372 vs 440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lobo, I spent some years working in the auto industry as well. I worked in R&D for a tier 1, 2 supplier. I dont see how that has any relevance to chainsaws though....
BTW another example of companies giving out misleading or outright false HP rating numbers would be the outboard insutry and the snowmobile industry. Both have highly irregular HP numbers.

BTW I might add that I dont think Elux or stihl would lie outright in regarsd to their HP ratings. There are many ways to skin a cat in reghards to getting bogus dyno numbers. Cold shots, doped spec fuel, abnormaly low intake air temp, taking the rating off a saw intended for the South American market etc, etc,etc.

Sir chop- I can't speak to this engine power debate, but heres some advice. The screw that holds the brake on the starter side of the saw always unwinds and falls out along with the sleeve. Seen it on all 372s, piss me off, new screw and sleave are only $10 but when it happens again... I used loctite on it. If it did'nt come with the big dogs, pay the $30 bucks and get some, the stock dogs on the 372 are way wimpier than on the 2 series saws and useless. Other than that its a good saw.

For the $150 you'll save, you can buy parts and most of a mod. ;)

clearance said:
Sir chop- I can't speak to this engine power debate, but heres some advice. The screw that holds the brake on the starter side of the saw always unwinds and falls out along with the sleeve. Seen it on all 372s, piss me off, new screw and sleave are only $10 but when it happens again... I used loctite on it. If it did'nt come with the big dogs, pay the $30 bucks and get some, the stock dogs on the 372 are way wimpier than on the 2 series saws and useless. Other than that its a good saw.

Thanks for the heads up- will definately do the loctite. (I love loctite, all colors too!) already got the big dogs too :)

Lobo said:
Ben not saying your 372 is not faster, I am saying here that in such a small displacement it is not due to piston and cylinder design, at least not alone anyways. I would tend to believe far more in carb and air flow

cylinder design is directly proportional to air flow.

bwalker said:
BTW I might add that I dont think Elux or stihl would lie outright in regarsd to their HP ratings.............

I don't think so either, neither does Lobo - see post 38 and post 37, first paragraph! ;)

Last edited:
I have been laying back on this one but can not resist any longer. The 372 xp is a better saw than the ms440 with a couple of qualifiers. First I am talking about a stock saw vs. a stock saw and you do not plan on having it modified. The 372 has more torque and more RPM than the ms440. The reason is that Husqvarna is a lot closer to it's full potential than is Stihl. When modifying both of these saws you can very easily get 15k out of the 372 with a simple piston and muffler modification with out loosing any torque. where as the 440 actually has a lot more room for improvements in both torque and RPM. You will play with a lumpy turd to try and get a 440 to keep up with a 372 in the RPM department and keep any kind of torque when the RPM range goes over 16k. It also depends on if you want the saw to fall through the wood or if you like to dog the saw in and heft on it. Most of the fallers here in Washington prefer the Stihl for the torque. On the other hand Husqvarna has a big following with the thinners and chasers. BTW I am Husqvarna cerified. I think husqvarna has a faster saw and they are a lot easier to work on. With that said I prefer Stihl because I have had better luck with them; both holding up and with modifying. I only dream how ever, of Solo getting their crap together with a little competent distribution. One other thing to think of when you go to make you purchase: the piston in the 044/ms440 is the weak point and on the husqvarna it's their plastic parts. I do however love Husqvarna tank housings.

Latest posts

Back