gran and bjørk with the saw. I'm not sure if gran or bjørk is hardwood, i'm really not into woodtypes.
Wether its hard or soft,i want a saw wihich will endure, will take some beating and not brake at the first attempt, and with undisputable power, plowing thru the wood as a knife thru..and u know this metaphor he,he.
for thast purpose the 372 xp will suffice, but here in norway, its rather expensive. Yes i think 365 will do as well, but with more monye in it i will get the 372 which are more robust, am i right??
the reason i wont buy stihl, is that i cannot pay over time unless i get me a loan with rents going aces high. with huskys i can get a loan ,but with very low rent, thats it.
I forgot to tell people i'm a beginner, but have tried some chainsaws...

thanks kurt
i'm going to fell some gran and bjørk with the saw....

Gran = Spruce - softwood

Bjørk = Birch - hardwood, but not a really hard one, specially in Southern Norway, where they grow faster than up here.....

Bjørk makes much better firewood than gran.

a 70cc saw is a big one for a beginner. Be sure to get yourself some Protective gear.
Good advice. I would recommend borrowing a smaller saw to get some cutting time. I started with a 031AV many years ago, it was good starter saw.

I guess I'm not sure what all your going to be using it for and how your situation differs from sawtrolls, but i assume the size and species of the wood are the same. Taking that into consideration, I would probably opt for the 365 to save a few $. SawTroll seems to think the 361 (60cc saw) is plenty adequate for most everything he encounters.

thanks kurt
i'm going to fell some gran and bjørk with the saw. I'm not sure if gran or bjørk is hardwood, i'm really not into woodtypes.
Wether its hard or soft,i want a saw wihich will endure, will take some beating and not brake at the first attempt, and with undisputable power, plowing thru the wood as a knife thru..and u know this metaphor he,he.
for thast purpose the 372 xp will suffice, but here in norway, its rather expensive. Yes i think 365 will do as well, but with more monye in it i will get the 372 which are more robust, am i right??
the reason i wont buy stihl, is that i cannot pay over time unless i get me a loan with rents going aces high. with huskys i can get a loan ,but with very low rent, thats it.
I forgot to tell people i'm a beginner, but have tried some chainsaws...
From what I've been told by guys that have ran both the 365/2165 and the 372/2171 you won't notice the increased power the 372/2171 has over the 365/2165 until you get into 18 inches (46 centimeters, I think!) or so hardwoods. If the wood you'll be cutting is under 18 inches (46cm) I'd save a little money and get the 365. No sense spending money on something you really don't need............unless you want too that is! :D

Latest posts

Back