462, 500i or 661? Going stihl shopping this week!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have gone back and forth on getting either the 462, 500i or 661 for about 6 months + ( this isn’t a rushed off the cuff purchase). The reason it’s so tricky is because I don’t have any need for another saw, yes I blame this forum!!.

That said, I have worked my butt off and want to enjoy something that I’m proud of. I never really treat myself to anything new and having sold my guns before I left the Uk, all my wood turning tools and lathe when I left the Uk, my motorbike and my car, I feel I can justify treating myself now.

I want a saw to enjoy - nothing other than the shear pleasure of using it, cut cookies for fun, firewood in the future and enjoy seeing on the shelf every time I walk into my office. I’m in Australia so our wood is tough as old boots and already have a 180, 260 pro and will be rebuilding an 07 once I finish the current project 034. Please help me by sharing your thoughts below. Weight isn’t an issue which means I seriously considered the 661, but the 462 seems like is has superior air filtration with its twist lock connection as well as filter pre separation, but less power. The 500i Initially really interested me until I realised it’s not noticeably better or more powerful than a 462 in real world use, is heavier and bigger and has older air filtration design, no pre separation (correct me if I’m wrong) and softer AV, which I hate.

Anyway, I’d love to hear your thoughts and advice to take on board.

I love my 661!! I have had the 661 for over a year, and I picked up a new 462 right before the virus crashed our area, and I still find myself looking at and using the 661 more often.
Sexy saw, and it really does everything exceptionally well. It is heavier than the 462 by probably 5 lbs, and for what I normally cut the 462 is not much slower, if any. I still prefer my 661 to the 462. no tangible reason, in fact in theory the 462 would win out for me in every aspect, but I still reach for my 661 more often than not- I just do.

I agree that i am impressed with the 661, once broken in it's an absolute beast and has good A/V. The 462 is nice and light and powerful but i like the looks of the 661 more, and the 661 felt a little smoother but probably since it has heavier components. I've been running a 572xp too and it nice and solid , feels about halfway in-between the 462 and 661 in terms of torque and weight. The 462 would be preferred if i were cutting cookies and limbing too.

It’s quite resounding on the 661! Yep I won’t be lugging this other than out the car a meter or two to cut up some cookies! Even then I quite like the feel of a heavy saw so long as it’s balanced. The 07 I have is 10kg’s but balanced well and it always brings a smile to my face just holding the darn thing! I can’t wait to get it fixed up and running :)

I just wish it had a better air filter design and pre seperatipb, but you can’t have everything right?

Easy now. Your pocket book may be burning a whole in your brain.

If you want a cookie cutter spend your money on a modded saw that really screams.

If you want a saw to really use in the woods daily, the 462 is LIGHT and modern. It’s a very practical tool.

The 661 looks cool, but it isn’t at the top of it’s class as far as performance. Put the 3/4 wrap and big dogs on there and then set it on the shelf. 661 has a lot of displacement so it feels great to cut with...until you run a well tuned predecessor. Then it just feels held back, because it is.

500i isn’t really in the running yet. It needs a couple years of production before it’s a dialed machine.

Bear in mind that all the saws you’re considering will cost a ton in parts and maintenance, should they need it. None of them are easy to tinker on in your garage.

I can’t stress enough that an older ported saw will have a LOT more rip. And for what these saws cost in Australia you could easily have a shiny 660 or 395 ported and shipped to your door.

It’s quite resounding on the 661! Yep I won’t be lugging this other than out the car a meter or two to cut up some cookies! Even then I quite like the feel of a heavy saw so long as it’s balanced. The 07 I have is 10kg’s but balanced well and it always brings a smile to my face just holding the darn thing! I can’t wait to get it fixed up and running :)

I just wish it had a better air filter design and pre seperatipb, but you can’t have everything right?
I'm an old fart and I'm going with the 462 Tom. Your back will thank you when your my age. Maybe @Stihl working hard can chime in. He has the 462 and 661and cuts the same wood as you. He's in Perth too.

If you want a big badass saw, get the 661, open up the muffler and go to town. If you're worried about air filtration, get a Maxflow. Unlike some older versions, the Maxflow for the 661 looks great in addition to being a big improvement in filtering.

I'm an old fart and I'm going with the 462 Tom. Your back will thank you when your my age. Maybe @Stihl working hard can chime in. He has the 462 and 661and cuts the same wood as you. He's in Perth too.

Ah sweet! I look forward to hearing from him! I’m 28 so I don’t mind some weight to a saw now, but sure when I’m older I know I’ll appreciate a lighter saw. Is he a logger / arborist, firewood collector or just owns them for enjoyment?

Ah sweet! I look forward to hearing from him! I’m 28 so I don’t mind some weight to a saw now, but sure when I’m older I know I’ll appreciate a lighter saw. Is he a logger / arborist, firewood collector or just owns them for enjoyment?
He's a firewood collector and loves to run them. I think he used to do clearing for the gov't.

90cc is good if you have serious bucking to do in our hardwoods whether you run a 16'b/c to 32". I'd get the 462 or even a 572 husky. Or if you really want a 7910 Makita. Not sure why you value pre-seperation air filter ports so much..I block them up on my saws, have you used saws with this feature in dead dry Aussie wood & been impressed? The marketing literature pamflet don't always translate into real world truths, sometimes it does but not always.

90cc is good if you have serious bucking to do in our hardwoods whether you run a 16'b/c to 32". I'd get the 462 or even a 572 husky. Or if you really want a 7910 Makita. Not sure why you value pre-seperation air filter ports so much..I block them up on my saws, have you used saws with this feature in dead dry Aussie wood & been impressed? The marketing literature pamflet don't always translate into real world truths, sometimes it does but not always.
Hey, thanks for your advice :) It's more that I like what appears to be a more secure seal between the air filter and the housing on the 462 over the 661 from videos I have seen. I havent used a saw with pre separation, no. You are spot on about the marketing not living up to the hype, kinda like what I have seen with the 500i. I have no serious bucking to do other than for fun cookie cutting. This is a toy for fun for me so It's purely for enjoyment and i have come to the conclusion that if I buy the 661 for 1900 aussi dollars and sell it down the track and lose 500 dollars on it, I would have found the enjoyment of owning and using one worth losing the 500 Australian dollars for!

I ha
Hey, thanks for your advice :) It's more that I like what appears to be a more secure seal between the air filter and the housing on the 462 over the 661 from videos I have seen. I havent used a saw with pre separation, no. You are spot on about the marketing not living up to the hype, kinda like what I have seen with the 500i. I have no serious bucking to do other than for fun cookie cutting. This is a toy for fun for me so It's purely for enjoyment and i have come to the conclusion that if I buy the 661 for 1900 aussi dollars and sell it down the track and lose 500 dollars on it, I would have found the enjoyment of owning and using one worth losing the 500 Australian dollars for!
I haven't had issues with the HD2 filter on my 661, but I will vouch for the 462 being slightly more secure from the factory.
Both saws benefit from a small dab of petroleum jelly on the base gasket- where it meets the plastic carb mount- otherwise some small fines will get inside the filter base in really dusty wood (on both saws). the jelly stops that as far as I can tell, but my wood is not as dusty as what you'll likely be cutting.

That said, the difference on filters is more perceived than real, the filter is tightened from the floating nut on the outside of the housing on the 661, and is easier to get to, to clean quickly in the field.
The 462 has the same clip holding it, but it is built into the filter itself and you have to take the top cover off with a screwdriver to get to it.

That said, the difference on filters is more perceived than real, the filter is tightened from the floating nut on the outside of the housing on the 661, and is easier to get to, to clean quickly in the field.
The 462 has the same clip holding it, but it is built into the filter itself and you have to take the top cover off with a screwdriver to get to it.

That’s a very valid point that I didn’t even think of, so use to my 260 which you just flip the lever to get to the AF. Do you have both the 661 and 462 or are you a husky guy?

Back