361 vs husky 365

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I've been told by guys that have ran both the 365/2165 and the 372/2171 you won't notice the increased power the 372/2171 has over the 365/2165 until you get into 18 inches (46 centimeters, I think!) or so hardwoods. If the wood you'll be cutting is under 18 inches (46cm) I'd save a little money and get the 365. No sense spending money on something you really don't need............unless you want too that is! :D

Unless you put a larger sprocket on the 372.....

...and it will be a tad faster also with less load, as it revs higher....

The 361 revs even higher, and probably would beat both in really small wood - but who cares.....

Last edited:
I guess I'm not sure what all your going to be using it for and how your situation differs from sawtrolls, but i assume the size and species of the wood are the same. Taking that into consideration, I would probably opt for the 365 to save a few $. SawTroll seems to think the 361 (60cc saw) is plenty adequate for most everything he encounters.

Good question, I surely didn't need the 372xp - I just wanted it....:blob2:

yes!
ireally don't need the 70 cc, BUT IT SURE MAKES AN EXCELENT CHOICE IF POWER IS APPRECIATED, TO SAy AT LEAST. i was even thinking of the 395 xp once, but luckely, i didnt put thoughts into action, regarding this. he,he.
i think 365 with 16 inch will be sufficient nuff said..
i 'm confused again. Does the 365 have much more grunt than 361??
sawtroll claim the 361v to be the "winner" it spins faster than 365. I belive i will take the one with most torq. I think i will read the 70 cc topic, and make some opinion,
u vonitnue to impress with inputs, i certainly need inputs as the beginner i am.
IS THE 70 CC SAWS MORE DANGEROUS THAN LESSER CC SAWS?? STUP QUESTION BUT WHAT THE HECK..

If you want "grunt" as you put it , take the 365. The 361 is no match for the 365. Here the 359 has more grunt than a 361. I am no fan of a stock 361. I sold my last stock one because my 5100 Dolmar was so close in performance that the 361 stayed on the truck. Get a 365 and don't look back.

Only like personal information on my new 372xp.
These are my weights:

1º does not have gasoline, oil nor bar. (13,66 Lb 6.2Kgr)

372xp-weight1.jpg

2º with bar of 18” (45cm). 16.75 Lb 7.6kgr)

372xp-weight2.jpg

My weighing machine work perfectly.

Last edited:
yes!
ireally don't need the 70 cc, BUT IT SURE MAKES AN EXCELENT CHOICE IF POWER IS APPRECIATED, TO SAy AT LEAST. i was even thinking of the 395 xp once, but luckely, i didnt put thoughts into action, regarding this. he,he.
i think 365 with 16 inch will be sufficient nuff said..
i 'm confused again. Does the 365 have much more grunt than 361??
sawtroll claim the 361v to be the "winner" it spins faster than 365. I belive i will take the one with most torq. ..

There is just .1Nm max torque difference in favor of the 365 vs the 361 - shouldn't be notisable at all, specially not with a 16" bar...:biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2:

..and the rather heavy 365 sure will feel a bit funny with a 16" - but it is perfect on the much lighter 361.....

Last edited:
Only like personal information on my new 372xp.
These are my weights:

1º does not have gasoline, oil nor bar. (13,66 Lb 6.2Kgr)

372xp-weight1.jpg

2º with bar of 18” (45cm). 16.75 Lb 7.6kgr)

372xp-weight2.jpg

My weighing machine work perfectly.

Please fill full of bar oil and fuel with the 18 bar and chain attached so we can see the weight as it would be used in the field. Glad to see your weight are dead on too. I have done this with 357,361,7900,372/375 with full fluids ready to go with 16".

Thanks for taking the time and posting the pics etc.

Like the new covers. :clap:

Last edited:
Hello,
Sorry but I could not put it before,it's better late than never :hmm3grin2orange:

This is the weight:Husky 372xp, 18" bar,full gasoline and oil. 18,7 Lb - 8,5Kgr

372xp-weight3.jpg

They are both good saws. As far as durability, winter starting, and power, and reputation they are pretty similiar so I would scratch those off. It all comes down to a few characterstics in which they differ and how important are they to you?

1) Dealer support - which one offers the best local dealer support?
2) Power to weight ratio - Stihl MS361
3) Fuel consumption - Stihl MS361
4) Ability to upgrade - Husky 365 - You are able to upgrade your 365 to a 372 by replacing the piston and cylinder and a few other small odds and ends.
5) Comfort - Individual tastes - Go to your local dealers and see which one feels better to you.
6) Price - Stihl MS361 - I would guess it would be cheaper based upon what I hear from SawTroll.

I think in the end you would be probably happy with either of them. You just need to determine what is important to you individually.

That is right!

My opinion; forget the 365 - think 372xp if you think Husky - but it is a lot more money than the 361 here.

The 361 sure is the nimbler saw to handle in the woods - for stationary cutting it doesn't matter.

Edit; - just realized that this is an old tread......

Last edited:
I'd pick the 365 over the 361. Have owned a couple 365's and ran the 361's. The 361 is lighter in the hands, but also has less power and torque to go with it.

I have ran & maintained the same two 361's with 24" bars since new in 1999 and have never replaced anything but bars, clutches & chains except when somebody has ran them over with the truck and they still run good. I bought a 365 special with 24" bar about 3 years ago for my own personal use because it was $100 cheaper. I don't know all the numbers between the two but this is what I figure.

365 - feels heavier
- the throttle seems more wide open, seems to only make power at full or near full throttle
- harder starting when cold

361 - feels lighter, less tiring to use for full day
- seems to have broader power band from idle to wide open
- always starts good

I cut Doug Fir, Lodgepole Pine, Spruce & Birch to full 24" inch cut.

They are both good saws although I have not run the 365 near as much. Have not worn out a bar yet.

If you are running a 16" bar I would go with the 361 for reliability, easy starting & broader power band. Either saw is going to pull a 16" bar through anything with ease.

Why would you run a 16" bar anyway? Do you like bending over while bucking?

Back