440, 441, or 460? which one if I can only have one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there's the Stihl MS241C-M available over seas but with the shipping it gets pricey, like $800-$900...awesome little saw they say. i want one.

I'd like one too... but not at "I need to have my head examined" type prices. :dizzy:

I think I'll just wait it out some for some enthusiasts to tire of theirs when the time comes...

First off... Don't hate me for what i'm about to say b/c I do love stilhs as you can see from my sig.

I know several guys have thrown out the 7900... To the OP... I got a makita 6401 2 years(ish) ago now and you would be seriously surprised at the power you'd get going from a 51cc (032) to a 64cc (6401) espically since the 6401 doesn't really have any breathing problems and doesn't need muffler mods and such. Plus Dolmar/Makita's are highly overlooked since everyone knows the "Stihl" brand name. I've heard guys picking up 6401's from Home Depot off rental for $250 or less. Average retail for a 6401 on ebay is $400ish. I wouldn't be surprised if you could get at 79-84 cc dolmar/makita saw together for less than $400 though.

And... If you don't like the power it makes... slap a 79cc kit on top for $135 (or a BB 84cc kit for $100 from Bailey's)... I honestly came by my 6401 for under $100 of CL... Keep your eyes open and don't limit yourself to one brand or one saw... You'll be surprised what you can find on CL or in a local pawn shop... I should have bought a super clean 066 with 32in at a pawn shop last week for $400. I didn't jump on it and now i'm sorry for not doing so. If you decide on a 441 m-tronic you'll be looking for that one saw and might over look several other great deals in the process. I also missed a jonsered 2095 (94cc) for $250! Keep your eyes open!

I say a MS460 ported by Terry Landrum. Then you will be amazed with what a Stihl saw will do.:rock:

I'm not hating on a Stihl... Keep your eyes open and you may find a better deal on a 066/660 than a 460... Just sayin...

Both Stilhs and Dolmars rock my face off! :rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

i have a 460 and a 440 ,i seem to grab the 460 most of the time i like the extra tourque over the chainspeed of the 440, the oiler on the 460 is better if you run longer bars

Last edited:
I'm not hating on a Stihl... Keep your eyes open and you may find a better deal on a 066/660 than a 460... Just sayin...

Both Stilhs and Dolmars rock my face off! :rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:
I hear what ya saying and am in agreement. This thread has sure helped me know what to be looking for. The dealerships that I have visited have been real tight on discounts so far. I look at CL everyday and will keep my eyes wide open for a buy on something that will fit.

I hear what ya saying and am in agreement. This thread has sure helped me know what to be looking for. The dealerships that I have visited have been real tight on discounts so far. I look at CL everyday and will keep my eyes wide open for a buy on something that will fit.

Not sure if they are great deals, or not, but there is a new 440 for 850 and a new 460 for 875 locally. Might not be worth it since these are powerhead only, still in the box, saws.

I bought the Mtronic saw in September. I bought the R model with the wrap, high output oiler, heavy AV springs, rubber flap and roller catcher and I remember it being around $900. I don't remember how much the 460 was but the saws were pretty close in price.

Adam, I went back and forth for quite some time deciding between the 460 and the 441 Mtronic for that reason. You probably didn't get any response because they are not failing (at least nobody is posting about it!). I have a two year warranty on my 441RCM and Stihl is known to do a ton of field testing before a new product is released. I'll never forgot back in 2001 I bought a brand new MS260 pro (first chainsaw I ever owned). After a year and a half it would die in the cut - I started bringing it to the dealer and over several visits the carb, coil and filters were replaced free of charge by Stihl because my saw was in such great condition. After 3 unsucessfull repair attempts, Stihl gave me a 100% credit towards a new saw. Back then the saws only had a 1 year warranty and this was at least 6 months over. Now THAT is customer service and I will never purchase another brand of chainsaw ever again. Stihl stands behind their products for sure and will stand behind my saw IF there was an issue.

-Greg

Greg, the specs that you mention above on the 441 RCM, heavy av springs, high output oiler, rubber flap and roller catcher. Are these specifications that are a special order or are they common to the 441 RCM?

The R model gives you the HO oiler, wrap, dual large spikes, large clutch cover, and roller catcher.

Thanks very much, that is just what I wanted to know. This may be a stupid question to more experienced users, but why would you want it without those options?(wrap handle excluded)

Thanks very much, that is just what I wanted to know. This may be a stupid question to more experienced users, but why would you want it without those options?(wrap handle excluded)

I don't know!! It was a no brainer to spend the extra few dollars to get all the extra features the R model came factory equiped with.

So just to clarify there are actually three models of the 441 to consider:
The 441, the 441CM (mtronic) and the 441 RCM (Wrap, mtronic). If you opted to get the RCM be prepared to wait a few weeks because it's most likely a special order (or at least in the NorthEast)

-Greg

Would be great if your dealer let you test ride all three..
I would narrow the choice down between the 441 C-MR and 460..
Buying brand new, my choice would be the 441 C-MR, I like the new technology..
Buying used, 460, solid, reliable and a strong performer..
Shop hard.. (tough to find a used 441 C-MR)

Last edited:
I don't know!! It was a no brainer to spend the extra few dollars to get all the extra features the R model came factory equiped with.

The 441, the 441CM (mtronic) and the 441 RCM (Wrap, mtronic). If you opted to get the RCM be prepared to wait a few weeks because it's most likely a special order (or at least in the NorthEast)

-Greg

Toss in the 'A' (Arctic) and you have the complete package..

Last edited:

-Greg

The distributor here has 4 RCM's in stock, I'm not sure if there is a different one for your direction or not.

Back