461 or 660 for 32 inches?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolCat44

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm hesitating between a used MS 660 (2010 - 650$) and a new MS 461 to push a 32 inches bar. White Pine and oversized maple are on the menu? What would be your pick???

Thanks for your input

Phil

You have two good saw builders there giving you their advise. I'd seriously consider it. I know my 460 replaced my 066. Much lighter and noticeably less vibes. The 461 is better yet.

You have two good saw builders there giving you their advise. I'd seriously consider it. I know my 460 replaced my 066. Much lighter and noticeably less vibes. The 461 is better yet.

mdavlee builds a damn strong saw too.

Thanks a bunch you guys, your advice means a lot to me. I will go along your advice. It will be an MS 461... brand new!

Looking forward to reading you!

Phil

mdavlee builds a damn strong saw too.

I think he was counting Michael. That leaves you or Brad out???????:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

OP, a 460 can certainly handle a 32" bar, and unless I was going to be running a 32" all the time, and the trees were consistantly taking all of the bar to get through them, I would go with the lighter saw.

I'm hesitating between a used MS 660 (2010 - 650$) and a new MS 461 to push a 32 inches bar. White Pine and oversized maple are on the menu? What would be your pick???

Thanks for your input

Phil

for soft wood and a 32 you should be fine with the 461. Anyone know how the 461's oil with longer bars? I'm just curious to know. The 066/660's usually need a little help on the oiling front when modding...

I think he was counting Michael. That leaves you or Brad out???????:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

OP, a 460 can certainly handle a 32" bar, and unless I was going to be running a 32" all the time, and the trees were consistantly taking all of the bar to get through them, I would go with the lighter saw.

I see.

Get well soon Bradley. :msp_wink:

As a side note.....

I'd go with the "R" model every time. The extras are well worth the additional cost.

for soft wood and a 32 you should be fine with the 461. Anyone know how the 461's oil with longer bars? I'm just curious to know. The 066/660's usually need a little help on the oiling front when modding...

they share the same oiler 461 and 660 if get the wrap model of either saw will have the hi volume oiler for longer bars

and get both saws :jester:

I think you'll love it. Here's a 461 with a 28" B&C buried in hardwood.

[video=youtube;FFtVPAm-Ytc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFtVPAm-Ytc&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

hmmm, I see saftey chaps, ear protection, gloves, and mustach to protect the upper lip... And yet no eye protection??? tisk tisk Brad!

View attachment 313069

Last edited:
Better call the PPE Nazis and have me arrested:msp_biggrin:

I'm pretty sure I have a couple videos hanging out there that have me in shorts, sandels, no eye, ear, or gloves running a 90cc saw... but then again i'm not posting those links for others to see... :tongue2:

Latest posts

Back