40:1 in my new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on your new saw :) you’ll be fine. If you want the most life from it, consider buying a walbro WT215 and doing the simple mod to it to have it work in your saw and you’ll then have high and low adjustability!

I want to hear more about this simple mod.

Search on this site “ms 180 wt215” lots of threads on it

I'm sure the carb will work. But, I'm thinking the only adjustment on the stock saw is through the top handle, and just idle speed up or down. So, I'm thinking you are drilling a couple of holes. Now, there is another carb that will work, but the needles are further apart and the handle is in the way.

So, can you drill a couple of holes or make a slot behind the handle and get to both on The WT 215 ?
And, the idle speed ?

I'm sure the carb will work. But, I'm thinking the only adjustment on the stock saw is through the top handle, and just idle speed up or down. So, I'm thinking you are drilling a couple of holes. Now, there is another carb that will work, but the needles are further apart and the handle is in the way.

So, can you drill a couple of holes or make a slot behind the handle and get to both on The WT 215 ?
And, the idle speed ?
Yep you drill new holes

Couldn't the same argument be applies to not needing a mixture as rich as 40:1?
Modern oils provide adequate protection st leaner ratios.
Personally I just put 4.8gal instead ot 5.

Well, technically, running more oil results in a leaner fuel/air mixture and thus less oil is a richer fuel/air ratio.

Something to think about as well.... If you are using ethanol-free fuel, you will have less fuel traveling through the engine than if you were using e10 fuel all else being equal (because of having to adjust leaner for non-ethanol vs richer for e10). There could be an argument that e10 fuel will run more oil through the engine than non-ethanol with the same mixing ratio simply on consumption rate of the fuel.

This isn’t necessarily conclusive, but I haven’t found that changing ratios makes any appreciable difference to the tune.

The oil burns as part of the fuel, at a certain point there is more oil left unburnt than burnt. I think what you were seeing at 40-1 was that more oil was able to be consumed in the burn using it as fuel. Once you went to 32-1 ratio the extra oil had 0 extra fuel value taking away from the fuel ratio.

OK time to fan the fire.
In a shop where you see many saws daily oil mix ratio is not high on the list of failures.
Water in fuel is #1.
Dull chain, lack of maintenance fills out most of the rest.
When does oil mix come in? "I lent my saw to my friend, relative, etc." Dump the fuel and NO oil.
As far as the carb mod, Still have ten year old plus 170 and 180 saws with original pistons going strong.
Do what you want, but that is not the reason for failures.

OK time to fan the fire.
In a shop where you see many saws daily oil mix ratio is not high on the list of failures.
Water in fuel is #1.
Dull chain, lack of maintenance fills out most of the rest.
When does oil mix come in? "I lent my saw to my friend, relative, etc." Dump the fuel and NO oil.
As far as the carb mod, Still have ten year old plus 170 and 180 saws with original pistons going strong.
Do what you want, but that is not the reason for failures.

Had a MS462C last week that the guy had loaned to a friend that straight gassed it. I had a new old version top end that I understand will work on either crankcase. But, it was $389 plus labor. He was going to take it somewhere else. Chances are I could clean the cylinder and put a new piston in it. But, you don't know until you get it apart. Thought it prudent to let him take it wherever.

Who in their right mind loans a MS462C ?

Had a MS462C last week that the guy had loaned to a friend that straight gassed it. I had a new old version top end that I understand will work on either crankcase. But, it was $389 plus labor. He was going to take it somewhere else. Chances are I could clean the cylinder and put a new piston in it. But, you don't know until you get it apart. Thought it prudent to let him take it wherever.

Someone I know just asked to borrow my 500I, so he could mill with it! Ha!

Someone I know just asked to borrow my 500I, so he could mill with it! Ha!

My view on loaning out saws is that 99.9% of the folks competent to run a saw already have their own saw. Additionally, a person getting offended when you say "Nope, I don't loan out saws" is confirming that you made the right choice to not loan them a saw. Anyone competent to run a saw properly, and who is aware of how easy it is to burn down a saw, won't get offended by that.

In addition, to hell with entitled people.

My view on loaning out saws is that 99.9% of the folks competent to run a saw already have their own saw. Additionally, a person getting offended when you say "Nope, I don't loan out saws" is confirming that you made the right choice to not loan them a saw. Anyone competent to run a saw properly, and who is aware of how easy it is to burn down a saw, won't get offended by that.

In addition, to hell with entitled people.
Sounds about right.

I can list on one hand the people that ill Loan a saw out to. Everyone else get the "my saw comes with an operator." Speach. Funny but anyone that I'd let borrow my saw has their own saws but usually want one of the big ones. Which I'll typically go over and help anyway. I used to keep loaner saws around, but too many came back messed up and you can't pick up wild things and the like for $20.00 anymore at yard/junk sales.

$70/day to rent a saw. They burn up a saw, it's between them and Home Depot, not drama between friends.
Ex friends after, they don't take any responsibility for it getting destroyed. Sometimes it's better not to have some so-called friends. So-called friends that are all take and no give sure wear out their welcome.

Back