$400 to spend

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went with the Stihl 310

I made my decision. Went with the Stihl 310. 359.99 with an 18" bar (Included an extra chain). Looking forward to using it this weekend.

Bradley

you beat me to the punch I was going to recommend the 310 it has the same weight as the 290 but more power and is still under the 400 bucks. I think it makes the most sense out of the 290/310/390 family as far as weight vs power vs price. Although I was also going to recommend the 359 and all the benefits have been mentioned for only 40 bucks more although I don't know if that includes shipping. The bottom line is I think you made asound choice and I'm glad to see you chose the 18" bar.

Lucky

You could purchase a few homelites and have a saw for every occasion for the rest of your life, if that matters.

I mean, you could completely clear to the bone 2 acres with no sweat and go looking for more.

If you can handle a 13 pound power-head, old Pioneers, Remingtons, and Homelites will give you a nice 16 - 20 inch cutter in the 60cc range. 50 dollars. I know someone that would probably sell you a Castor C-70 in great shape for 100. Thats a 70CC italian saw that generates 6hp.

I had a XL924 rebuilt for about 200, new piston, rings, cylinder, carb rebuild, no points... etc. I may remove the spark arrestor and retune it for a 28" blade. I firmly believe that having more than one saw is critical to longevity. Good luck what-ever you decide. :)

Latest posts

Back