462, 500i or 661? Going stihl shopping this week!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s a very valid point that I didn’t even think of, so use to my 260 which you just flip the lever to get to the AF. Do you have both the 661 and 462 or are you a husky guy?
I have both 462 and 661 but I'm a chainsaw guy:) I run whatever works best in my hands for the job at hand, and that varies between brands depending on task. Right now my go to saw is the 661, for practically everything.
I have a couple older Stihl ms-460's, a new ms-462, a couple husky 372's, a strong husky 394, Stihl ms 026, 290, 390, 250, a husky 460 rancher, a few clones of older Stihl and husky's (440 & 380 Stihl, 372xp husky) a new a makita/dolmar 7910 and a number of random top handle saws.

661 gets my vote. Not because it is the fastest cutting, that would be 394- but it's an anchor & I hate running it.
Not the best balanced- the 462 is awesome in that regard. 372 is balanced nice as well.
But, it starts easy Everytime, cuts strong in every wood, and shrugs off every bad situation & mistake I've thrown at it. And it puts a big ol' grin on my face every time I pull it out, which is why I pick it up most out of all my saws:)

New saws just don’t do it for me, but at 28 yrs old they sure did.

I would get an 084 and spend the same money as a new saw on getting it to run reliably and bastard strong (doing any necessary work yourself because you know how to)...I’ve had a few saws and imho the 084 is the most pleasurable to use.

And the noise mine makes...

I have both 462 and 661 but I'm a chainsaw guy:) I run whatever works best in my hands for the job at hand, and that varies between brands depending on task. Right now my go to saw is the 661, for practically everything.
I have a couple older Stihl ms-460's, a new ms-462, a couple husky 372's, a strong husky 394, Stihl ms 026, 290, 390, 250, a husky 460 rancher, a few clones of older Stihl and husky's (440 & 380 Stihl, 372xp husky) a new a makita/dolmar 7910 and a number of random top handle saws.

661 gets my vote. Not because it is the fastest cutting, that would be 394- but it's an anchor & I hate running it.
Not the best balanced- the 462 is awesome in that regard. 372 is balanced nice as well.
But, it starts easy Everytime, cuts strong in every wood, and shrugs off every bad situation & mistake I've thrown at it. And it puts a big ol' grin on my face every time I pull it out, which is why I pick it up most out of all my saws:)

Bloody hell! Hahaha that’s quite the collection! Wow :) yes I want a smile put on my face I’m not getting the saw for any other reason! I have a 20 inch diameter piece of solid dry Jarrah that I can’t wait to cut up and make into a coffee table. I’ll upload the process when this covid isolation thing is over. I’m not looking forward to planing the Jarrah or sanding, but it will look wonderful when it’s done.

New saws just don’t do it for me, but at 28 yrs old they sure did.

I would get an 084 and spend the same money as a new saw on getting it to run reliably and bastard strong (doing any necessary work yourself because you know how to)...I’ve had a few saws and imho the 084 is the most pleasurable to use.

And the noise mine makes...
Hehe there is an 084 for sale on Facebook market, but I have been warned about the cost of the parts and I really want a new saw, I do have an Stihl 07 that I got to start with fuel down the throat and that sound is to die for, however it has an air leak and I have an 034 I’m currently rebuilding (hence why I’m actually going to the stihl shop - to get
The parts) and then I’ll do the 07.

I get it :) the older saws have such charm and sound delightful. I’d like to think for a 28 year old I have my head screwed on, but I admit this stupid chainsaw bug has bitten me and honestly if I wasn’t part of this forum and didn’t have a good saw friend who I chat to almost daily, I probably wouldn’t be so obsessed.
I only started rebuilding and having an interest in saws in August last year and I told my dealer I want a small saw (180) and I don’t want to have to do anything to the darn thing - so far I have rebuilt 3 Chainsaws from the ground up and half way through number 4 and had a total of 7 saws at one point, but they were cheap, they cost me between 10-30 USD or were free.

....Please help

I’d go with the 661. I love my 660. I do allot of big firewood so it’s perfect for that. If I’m felling I grab the old dependable ms290/390 cuz it’s light and makes good power. Carrying a 660 around in the woods is fun for the first couple hours lol
Excellent stuff :) I rebuilt an 039 it was spotless, but I sold it to put the money
towards the new saw I’m looking to get. It was fun to use a 65cc saw though - it’s the biggest I have used so far, it pulled a 20” 3/8th’s chain with authority

I think he needs to catch up and do some firewood cutting together, extra pair of willing hands is always good.
W Aussie GTG :)

Wait till he gets his new saw- might as well use the bloody thing for what it was designed for.
You get yourself a nice sunhat, deck chair, esky, bag of ice and a slab of tinnies- set up somewhere near the log pile and each time he stops to fuel up, point out what he needs to correct during emptying the next tank.

Wait till he gets his new saw- might as well use the bloody thing for what it was designed for.
You get yourself a nice sunhat, deck chair, esky, bag of ice and a slab of tinnies- set up somewhere near the log pile and each time he stops to fuel up, point out what he needs to correct during emptying the next tank.
If they made the GTG after the lockdown we could buy a few plane tickets, a slab or two of real (NZ) beer, turn up and offer our sage advice from the cheap seats. When the 661 develops one of 20 mystery problems or the 500i can't keep up, we can chime in with "how ugly do you think my 395 is now Tom" or "shoulda bought a mac but you want this torque? You can't handle the torque!"

One of us needs to turn up with a tweaked 79xx just for ***** and giggles.

Or I'll try to convince an aussie mate with a mint 2100 to turn up and school Tom a little...

That simply means you're operating on a plain way above us. Trust me mate, only worry if you actually start understanding us bc that would mean we've dragged ya down to our level.

Great, now I need a new keyboard.
so much for relaxing with a home made iced coffee.

Just helped an old farming mate get his promac 650 running again, the screen in the carb under the needle assy was falling apart, and it needed a new needle, didnt have spare diaphragms handy, but he now has a list, but its running sweet again, he looked very happy when it just sat there happily idling, looks like it was a while since it ran so well :)
His late father bought it many years ago, and its been handed down to him, he is in his 70s now, I think the saw will outlive him :)

T
Hey Tom, dont worry mate, were just having some friendly banter, were actually all insanely jealous we dont have spare cash to drop on a saw :)

Great, now I need a new keyboard.
so much for relaxing with a home made iced coffee.

Just helped an old farming mate get his promac 650 running again, the screen in the carb under the needle assy was falling apart, and it needed a new needle, didnt have spare diaphragms handy, but he now has a list, but its running sweet again, he looked very happy when it just sat there happily idling, looks like it was a while since it ran so well :)
His late father bought it many years ago, and its been handed down to him, he is in his 70s now, I think the saw will outlive him :)

T
Hey Tom, dont worry mate, were just having some friendly banter, were actually all insanely jealous we dont have spare cash to drop on a saw :)

Speak for yourself! :laugh: I could go buy all 3 tomorrow if the local Stil store was open- but there is a big difference between could and want to.
I do not really have a need for any of them, but the newer generation 661's are certainly a lot more dependable than the first in the current series.
I did try to haggle for a 2100CD yesterday- does that count?

Speak for yourself! :laugh: I could go buy all 3 tomorrow if the local Stil store was open- but there is a big difference between could and want to.
I do not really have a need for any of them, but the newer generation 661's are certainly a lot more dependable than the first in the current series.
I did try to haggle for a 2100CD yesterday- does that count?

Thats a nomination for a "You Suck" award, or humble brag, not sure which.

:)

Hey Tom, you really dropped the ball when you were in the UK last, should have gotten a 400 whilst you were there :)

runs and ducks for cover.
I didn’t even know there was such a saw, just googled it! That’s pretty cool! This forum will cause the end of my relationship and probably the roof over my head hahaa

May I remind those reading, I was dead set happy with my ms 180 in august last year, before I joined that was when I was thinking logically and from a practical standpoint!

7 saws and 3 1/2 total engine rebuilds later I am considering a 661... what the bloody hell is going on! Haha

I didn’t even know there was such a saw, just googled it! That’s pretty cool! This forum will cause the end of my relationship and probably the roof over my head hahaa

May I remind those reading, I was dead set happy with my ms 180 in august last year, before I joined that was when I was thinking logically and from a practical standpoint!

7 saws and 3 1/2 total engine rebuilds later I am considering a 661... what the bloody hell is going on! Haha
Those are rookie numbers, you need to pump those numbers up.

:)

Latest posts

Back