40:1 50:1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oils ant Oils

Ha fellow chainsawers check this link out all about synthetic oils and mixes.

chainsawperformance. com ( chainsaws )then (Oils ant Oils)

Cheers
:rock: :rock:

MS440
MS441
MS260

Last edited:
keep in mind the fuel cools your engine. the oil lubricates and burns HOTTER than fuel does. so any extra oil is just creating heat and holding back on power. not to mention that this newer generation of saws have tighter clearances within the engine so less oil is needed for lubrication.
but the key here is determining at what point you end up with "extra oil" i run synthetic at 100:1, what the bottle says. i havent had any heat issues yet.

More than 50 packets. Throw it away. You were serious? Thanks. It was free...

Yes... get some oil with a name brand. That stuff is maybe repackaged opti, and you're trying to run your saw at over 80:1. I won't even do that with Stihl Ultra synthetic.

I have a few gallons of ARNOLD two stroke oil, but I won't use it as mix just because I have it..

Last edited:
OK, while this topic is rolling and alive again, what do you all think of Echo power blend? I have to use it in my trimmer, cause its under warranty so they say. Also I have to run stihl oil in my ms290 for the same reason. The 290 dont matter warranty wise, cuze Im getting ready to butcher the muffler.

Does the Mobil1 (MX2T) have any added color yet. I tried it about 4 years ago and it was great. But being clear, I was afraid that I would forget to mix one time, and run straight gas through the saws. bob

Bobcat
I got some Mobile1 Racing 2T 4 litres in Australia and its got no colour,i rang the information number on the back of the container and the bloke said that the lots made in France lately dont have the colour in it.But i am completly converted,NO smoke,NO smell,NO fumes.I mix at 40:1 :) :) :) :) :) :)
Cheers

Yes... get some oil with a name brand. That stuff is maybe repackaged opti, and you're trying to run your saw at over 80:1. I won't even do that with Stihl Ultra synthetic.

I have a few gallons of ARNOLD two stroke oil, but I won't use it as mix just because I have it..

I here you... :bowdown:

I agree to the point. I always have used Stihl and have probably another 12 or so bottles to use up.

So, just thinking out loud, if I wanted to use it because it was free and I got so much of it, what if I were to use one of my Stihl mix bottles and funneled it in so it was 50:1 mix, that would be ok for my 2 cycles? Saws, blowers, trimmer, etc? I'm thinking I could make, let's see, 50x1.8=90 fluid ounces, and 90 fluid ounces would equate to a little over .7 gallon. I could take the .7 gallon and slowly pour it in a little mix bottle to make it 50:1 and use it up. Like I said, it was free, so unless I like yard sale it or something...

Last question, I've always used the original Stihl mix. Was thinking of starting to use the Stihl Ultra synthetic. Would that just make my 2 cycles run better, last longer, etc. Or give them a shock? I've had my little 021, blower, and trimmer for 15-17 years, change them to synthetic help? I've just got a new blower last year and my new 361 last month. Thought I'd treat them to the good stuff as soon as I could. Thanks.

Run them all on Ultra.. the sooner the better. Don't mess with the wacky mix in the pouches. I was seroius - just get rid of it in your bar oil..

Last edited:
keep in mind the fuel cools your engine. the oil lubricates and burns HOTTER than fuel does. so any extra oil is just creating heat and holding back on power. not to mention that this newer generation of saws have tighter clearances within the engine so less oil is needed for lubrication.
but the key here is determining at what point you end up with "extra oil" i run synthetic at 100:1, what the bottle says. i havent had any heat issues yet.

The heat problem comes from friction. Oil reduces friction.Heat and seizure are common when you have no or low oil. I can not imagine oil burning hotter then gasoline given the same amount of oxygen.

Oil burns hotter than fuel, and it will cause a very small increase temperature, remember oil has a higher burn rate than fuel.

I run Stihl Ultra synthetic, or Mobil1 2T mixed at 32:1 in my saws, and 50:1 in my 4mix engines.

I run 40:1, and intend to keep doing so. To me it makes more sense and give a little extra insurance for pennies...

I run 50:1 ...just what Husqvarna recommends. I have used that ratio for 35 years. To me ..more oil..equals more carbon...equals shorter engine life..

To me ..more oil..equals more carbon...equals shorter engine life..

This is not always the case. In fact I have found that 50:1 factory oil builds carbon faster than running a rich 32:1 with castor oil. If there is enough oil that some oil is being discharged as a liquid it keeps the engine surfaces washed off. Down side is it makes for a little sludge build up in the muffler.

Just like a fry pan, put just a skim of butter in the pan, enough to keep the eggs from sticking and it is easy to burn the butter and bake it to the pan, add just a little more and there is more protection against burning.

I'm not debating the best mix ratio, but carbon buildup is the result of unburned hydrocarbons...whether it comes from the gasoline or the oil.

I remember people getting paid to drive "granny's" cars to get them up to temperature and "blow out the carbon". I also remember an old guy that had a 2-stroke car (Saab?) that regularly had to have the exhaust removed and cleaned of carbon deposits...he just drove around town and never went faster than 45MPH.

Rachel Ray says 2 tablespoons of synthetic evoo, per gallon of 93 octane
and that's good enough for me!!!!!

Yeah well Giada De Laurentis says that Friction is a bad thing, 5oz per gallon for her.

Giada > Rachel

[/thread]

Latest posts

Back