40-1 mix in a 372 Xp and a 441?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, why?

I want my 2 strokes to smoke. Lots when cold and just a little when warm.

Ahhhhh. Lubrication. Ahhhhh.
To make your day try Ipone Samurai Fraise (strawberry)scented or Castol or other brands of Castor bean oil "Arhhh" the scent A bit of smoke is good for when the "Mossie's are out & about

I was going to start another question about fuel mix at some point but as it's being discussed here and wouldn't derail the thread what are peoples thoughts on 2 stroke mixes in older / vintage saws?

I always used to run 40:1 in everything but after coming across references to 32:1 here and doing some extra reading I've now switched to that as I figured the bit of extra oil certainly isn't going to bankrupt me and may just put a few more years on the saws.

Then along came the old Dolmar 152 that says 25:1 on the fuel tank so that's exactly what it gets. That means two lots of fuel to mix etc. I've been wondering (and that's all its been) for a while if that old Dolmar (and a few other old 2 stroke engines) would be ok with the same 32:1 mix. I'm not dull enough to believe that everything modern is better than old but just maybe 2 stroke oils now are better than what was available in the 70s when a 25:1 mix was required? and maybe I could save that little bit of hassle having to have 2 cans with 2 different mixes any thoughts?

Modern synthetic oil is a lot better than the generic non synthetic '70s two stroke oil that Dolmar would have expected people to use, if not straight 30 weight.

If you're using good synthetic 32:1 should be fine. I ran my vintage two stroke dirt bikes on modern synthetic oil and modern ratios with no problem.

Hello this is my first post:) I was wondering if 40-1 mix would be bad for my 372xp and 441, I use husqvarna xp mix, i don't run them professionally I just cut a lot of 24" plus dead oak, I try to make sure they are properly tuned.

Good luck on figuring out which mix ratio to run. Once you figure that out then you need to figure out which oil.... :dizzy:

I was going to start another question about fuel mix at some point but as it's being discussed here and wouldn't derail the thread what are peoples thoughts on 2 stroke mixes in older / vintage saws?

I always used to run 40:1 in everything but after coming across references to 32:1 here and doing some extra reading I've now switched to that as I figured the bit of extra oil certainly isn't going to bankrupt me and may just put a few more years on the saws.

Then along came the old Dolmar 152 that says 25:1 on the fuel tank so that's exactly what it gets. That means two lots of fuel to mix etc. I've been wondering (and that's all its been) for a while if that old Dolmar (and a few other old 2 stroke engines) would be ok with the same 32:1 mix. I'm not dull enough to believe that everything modern is better than old but just maybe 2 stroke oils now are better than what was available in the 70s when a 25:1 mix was required? and maybe I could save that little bit of hassle having to have 2 cans with 2 different mixes any thoughts?

Your Dolmar & any other vintage /historic saw will be fine with the use of modern synth oil mix at 32/1 Back in the day it was use XX/1 mix if you use their (saw brand)oil & a much oilier mix if you use any body elses oil Using an FC/FD Jaso rated oil at 32/1 will keep your kit performing no problem the modern mix oil bears no resemblance to oil from back in the 70's Using an oil with a colour dye is advantagoius over fuel coloured oil as it gives a indication that the mix does in fact contain oil without alot of "Hassle"

Your Dolmar & any other vintage /historic saw will be fine with the use of modern synth oil mix at 32/1 Back in the day it was use XX/1 mix if you use their (saw brand)oil & a much oilier mix if you use any body elses oil Using an FC/FD Jaso rated oil at 32/1 will keep your kit performing no problem the modern mix oil bears no resemblance to oil from back in the 70's Using an oil with a colour dye is advantagoius over fuel coloured oil as it gives a indication that the mix does in fact contain oil without alot of "Hassle"

Thanks Al nice to know for sure. That'll save having an extra can of 25:1 mixed up :yes:

Latest posts

Back