40cc chainsaw favorite for $300-$350?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
echo 490(this would also apply to the CS500P) 2.8hp

With a simple muff modd and tuned right they run like a 3.8 to 3.9 hp saw plus have a wide power band. Plus they are light Steve
the fact remains that a 42cc saw will beat it in stock form which is what 95% of saws are.

just adding a little to the whole muffler mod idea. I own a cs-400, 4300, 5105, 6100, 7910, 6800, 111, 115, and a JD 66SV plus soon to add a 5600 to my fleet of personal saws. the only one of those that isnt completely stock is the 4300 and it is just a simple cat delete. I also think your being pretty optimistic on a simple muffler mod getting them to 3.9hp. 3.2 maybe but not 3.9.

Blue Max 45cc saw is $120 at Rural King. Decent little clone saw. I had one. Would definitely buy one again.
Chain needs to be upgraded, but other then that, I liked it.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Blue Max 45cc saw is $120 at Rural King. Decent little clone saw. I had one. Would definitely buy one again.
Chain needs to be upgraded, but other then that, I liked it.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
and something to keep in mind buying any of the clone or offbrand saws is that you better be able to repair them yourself because most shops wont touch them. I can't name a shop around me that will work on the bluemax, remington, homelite, ryobi saws....some of the shops wont even work on poulan/poulan pro

the fact remains that a 42cc saw will beat it in stock form which is what 95% of saws are.

just adding a little to the whole muffler mod idea. I own a cs-400, 4300, 5105, 6100, 7910, 6800, 111, 115, and a JD 66SV plus soon to add a 5600 to my fleet of personal saws. the only one of those that isnt completely stock is the 4300 and it is just a simple cat delete. I also think your being pretty optimistic on a simple muffler mod getting them to 3.9hp. 3.2 maybe but not 3.9.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the 5600.

(I also think your being pretty optimistic on a simple muffler mod getting them to 3.9hp. 3.2 maybe but not 3.9.}

There are vids on you tube with a CS500 running a little better than a MS261, plus the one I have runs real good after break in , tuned good and a muff modd. So I figure about 3.8hp according to Stihl HP. Dolmars are too heavy for their cc. Steve

(I also think your being pretty optimistic on a simple muffler mod getting them to 3.9hp. 3.2 maybe but not 3.9.}

There are vids on you tube with a CS500 running a little better than a MS261, plus the one I have runs real good after break in , tuned good and a muff modd. So I figure about 3.8hp according to Stihl HP. Dolmars are too heavy for their cc. Steve
Steve, are you just talking the small Dolmars being heavy or the whole line up?

My 490 with mm and tune is a good runner to. But every time iv mentioned it in other threads you've been there to tell me a cs400 with mm and tune will run just as hard. Now you say the 490/500 will run with the 261 I'm confused.

Both the 40cc and 50cc Dolmar are heavy, certainly not the 7900 or 6100. James when I first got my CS500 it would barely out a good CS400 but after break in and a little more muff mud it cuts good now. Its one of those saws that break in helps quite a bit, when I first got my 385xp Husky it was a dog, not any more. Steve

@mountainlake
5105 is a pound heavier than the lightest 50cc challenger and within 3-4oz of the closest but is also the box stock strongest 50cc saw so how much does a pound really matter when its cutting close to the performance of a class above for some competitors?

32,35, 3601, 5600, 7310, 7900 are all within a few ounces of their direct competition and in the case of the 3601 and 5600 there is no comparison on the build quality. 4300 is heavy for the class but what class are we talking about because there are no other pro build 40cc saws available for $300.....comparing it to clambshell plastic saws in the same cc range its heavy but not unwieldy, matter of fact is so smooth that the little bit of extra weight isnt noticed. But I'm not telling you anything you dont already know since you have ran the dolly lineup extensively and compared them head to head with echo and realized echo needs muffler mods and in some cases woods porting to keep up with stock dolmars.

BTW citing the 6100 as certainly not heavy compared to the competition just shows your lack of knowledge on dolmar because its next to the heaviest 60cc class saw out there, only beaten by the echo 590/600/620 and a 6400 dolly which punches in close to a class above and wasnt built to be a 60cc class saw

@mountainlake
5105 is a pound heavier than the lightest 50cc challenger and within 3-4oz of the closest but is also the box stock strongest 50cc saw so how much does a pound really matter when its cutting close to the performance of a class above for some competitors?

32,35, 3601, 5600, 7310, 7900 are all within a few ounces of their direct competition and in the case of the 3601 and 5600 there is no comparison on the build quality. 4300 is heavy for the class but what class are we talking about because there are no other pro build 40cc saws available for $300.....comparing it to clambshell plastic saws in the same cc range its heavy but not unwieldy, matter of fact is so smooth that the little bit of extra weight isnt noticed. But I'm not telling you anything you dont already know since you have ran the dolly lineup extensively and compared them head to head with echo and realized echo needs muffler mods and in some cases woods porting to keep up with stock dolmars.

BTW citing the 6100 as certainly not heavy compared to the competition just shows your lack of knowledge on dolmar because its next to the heaviest 60cc class saw out there, only beaten by the echo 590/600/620 and a 6400 dolly which punches in close to a class above and wasnt built to be a 60cc class saw

My lack of knowledge (bs) came from when the 6100 first came out and everyone was bragging how light it was so I assumed it was light. They must have been comparing it to the Dolmar 6400 which is a heavy pig for 64cc. Does a pound really matter in a 50cc saw???? YES Steve

There was an 024 for sale here a few weeks ago for 175. That would give you a ton of money to buy bars and chains and oil and fuel.

There is heavy and then there is how heavy it feels, as applies to the 6100. Not the lightest for sure, but actually feels lighter in the hands.
In actual use it didn't feel much different to me from when I had my 361, but's just me. YMMV.

There is heavy and then there is how heavy it feels, as applies to the 6100. Not the lightest for sure, but actually feels lighter in the hands.
In actual use it didn't feel much different to me from when I had my 361, but's just me. YMMV.
try a 620 sometime, much heavier than a 6100 yet very comfortable to use, for me it is one of, if not the most comfortable 60cc saw I have ever handled...in stock form it is anemic compared to a 6100/2260/562 so be prepared to muffler mod right off the bat if those are what your familiar with.

Back