441 stihl opinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lakeside53 said:
Stihl copied the 575 blind, but found a couple of hidden lead weights to get rid of so they could make more money!

They do own controlling stock in the freight interests and found that increasing weights put more money into thier pockets in a way that was much easier to write off...

I tell ya' any way you look at it those guys are pure Genius there at Stihl...:yoyo:

Chaser

wagonwheeler said:
They do own controlling stock in the freight interests and found that increasing weights put more money into thier pockets in a way that was much easier to write off...

I tell ya' any way you look at it those guys are pure Genius there at Stihl...:yoyo:

Chaser

Genius, maybe, pure genius, no or they would all have the option of either heated handles or headlights, and kept the same windings on all of them!

Heard something interesting today... The EU has just adopted emission standards very similar to the EPA for 2007... but with ONE big difference. They are NOT allowing credits like in the USA. Every 4-mix engine (or 441) gives Stihl USA a credit (ditto for the Husky 575 etc) to use against the non-compliant engines, but NOT in the EU. EU sales have to EACH meet the required level of emissions for the class of engine. There is a phase-in period of a couple of years... but...

There is going to be a LOT to argue about in the coming two years! No wonder Husky bought Redmax!

To see what the manufacturers are up against... The HC grams/kilowatt hour for a MS 440 is 120, and for the MS 441 it is 67. The EPA limit this year is 94, and it will drop to 72 in Jan.

Last edited:
Lakeside53 said:
Heard something interesting today... The EU has just adopted emission standards very similar to the EPA for 2007... but with ONE big difference. They are NOT allowing credits like in the USA. Every 4-mix engine (or 441) gives Stihl USA a credit (ditto for the Husky 575 etc) to use against the non-compliant engines, but NOT in the EU. EU sales have to EACH meet the required level of emissions for the class of engine. There is a phase-in period of a couple of years... but...

There is going to be a LOT to argue about in the coming two years! No wonder Husky bought Redmax!

To see what the manufacturers are up against... The HC grams/kilowatt hour for a MS 440 is 120, and for the MS 441 it is 67. The EPA limit this year is 94, and it will drop to 72 in Jan.

Start thinking CAT's once the limit meets the actual output! (we seen this before)

Lakeside53 said:
Oh it gets worse before then... we're only months away from computer controlled carbs...
I'd skip the carbs and go straight to fuel injection. They're having much success in model airplane engines with such setups, and costs are not as prohibitive as one might think.

spacemule said:
I'd skip the carbs and go straight to fuel injection. They're having much success in model airplane engines with such setups, and costs are not as prohibitive as one might think.

We'll heck Space, you need to hang up your apron, quit your day job, and get over to Stihl, Husky, Redmax, Echo, or... , and show them the way!:D

spacemule said:
My point precisely. :yoyo:

Well Space your point tends to say you must have a saw to mention. Do you have a saw you would like to discuss?, all ears here!!!

spacemule said:

That is until some LOGGING YUTZ runs the saw and doesn't clean it, wreaking havoc on the computer managing the EFI!!!

After changing out the crank bearings and crankseals on an 020T I will shy away from EFI!!!

spacemule said:
Because Stihl's Golden Boys are infinitely easier to provoke. :jester:

The 575 was no improvement over the 372, because Husky already had superior anti vibe and air filtration. Stihl merely updated to common modern design features, and hence the Stihl boys don't notice the decrease in power to weight. Ha ha.

Seems the Home Depot boys like provoking the Stihl boys huh, ok. Does Home Depot make you paint your lips red with the apron they "make" you wear, Ha ha...

These threads suck!

The problem with these threads is that many times the people offering oppinions are too blinded by brand loyalty, pride or inexpierance that their oppinions are worthless.
A guy I talked to that piece cuts claims the 441 cant hold a candle to his 440. I dunno if he is full of **** or not, but I will say that when going romt he 372 to the 575 Husky had nowhere to go, but down. Conversley Stihl going fromt he 440 to the 441 had nowhere to go, but up.
BTW Its pretty childish to make excuses for a particular saw by bringing up the short comings of another brands model. Both Husky and Stihl make POS saws.

THALL10326 said:
Space that get up weighs 28 ounces from what I just read, entirely too heavy for those that find weight a issue,lololol
Ha ha, good one. Ya gotta remember that that's the weight of the entire engine though. :hmm3grin2orange:

Back