441 stihl opinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t-stumpin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a 441 stihl. I have a 044 and a 385 husky. They both are ripping saws. I like to do some investigation work before any puchasing.

Read the Prince of Saws thread for all of the information that you will ever want to know about the 441.

I like mine better than my 44 that I went ahead and sold the two 044's that I had.:rock:

Just Mow said:
Read the Prince of Saws thread for all of the information that you will ever want to know about the 441. ...
Yes, that was my thoughts also, just a bit over 4000 posts to read....:D :laugh: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

Just Mow said:
Read the Prince of Saws thread for all of the information that you will ever want to know about the 441. ...
Yes, that was my thoughts also, just a bit oner 4000 posts to read....:D :laugh: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

....but actually, if you go trough the first few hundred ones, most availiable info and opinions on the 441 is there.

Having not ran one, I think that it is great that the 441 is the first real Stihl to comply with emissions standards, and stihl have such great reviews!

There are some that may say there too heavy for the power, but what those people are not telling you is there getting weaker in there chosen profession, and should soak there toast in there milk a little longer, no?

There is a chance that I will be ready for 461 class saw, if there is one in the works and by the time it comes out.

ShoerFast said:
There is a chance that I will be ready for 461 class saw, if there is one in the works and by the time it comes out.
Lets hope so, if the 461 is based on the 441, power to weight ratio probably won't be too bad.....:bowdown: :bowdown:

... but I think we will have to wait a couple of years for it. :censored:

The most important thing to know is that it's about 8 pounds heavier than a 440, and probably not a reliable saw.

Right, Dan?

:D

Ignore me, t-stumpin! That's an inside joke from the Prince thread.

:cheers:

BlueRidgeMark said:
The most important thing to know is that it's about 8 pounds heavier than a 440, ....
:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

..."only" about 8/9 of a pound heavier, and slightly heavier than the 460, but also much better anti-vibe and air filter system (both copied from Husky of course).

Well contrary to most that make statements reguarding the MS441 I actually have one and have put 4 or 5 tanks of fuel through it. I traded a mint 044 for this 441, the 044 was and is a great saw, I had recently purchased a MS361 and was hooked on the new anti-vibe system and the increased cutting speed. The MS441 has a much better anti-vibe system in my opinion from the 044 and appears to have a faster cutting speed. I don't time my cuts, as I have a real life! I am just a firewood cutter that enjoys using good chainsaws. The MS441 is a great saw in my opinion.

saxman said:
Well contrary to most that make statements reguarding the MS441 I actually have one and have put 4 or 5 tanks of fuel through it. I traded a mint 044 for this 441, the 044 was and is a great saw, I had recently purchased a MS361 and was hooked on the new anti-vibe system and the increased cutting speed. The MS441 has a much better anti-vibe system in my opinion from the 044 and appears to have a faster cutting speed. I don't time my cuts, as I have a real life! I am just a firewood cutter that enjoys using good chainsaws. The MS441 is a great saw in my opinion.

That's good to hear!

Whth just a few tanks of gas, it will only cut faster as the rings seat.

saxman said:
I will second your opinion. I got mine when it first came out and it has outcut the two o44's that I had.:rock:

Uh-oh, this thread is headed in the WRONG direction. Should have called it "Da Prince 2 - the 441 revisited" :pumpkin2:

From the original "Da prince" tread;

belgian said:
Ok Folks,

time for an update on the 441 from people who have actually used it for some time now. Sawtroll can confirm the below info as he's also a frequent visitor of the german forum I got the info from :

compared to the 440 :

+ a little more power
+ less fuel consumption
++ better vibration damping
- a little more expensive
- a little heavier

compared to other saws

- notably less power than 7900 dolmar/Stihl 460
- same output as 575 xp
- lesser torque as 7900 or 7300
+ lesser vibrations than all other comparable saws
+ better finish, feel and looks (subjective of course)

since it is a new type of saw, not many have experience over a considerable amount of time. Most users are very happy with it and believe it's a winner, but are a little disappointed in its power output, compared to the other Stihl 361 which is commonly accepted as best in its class.

Before anyone starts shooting at me, please note that above info is a resume of other people's experience, and it may not surprise you that on this side of the pond, people also differ in opinion.

the bar is now open for discussion ... .

What Roland wrote above fits very well with the impression that I have from the two German saw forums that I attend....

As for the bar.....:givebeer: :popcorn: :cheers: :angry2: :sword: :cheers: :ices_rofl: :buttkick:

Just Mow said:
I will second your opinion. I got mine when it first came out and it has outcut the two o44's that I had.:rock:

I get the same reports from the 441's I sold.. Everyone that bought one (all tree service companies) also have 440/044.

Lakeside53 said:
I get the same reports from the 441's I sold.. Everyone that bought one (all tree service companies) also have 440/044.
So, Stihl users are giving positive feedback. Imagine that. :hmm3grin2orange:

spacemule said:
So, Stihl users are giving positive feedback. Imagine that. :hmm3grin2orange:

If there were any Husky users around here (except Rbtree, who uses pretty much one of everything thing!) , I'd listen :cheers:

Latest posts

Back