372 vs 440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can only speak for the 372. Own a 372 and a 371, used lots of them. Husky's xp saws just seem to have more jam. Stihl makes good saws too, can't really go wrong with either but 372s are nice. I run 24 and 28 inch bars, a 20 will fly.

372 gets my vote. Much smoother on the hands and it just sounds better :cool: . I must say I have never had the chance to run a dolmar 7300 or 7900. The 440 in no doubt a great saw I just prefer the husky. There will probably just as many or more people who prefer the stihl.

Sirchopalot,I would also look at the dolmar 7900 There is a dealer close to you.

ohio hunter said:
Sirchopalot,I would also look at the dolmar 7900 There is a dealer close to you.

that is the problem, I have never seen a dealer for dolmar. I will probably have one eventually though as they look like a nice piece of work. Just dont want to run into a parts availability problem.

SIRCHOPALOT said:
that is the problem, I have never seen a dealer for dolmar. I will probably have one eventually though as they look like a nice piece of work. Just dont want to run into a parts availability problem.

There is a dealer real close to you in Willard.
Contact me and I will hook you up with him.

I personally prefer the 372's, I have had 044's and 046's but to me the 372's feel better and preform more like an 046. I have nothing against the 440's and 460's, ran them for the past couple of years before switching to huskys. They're good saws but I'd take a CLOSE look at a 372 while you still can. I can't comment on the Dolmar as I have not run one and am not likely to as the nearest dealer to me is 2 hours away.

I'd have to agree with you on that Ben, the 372's start out a little on the slow side till you brake'em in but after that they do really well.

Here we go again

Ryan Willock said:
I personally prefer the 372's, I have had 044's and 046's but to me the 372's feel better and preform more like an 046.........
Going through the archives, I have seen lots of similar statements, and I have little problem understanding it if the Stihs in question is older 044 or 046.
The power output of these models was upgraded to the present level of 440/460 about 1990, I think, so newer 044/046 and 440/460 should be another story........but apparently isn't. :dizzy:
What puzzles me with these statements is that according to both factory statements and independent test results (DLG), the 460 is quite a bit stronger, with the 440 in second place and the 372xp a close third. This relates to both max power output and max torque.
I have no problem with understanding the better "feel" of the Husky, but I still think that the 460 should be substancially faster than the 372xp in pure cutting speed, at least in bigger/harder wood, assuming they use similiar cutting attachments.

Why isn't it so? :confused:

Hi SawTroll,

I think what happens is someone stirs up excitement for a product and then rightly or wrongly a wave gets behind it pushing it on such forums, mind you no real time controlled testing has been effected to substantiate it. Additionally the 372 perhaps having a little lower vibrations it may emphasize that wave.

IMO, the 372 SOUNDS and FEELS like it is cutting faster than the 440, but I think they cut about the same. A friend of mine has a 440 and I have a 372 and there is little or no difference in cutting speed. I think his 440 may even have a little more torque, but my husky just feels smoother and faster. I have never ran a 460 but looking at the #'s I have a hard time believing that it wouldn't be faster than a 372.

Lobo, I have played with the same thoughts.
Without controlled testing, it is easy to want the saw you like best to cut fastest also.

Brent, I think you are right, too.

The numbers from DLG:
372xp; 3.9 kw/9500 rpm - 4.1 nm/7300 rpm
MS440; 4.0 kw/9500 rpm - 4.4 nm/7000 rpm
MS460; 4.4 kw/9500 rpm - 5.4 nm/6750 rpm

SawTroll said:
Brent, I think you are right, too.

The numbers from DLG:
372xp; 3.9 kw/9500 rpm - 4.1 nm/7300 rpm
MS440; 4.0 kw/9500 rpm - 4.4 nm/7000 rpm
MS460; 4.4 kw/9500 rpm - 5.4 nm/6750 rpm

The 460 has substantially more torque at lower rpm's than the other 2 you have posted. The hp ratings curiously are all at the exact same rpm levels which I guess proves only so much can be done with a given displacement with the current technology.

The 372 develops the least torque and it is developed at the highest rpm's.

Obviously these are all stock out of the factory saws but it still gives a good picture of their capabilities, where here the game is to modify and tinker these, however even after there is no objective controlled testing to measure, record and differentiate.

Back