365 X-Torq owners?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I removed the baffles in mine. It helped but not a big difference. I think each mod is additive, that is baffles+muffler+squish reductions=a pretty big gain.

I could not hold the cover well in the vice. To hold the transfer cover while grinding I took scrap one inch plywood and a forester bit and drilled a relief hole to allow the cover to lay flat and then used the screw holes to fasten it to the wood. I then put the scrap plywood in a vice. This held the cover well so I could do a better job of grinding and polishing.

A friend and I each bought 365XT ' s in December 2012. Both are well broken in. He had me remove the transfer cover baffles on his, while I left mine stock. We were cutting last weekend, did a small amount of tune adjustment and I sharpened his chain. We were comparing notes and he stated that he really didn't see that much difference in the two saws. Neither did I. So from this admittedly small example I'd have to say that a sharp chain and proper tune would make more noticeable difference. Of course ymmv and each is plenty strong for what they have to do.

Probably rather little as long as the screen isn't clogged up. Not sure I'd want to remove it either. There are no baffles in these mufflers and I would be afraid that sawdust and other crap might make its way through the muffler to the piston.

Mine went straight to Mastermind. So I don't know what a stock 365xt cuts like. Nor do I want to know. The only stock saw I use is the 271. Probably not as big a deal as a sharp chain, but I wouldn't bet against my saw with you cutting with it and yours in the same wood. If I don't put the chain on backwards, its pretty impressive.

I wouldn't bet against your saw either. I just wanted a good working saw with some grunt to it and the 365 is that. At $100 or so less than a 372 it works for me. I'd love to try a Masterminded one but frankly for what I do most of the time the 365 is already a bit big azzed....

I removed the divider in the 365xt and a jonsered version and seen absolutely no difference in power at all. Both the saws were stock with only a mm on the jonsered.

Am I right in assuming then, that a muffler mod - say an aftermarket muffler with the side tube port - would be a good first step modification to increase power? I don't have the tools nor the confidence yet to remove the cylinder and grind the restrictors.

I like to save the original equipment. I was thinking of an aftermarket with the side tube port, then adding an additional opening on the lower front like I've seen here. Thought that would amount to some performance increase.

Like this one posted here...

38650602-D3F3-43BE-AF65-239B26AE9B74-1247-0000012C0515ABD3.jpg

I agree with Termite! Simple DIY mods do add up to some noticeable power gains. :)

Mike, I have a 2166 that I did some simple, basic mods to and you should give it run if you make it up to the GTG next week. I have a rather simple recipe for these saws, in addition to the transfer cover change. Won't get you to the top of the ladder like Randy, Terry, Brad and the guys do. But the saw rips and you can do this with basic tools in an hour and half.

1-Muffler mod for sure. Several ways to go about it; any of which work fine.

2-Replace the cylinder gasket with Threebond 1194, Yamabond 4, etc for a compression bump. Usually 20-25 psi

3-Take .050 off the intake skirt of the piston to increase the intake duration. (we call it the "mini skirt" mod)

Seems like there was more talk of these simple mods a few short years ago. But this middle ground is getting lost as the discussion heads in an "all or nothing" direction.

It's just a chainsaw. :givebeer:

Hope this helps. This is my 365XT that I sent to Mitch and he did a video on it. I couldn't be happier. Not over the top and still a lot left on the table but she handles a 28" Tech Lite like it owns in it wood big enough you have to come in both sides to clear a cut. I'm more than happy vs. stock to say the least. Put a set of double spikes on it and she rocks.

I just acquired a Husky 365 Special, I realize that this is different from the xt version being discussed in this thread. The last 365 Special I had was fitted with the 372 cylinder. If this is accomplished, other than the tall air filter, are there still differences between the 365 Special and the 372xp or is it essentially the same saw?

Any thoughts on gutting the intake boot and carb divider?

Back