440, 441, or 460? which one if I can only have one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MY vote goes to the 460.
Go big or go home:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

He Said it all, I have the 441 and the 460. The 460 weighs the same as the 441, 14.6 lbs, but has more power. 70.7 to the 76.5, but both are great saws. In fact all are great saws.
:heart::heart::heart::heart:

He Said it all, I have the 441 and the 460. The 460 weighs the same as the 441, 14.6 lbs, but has more power. 70.7 to the 76.5, but both are great saws. In fact all are great saws.
:heart::heart::heart::heart:

Do you have the 441 or the 441 Mtronic?

-Greg

they are all excellent saws but i sure like those 460's,if you get a 440 or 441 they are great but you will be wondering what you missed out on,get the factory dual port muff and retune with a 20'' b&c it makes one awesome firewood saw,i mostly cut bigger stuff for my owb and it has spoiled me:msp_thumbup:

Last edited:
Greg, I appreciate your post and did you think the 441 with the mtronic is as powerful as the 460?

I don't use my larger saw as often as many of the other members on AS - many of them true professionals or saw enthusiasts that use their saws daily. Although I use my smaller saws regularly around the house, the bigger ones are only used a few times a year to clear building lots for residential construction.

According to the website the 441 Mtronic makes 5.6 hp and the 460 makes 6hp. I honestly did not notice much of a difference - both of the saws cut through any tree that I needed to be cut with ease. If I used the saws daily or more often like many of the other members do, maybe it would be more obvious to me - but I don't - and the 441 and 460 were such an upgrade from the 360pro I had been using previously I was happy with either one.

The deciding factor for me was the "auto tune" of the Mtronic. The 460 was like the chevy 454 big block and the 441 Mtonic is like the 6.0 vortec. I don't mind tuning my saws, but the 441 does it for me. I don't use it often, but when I need it - it's ready to go whether its 20 degrees out or 100 degrees out and I don't have to touch a thing.

-Greg

441 M-Tronic. And yes I've run all the saws you're questioning plus the M-Tronic.

It is a very close tie to the 460 in cutting speed and power but...

Better anti-vibe
Better fuel mileage
No way to mess up the tune
Better balanced (to me anyway)

And it has also toppled the "mighty" Husky 372XP in my highly unscientific test of saws by putting them in a production environment putting wood on the ground.

With that being said, I recently sold my MS460 and kept the 441. I liked the fact that the 441 had the Mtronics which automatically kept the saw in perfect tune and it had much better fuel economy than the 460. I imagine that eventually all chainsaws will have some sort of electronic tuning and if it was available on a smaller pro saw I would buy it tomorrow.

One of my concerns when considering between the 441 and 460 was the m-tronics module-how expensive would it be to replace and what the potential failure rate would be (as an auto mech. I know the failure rate is almost impossible to guess, but you know what I'm getting at). At the time I posed the question, no one answered it, then talking to my dealer he seemed to lean towards the 460 to begin with, so we never really got to involved with conversations of the 441 anyways. Still rather curious about this

they are all excellent saws but i sure like those 460's,if you get a 440 or 441 they are great but you will be wondering what you missed out on :
One of the Big reasons I went with the 460. If I dislike I could always sell in a year or so and get 441 or 461. Most likely would not be able to get a 460 in a year or 6mo even from what the talks are.
I also am not blessed with a good enough job to buy both and sell one (though that would've been awesome)

Thanks Greg, how long have you had the mtronic and how do they compare in price?

I bought the Mtronic saw in September. I bought the R model with the wrap, high output oiler, heavy AV springs, rubber flap and roller catcher and I remember it being around $900. I don't remember how much the 460 was but the saws were pretty close in price.

One of my concerns when considering between the 441 and 460 was the m-tronics module-how expensive would it be to replace and what the potential failure rate would be (as an auto mech. I know the failure rate is almost impossible to guess, but you know what I'm getting at). At the time I posed the question, no one answered it, then talking to my dealer he seemed to lean towards the 460 to begin with, so we never really got to involved with conversations of the 441 anyways. Still rather curious about this

Adam, I went back and forth for quite some time deciding between the 460 and the 441 Mtronic for that reason. You probably didn't get any response because they are not failing (at least nobody is posting about it!). I have a two year warranty on my 441RCM and Stihl is known to do a ton of field testing before a new product is released. I'll never forgot back in 2001 I bought a brand new MS260 pro (first chainsaw I ever owned). After a year and a half it would die in the cut - I started bringing it to the dealer and over several visits the carb, coil and filters were replaced free of charge by Stihl because my saw was in such great condition. After 3 unsucessfull repair attempts, Stihl gave me a 100% credit towards a new saw. Back then the saws only had a 1 year warranty and this was at least 6 months over. Now THAT is customer service and I will never purchase another brand of chainsaw ever again. Stihl stands behind their products for sure and will stand behind my saw IF there was an issue.

-Greg

441 M-Tronic. And yes I've run all the saws you're questioning plus the M-Tronic.

It is a very close tie to the 460 in cutting speed and power but...

Better anti-vibe
Better fuel mileage
No way to mess up the tune
Better balanced (to me anyway)

And it has also toppled the "mighty" Husky 372XP in my highly unscientific test of saws by putting them in a production environment putting wood on the ground.

Maybe stumpy will change his mind after he gets your 441 Mtronic??? :D

I can't comment much on longevity yet, but my M-Tronic has been going strong since October, and has upwards of 50 tanks through it now. It's a firewood saw, for a commercial firewood operation.

Maybe stumpy will change his mind after he gets your 441 Mtronic??? :D

I'm defiantly hoping he will! That system has made me a believer in smaller can beat bigger. It's got to be pretty good to convince me to have 2 of the exact same saw...

I bought the Mtronic saw in September. I bought the R model with the wrap, high output oiler, heavy AV springs, rubber flap and roller catcher and I remember it being around $900. I don't remember how much the 460 was but the saws were pretty close in price.

My 460r was right around 1029 otd I think w/ 25" b&c.

Adam, I went back and forth for quite some time deciding between the 460 and the 441 Mtronic for that reason. You probably didn't get any response because they are not failing (at least nobody is posting about it!). I have a two year warranty on my 441RCM and Stihl is known to do a ton of field testing before a new product is released. I'll never forgot back in 2001 I bought a brand new MS260 pro (first chainsaw I ever owned). After a year and a half it would die in the cut - I started bringing it to the dealer and over several visits the carb, coil and filters were replaced free of charge by Stihl because my saw was in such great condition. After 3 unsucessfull repair attempts, Stihl gave me a 100% credit towards a new saw. Back then the saws only had a 1 year warranty and this was at least 6 months over. Now THAT is customer service and I will never purchase another brand of chainsaw ever again. Stihl stands behind their products for sure and will stand behind my saw IF there was an issue.

-Greg

That's pretty damn good!
You'll always have guys on both sides of the fence-- but at least for me, just feeding the owb not making a living on the saw, either one probably would've done just fine. Like i said, I just wanted the extra grunt to run the 36 for the slab. and even that wasn't a necessity- but i feel it will make it damn nice when I'm cutting 10-12 jig-fulls a day in the summer.

just get the 460 then you can run a 32 with no problem:rock:
BINGO! That's what will seperate it from the other two. O.P like Mike MDAVLEE said if it will be your big saw get the 460. I agree if you ever have to rip, or quarter rounds, or run a 32, like Climber96 mentioned, you wont have trouble. As far as the 441 surpassing the tried, and true 372 Nope not yet. Look up flagship saw, besides it has had a much longer run, and the 441 is to new to be labeled bulletproof yet.

Man you guys are providing plenty of information that is really making a great argument for either saw. This will be a tough decision but the great thing about it is for my use I do not think I can go wrong with either saw

This vid will show the differance to some degree stock 441 (old model) V ported 441 MTronic V stock 460 all with same bar and chain.

[video=youtube;epG-kuAGRyI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epG-kuAGRyI[/video]

Latest posts

Back