460 vs 372

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have ran the dog crap out of one of my 372s and
only a coil in around five years hard use!

That was months ago Rope, let the poor dead coil die.:biggrinbounce2: He threw his last spark, let him rejoice among his brothers.

I'm tired fellers, ya'll keep 'em straight.:dizzy:

I know what you mean. Mine will cut like crazy, but the power band is a bit narrow. May need a bit of modding to get it where I want. Haven't touched the muffler yet and there is still the porting option.

My problem is that I stepped down from an 066, not up from my Super XL. You can't beat cubic inches.

Mark

372 all the way, a better saw in my opinion. The air filtration and long range of power is better than that of the 460. Both good saws, but I like the 372 better. I have a 460 and wish I had the other!

I'd be more than happy to buy your 460 to help ya pay for the 372.

I've got a 372 and am pleased w/ it even though its my only saw....lookin for a back up saw or hell i might even just buy another 372:greenchainsaw:

the 372 I used cut good but had only power on top end no low grunt

You need to finesse the 372 in the cut........If you have the lean on the saw attitude the Huskys not for you......My 372 is a slug when you lean on it....If you get it pinched never pull on it......It might come out in two pieces.....:) :)

both great saws.

i guess it depends on what you have for dealers.i have two 372s and i love them.they have plenty of grunt with the 7 pin sprocket.a little less with an 8 pin.why lean on a saw when it just rips if you let it?

the only things i can say are obviously better on the husky are the air filtration and the fuel and bar oil caps.i also think the anti vibe is better on the 372.not enough to worry about though.if i had to choose between the two it would be a tough call but i'd have to lean towards the Husky because that is what i'm used to.i have one with a 20" B&C with an 8 pin sprocket and the other has a 24" with a 7 pin.

the Dolmar is a ripper too.if you have good dealer support i'd recommend it.takes a little getting used to but it doesn't take long.for ripping i like the Dolmar.it clears the "curlys" better than the Stihl or Husky like no ones business.

Since you already have a Lakerized 361, you might as well go as big as you can, maybe even into the 80cc range like the 385/390xp to make it worth your while - depending of course on the size and type of wood you are cutting.

A 361 with a muffler mod and a 372 would probably just be too close on power to warrant that kind of expenditure.

The 7900 is a good option as well, but I keep hearing it is heavier than advertised...

The husky 372 is a great saw!! BUT, if you want more grunt torque for larger wood? Stihl 460 takes over...:greenchainsaw:

7900,7900,7900:) Yes I am biased just like most.
Now why?
460 don't feel like getting gouged by the local Stihl dealer.
372 personally don't like the high top cover.
2171 looks nice no high top cover but less power than a 7900 and not a pure breed Jred I was looking for.
Dealer close by? don't need one, I have a bunch saws so can wait for parts should the need arise.

Last edited:
Although a 7900 is bad arse, they are sometimes hard to find......

460 vs. 372 hmmmmm.....

Both are fine saws, but I have never ran a 372 or 375. I have ran the **** out of a 046 and 460 and will say they are awesome, even better when ported. If you will be running a 25"+ bar, I would lean towards the 460. 20" could go either way....****, just get the 460.:chainsaw:

Are you feeling all right 2000?

460, not a "fair" comparison. 372 is a fine saw but outgunned by the 460. If the price does not matter get the 460 and do not look back.

I have the opposite feeling. Last Friday we made some speed cutting with the following saws: 242, MS260, 346, 55, 357, 2156, 262, 2171, MS460, 2186, 2095 and 3120 .. I will post pics later.

It was the first time a ran the MS460. Found it to be a good performer but very peaky character and high revs. The 2171 has a much broader power band IMO.

460 makes a better saw for longer bars and bigger trees but I find it gets heavy if your carrying it around all day. I think the 440 was a better saw. I like the 372xp a lot! air filtration good size, power to weight and nothing beats that Husqvarna whine. If your cutting bigger tees a lot than the 460 would be the one to get. If you want a good well rounded saw than get the 372xp.

I have the opposite feeling. Last Friday we made some speed cutting with the following saws: 242, MS260, 346, 55, 357, 2156, 262, 2171, MS460, 2186, 2095 and 3120 .. I will post pics later.

It was the first time a ran the MS460. Found it to be a good performer but very peaky character and high revs. The 2171 has a much broader power band IMO.
Interesting findings! I too don't think Stihl makes more torque than a husky/Jred thus they don't have a broader power range.
Unless we are talking old saws like Mac's and Pioneers and Home lights that's torque!How can I compare it? It's like a 427 68 Chevy up against a Volvo lol.
But in modern saw's I have found not much separates them. A few seconds is all the Stihls give up to the competition.:popcorn: I had to say that!
It is sad that the big muscle American saw has gone the way of the muscle car!
Yep replaced by lighter better handling saws.But just like the cars today they sound like airplanes with a sinus infection!

Like being said, not a fair comparison.
We use a healthy 460 at work.
My 11 year old 371XP with a Bailey's BB372 kit and muffler mod is on par with this saw only smoother and lighter.
If you don't need the power of the 460, but would like the smoothness of the 372, the answer is obvious.

Al.

Back