460 Big Bore Stage II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klickitatsacket

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Winlock, Wa. under the shadow of Mt. St. Helens
Here is a picture of a tree and one of my saws that took it down. The logger is one of my customers down in California.
WHS1.png

must be one strong 460!

how big is the big bore kit? :greenchainsaw:

so what's the estimated displacement increase?
and the estimated % increase in HP over stock?

thanks,

klickitatsacket said:
This is one of the big bore kits from Bailey's with one of our stage II port jobs. I really like the big bore kits and for $100 they are a great value. We recently just did a 660 for the same customer.

Curious... you guys ever lay hands on a Dolmar 5100S?

I'm not sure what power gains you can get out of it, even with your Stage I service. It's a pretty hot saw off the shelf. Again, just curious...

so displacement is kicked up slightly larger than 064 + porting. no wonder it performs in 066 class.

this config makes me apreciate my stock 064 even more :D

"064 - 84.9cc, 6.5hp, 15.2lb

066M - 91.6cc, 7.8hp, 16.4lb

(Those were 1993 specs.)

The MS 660M now rates 7hp with the "strangler" muffler and limited carb. Still a fantastic saw if you mitigate those issues."

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=11439

klickitatsacket said:
displacement is kicked up to around 87 or 88 cc's. We guarantee a minimum of 25% in HP gains with out a loss of reliability or durability. You do however loose fuel efficiency.

Dean,

Do you do the stage 2 type mods to an 064? How does it work? With the same bottom end as an 066, reliability should be OK. Thanks,

klickitatsacket said:
We recently just did a 660 for the same customer.

If he's cutting wood like this all day long.....I'm sure he'll be changing over to the 066......Especially if he's cutting for scale.

Nice wood.....Hahahahahahaha!....That's what she said!

The customer said that in wood this size the 066 was mandatory. The 460 bb was ok but like you said; when you are cutting scale weight is behind power. He likes his 460 bb on the landing and in smaller stuff. Wood like this is why he had the 066 built. He is in camp right now but I did here word back that he loves his 066.

Correct me if I'm wrong... (like you all wouldn't!!).

A stock 460 is 6hp. A stock 660 (with all the EPA crap on it) is 7.1/7.2 or whatever...

What does the 460 big bore give you in terms of a 660? How much better does it feel/perform than a stock 460? Surely it's got to be close to a stock 660 or it just isn't worth the hassle...

Last edited:
klickitatsacket said:
a good mod on the 460 bb will give you about the same as a 066 with a muffler mod with the weight of an ms660. At the end of the day that is quite a bit if you are working steep canyons.

So Dean, Can you tell me what exactly you do tho the mods to make a saw gain about 3 pounds? :laugh:

We know what you meant, just had to pick on you. lol

-Steve

klickitatsacket said:
a good mod on the 460 bb will give you about the same as a 066 with a muffler mod with the weight of an ms660. At the end of the day that is quite a bit if you are working steep canyons.

More questions:

So, my 066 is supposedly 7.7hp (factory dual port muffler etc). You're saying your 460 BB stage 2 will get you that. Does it give that over the same torque range as the 066? Apart from the added weight of the 066, will they perform the same in all wood/bars?

What about longevity...? That's a lot of extra umph to put on the bottom end... never mind the Chinese cylinder/piston/pin/rings...

Latest posts

Back