440, 441, or 460? which one if I can only have one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waumpuscat

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am shopping for a new saw(or used) because I do not have anything stronger than an older 032 AV. If I am most interested in power to weight, durability, and ability to get parts, which of these saws would you more experienced folks rather have? I have a feeling that I am going to break down and get one in the next several weeks. Thanks, I am learning a lot on this forum.

I am shopping for a new saw(or used) because I do not have anything stronger than an older 032 AV. If I am most interested in power to weight, durability, and ability to get parts...

Power to weight? Dolmar PS-7900. ::thumbsup::

As for getting parts, as long as you can use a computer you can get parts.

The Husky camp should be along anytime now...

Whatever you found in a good used of the three would be good. I have the least experience with the 441. But I don't like the feel or balance it is not for me, but does have a strong following. The 440, and 460 are outstanding, and I have run plenty of both for years. The 440 In my opinion is the lightest, and most nimble of what you mentioned. The 460 is slightly heavier than the 440, but has more cc's, and torque. Don't shy away from a good used 044 either. Also you may be just a Stihl man not sure, but there are other great brands too. Keep an eye on the classifieds here. Norm......

Can't speak to the power to weight thing but I'd go 460 lots of used parts and new parts as well I think there is an oiler upgrade avaible for it and these saws were tough as tanks seems like. Some of the smaller tree services around here seem to use them as thier big saws day in day out and have no complaints. Never had any out of mine and should have kept it but wanted another saw more so it got traded. Just my opnion.

I am fond of the stihl saws after having 2 huskies and 3 stihls, but certainly respect and understand that it is an individual preference. I ask about parts because of the trouble that I seem to have finding parts for the 032. Maybe I have not learned to search properly but after the coil problems and trying to resolve that on the 032 I am hoping that the new saw will have readily available parts and that sure seems to be the case on most of the stihl line of saws that I am interested in. As for buying new, I have gone to dealerships here in middle tennessee and most are not budging off of retail so I am searching the used market as well, but would love to find a good price on the new ones. What would most believe to be a realistic best price on these saws? Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.

I'ts more saw yes, a world or night and day difference no I would not say much more. Slightly heavier slightly more power. What will be your new saws main job any way?

Good one Stumpy! O.P by the way I own a sweet 044, and won't sell it not even for a new 460, but me personally if I were to buy new my choice Stihl wise in the 70cc plus class would be the 460. Would not even think twice.

If it's your big saw I would probably get the 460. If not then it's a toss up between the others. The 440 is lighter and the 441 has better av, fuel consumption, and filtration.

Thanks guys, my main use for the saw will be firewood and clearing. I have 122 acres that is all hardwood and the biggest saw that I have of the 5 that I own(20 year collection)is the 032. So this next saw will be the largest of the fleet and probably will not see as much action as the smaller saws but after running saws for a number of years I have definitely learned to appreciate a bigger saw for these 20 inch and larger logs that I seem to be confronting more and more often. Hickory, oak, ash and maple are common.

I had the pleasure of owning both a newer MS460 and a new MS441RCM at the same time - both with 25" bars. I ran both saws and I liked them both - plenty of power and I didn't have a problem with either one of them. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either model!

With that being said, I recently sold my MS460 and kept the 441. I liked the fact that the 441 had the Mtronics which automatically kept the saw in perfect tune and it had much better fuel economy than the 460. I imagine that eventually all chainsaws will have some sort of electronic tuning and if it was available on a smaller pro saw I would buy it tomorrow.

So I would rank them:
1. 441 (Mtronic)
2. 460
3. 440

Best of luck - as I said earlier, you really can't go wrong with either of them

-Greg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back