365 Husky or 562

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob066

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I want to buy a new firewood saw. It will be used for mostly 20 inch and under. Sometimes up to an occasional 30 inch. Im deciding on what saw a Husky 365 or 562. I tend to like the 365 but not totally decided on it. On the other side Im wanting to try an Autotune saw but not sold completly on the Autotune concept. I like the fact the 365 is mostly built on an old proven design minus the strat charging and can be moved to 372 power fairly simple.

I think a 24" is a stretch for either of the saws you mentioned, never mind a 30", I would be looking at the 576xp at. Balances great with a 20/24" and not much more weight than a 365

If you want to take a longer bar (provided you'll cough up the money to have it made into a 372 AND ported later) then the 365. Otherwise I like my 562. With a 20' bar it's dandy in Oak and Hedge and will cut a 35-40" tree not much more slowly than a 365. I would be noticeable at that point, but the 576XPAT, or 390xp would be a better choice for semi-routine 28"+ work... Firewood is where the 562 with a 18-20" bar shines.

Edit: What is your power operating style? If you want to muscle through and get home quick, buy the 365. If you want better a/v, fuel mileage and a smooth saw get a 562 and MM it and you'll be smiling all day.

I came down to the same 2 choices and as soon as I picked up the 365, I chose the 562xp. Coming from a 346xp, I liked the narrower, lighter, more compact saw and with a 20" bar, it's very aggressive in the cut. Smooooothe and angry! :cool:

Since then, I have run a ported 365 with 24" bar, and while a strong saw, I still prefer the 562xp ... there is something exceptional about the 562xp that is hard to pin down - may be the autotune that gives it the edge - feels like a hopped up V8 BMW in comparison to a stock V8 Ford - lol - no flame wars please, I have owned Fords in the past :D

So far no issues with autotune here - works GREAT !

I think a 24" is a stretch for either of the saws you mentioned, never mind a 30", I would be looking at the 576xp at. Balances great with a 20/24" and not much more weight than a 365
I want it equipped with a 20 inch thats all. 30 inch wood with a 20 inch bar is not out of the question with proper technique.

I have both. I like both. There is no right or wrong decision. After you buy one you will wonder should I have gotten the other.
I like autotune, I have had three of them. And I know sure as hell when the Husky 70cc auto tune comes out I will want one.

It is a matter of your personal priorities and preferenses - and they aren't really comparable saws.

In the woods I would surely have wanted the lighter and neater 562xp (preferably the 560xp though), but for blocking logs weight and handling doesn't matter as much.

I came down to the same 2 choices and as soon as I picked up the 365, I chose the 562xp. Coming from a 346xp, I liked the narrower, lighter, more compact saw and with a 20" bar, it's very aggressive in the cut. Smooooothe and angry! :cool:

Since then, I have run a ported 365 with 24" bar, and while a strong saw, I still prefer the 562xp ... there is something exceptional about the 562xp that is hard to pin down - may be the autotune that gives it the edge - feels like a hopped up V8 BMW in comparison to a stock V8 Ford - lol - no flame wars please, I have owned Fords in the past :D

So far no issues with autotune here - works GREAT !
Sums it up nice for me and is the same way I feel...

I misread the op sorry about that, the 562 is right at home with a 20" , I still prefer the 50cc and 70cc combo, however if I were to have only one I think a 562 might be the ticket.

I misread the op sorry about that, the 562 is right at home with a 20" , I still prefer the 50cc and 70cc combo, however if I were to have only one I think a 562 might be the ticket.

50cc/60cc works pretty well for this senior citizen ; )

I use my 346xp/16" bar for all quick and dirty work. Then haul out the 562xp/20" when I want to step it up in wood size and speed of production. If I can't fell it, buck it or noodle it with the 562xp, I won't be throwing it in my truck/trailer. If I could only have one saw, then the 562xp would be it now, but ask me again in a few years when I hit 70 and I might have a different bias.

. . . and in case my story has you now worrying the 562xp might be a bit of a geezers cop-out saw .... that's a definite nope! Plenty of guys around here less than half my age are blown away by the 562xp.
;)

- - -

Dolmar 6400 would be another thought. More power than either of the huskies off the shelf and even more power later on with a 79cc or 84cc top end. Not to mention cheaper. I have had two 365xt one husky version and the other jonsered. Both saws had the same idle issue which was idling up and down no matter where I adjusted the carb. Guys on here suggested richening up the low screw for the idle which I did and it still would idle up and down. Also ground the divider in the transfers on both to make them both the same as the 71cc versions and there was no noticeable difference on power at all IMO.

Just a thought...more power off the shelf and less money. Others may disagree about the power but I could dog the huskies down real easy with the 24'' bar...the dolly just keeps pulling the 24'' with no problem in hardwood and I purchased it new for 579.00 vs the 729.00 and 759.00 huskies.

The Solo 665 I just got it right at the heels of a 372 with 20" bars in cherry. It was a bit cheaper than a 562 or 365. The 6400 will be slightly less powerful but can be tuned into a 7900 later on.

I have a 562 xp port by the ape. I also gave a 65cc and 70cc saws stock. I always reach for the 562 . It put a smile on my face. Buy a 562 have it woods ported and never look back . It a very smooth saw.
Chris

Latest posts

Back