40:1 in my new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the meantime I have been running 50 to 1 in a LawnBoy for close to 40 years. Hasn't burnt up yet.
Maybe next year. Ya'll are so FOS.
Those older lawnboys are tough, but your not doing the machine any favors.
The lifespan of the newer duraforce are much shorter. The lawn care guys cooked them up pretty quick back in the day when using there 50:1 blower and weed whip gas in them.

That might be a difference. It was Trufuel, just happened to get a quart of 50:1, when I normally run 40:1. They might use a different oil between their mixes.
Any change in fuel or oil brand might require a tuning change. I would put money on it that you could buy two different rec fuels and mix the same oil at the same ratio, and they would tune differently

Any change in fuel or oil brand might require a tuning change. I would put money on it that you could buy two different rec fuels and mix the same oil at the same ratio, and they would tune differently

I'm sure that's the case. A can of 40:1 Trufuel vs. a can of 50:1 Trufuel, in theory they'd be the same other than the amount of oil?

Well any ways , I run 40:1 in all my stuff, and brand new equipment … echo red armor with 90 non ethanol in everything … best thing I’ve ever done pull the hedge trimmer, string trimmer and leaf blower out of shed -2 pulls everything’s running like brany new
And I got less Shmoo outta the exhaust ! 😛

I'm sure that's the case. A can of 40:1 Trufuel vs. a can of 50:1 Trufuel, in theory they'd be the same other than the amount of oil?
Check the date on the can of tru-fuel. It says five year shelf life unopened and 3 ? When opened ? I bought a brand new can at a box store and it was already 4 years old. Tru -fuel puts the production date on the can. I use it for washing parts and bought a new can.

Check the date on the can of tru-fuel. It says five year shelf life unopened and 3 ? When opened ? I bought a brand new can at a box store and it was already 4 years old. Tru -fuel puts the production date on the can. I use it for washing parts and bought a new can.
That's expensive parts cleaner!

Cans are long since gone.

I'd have dumped it in my truck and burned it as fuel.

I doubt if the dealer you had your saw from ran it on its very first run on 40-1
All the stihl & husqvarna dealers I know use 50-1 either petrol or motomix type fuel, and they are not gentle either. The first start is rev it and rev it more, check settings and its ready for the new customer. Makes me cringe but more harm will be done with a blunt chain and lack of maintenance by the new owner. Thats why a pro's saw runs better cuts faster and lasts longer, it dont get a chance to have old fuel issues and the chain is kept sharp, it never needs forcing in a cut it goes on its own.

In the shop, I see saws that have ran on 50:1 for 20 years with no issues. That is not what causes failures. Dull chain, dirt ingestion, water. Basically lack of maintenance.
I know not a popular opinion, but when you see hundreds or thousands of saws (all brands) per year you know what causes failures. This ain't it. But what do I know.

In the shop, I see saws that have ran on 50:1 for 20 years with no issues. That is not what causes failures. Dull chain, dirt ingestion, water. Basically lack of maintenance.
I know not a popular opinion, but when you see hundreds or thousands of saws (all brands) per year you know what causes failures. This ain't it. But what do I know.
One thing to consider. What your seeing in the shop in many cases is homeowner saws that aren't used very often.
Another thing to consider is with the move to strato charging saws are less lubricated than they have ever been.

I service MANY logger and firewood (retail) saws with many hours. Many pros in this area especially with a large Amish community. I stand by my statement from over 40 years of observation.
I agree , have said from the get go 40:1 or 50:1 is more than adequate within saw usage with good FC or FD oils , your observations are the norm . There is not sufficient loading on felling & bucking saws to warrant extra oil ratios . Milling that's another story , 32:1 or perhaps 24:1 with a sharp tune . Tuning & sharp chains along with proper fuel , ensure long engine life . To quote Ben , most saw operators could not tune to save their life !

I service MANY logger and firewood (retail) saws with many hours. Many pros in this area especially with a large Amish community. I stand by my statement from over 40 years of observation.
Loggers and retail firewood guys don't get 20 years out of a saw. 2 years maybe if they are real lucky tops.

I agree , have said from the get go 40:1 or 50:1 is more than adequate within saw usage with good FC or FD oils , your observations are the norm . There is not sufficient loading on felling & bucking saws to warrant extra oil ratios . Milling that's another story , 32:1 or perhaps 24:1 with a sharp tune . Tuning & sharp chains along with proper fuel , ensure long engine life . To quote Ben , most saw operators could not tune to save their life !
Tuning brings up a whole other point. Tuned pig rich like most guys are leads to more oil running through the motor.
Of course with Mtronic and Autotune and along with strato charging, modern saws are much less lubricated. And that's why we see bearing failures with modern saws when years ago we did not.

Back