462 vs 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zane.b

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My biggest saw I use is a ms361 and I run a 20" bar on it. I have some bigger stuff to cut and i am looking to dedicate a 25- 28" bar on a bigger saw. For the minimal cost difference is it worth stepping up to a 661 or will the 462 do everything fine up to a 28"?

The 462 is a great saw but it is not in the class with a 661. You will be happy with a 661, if you can stand the extra weight. I see you are a young guy, so that should not be a factor. 260, 362 and a 661 you will have it all covered

The 462 is a great saw but it is not in the class with a 661. You will be happy with a 661, if you can stand the extra weight. I see you are a young guy, so that should not be a factor. 260, 362 and a 661 you will have it all covered
That makes sense. Are the electronic controlled saws pretty sorted out by now?

The 462 pulls a 28" better than it should, and it's about the same size and weight of a 362. The 661 is a true large saw, I wouldn't use it with anything less than a 32" bar, anything less gran a smaller saw.

Here is a 462 running next to a 500i, the 462 did amazing considering it's displacement disadvantage. BTW the 500i is only slightly heavier than the 462.

When not using my 261 my 462 is my next go to saw. I use to run a 20” bar on it and it was scary fast, the 25” bar seems perfect. I have also run a 28” on it and that did work well too. The 462 has the true weight advantage IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All sound advice. I started thinking 661 after seeing some good deals on some used 660s. I hadn't gotten to one of them fast enough and have never owned a new saw besides my Makita so getting ready to get something

I have both... the 462 is a great saw & functions very very well!!
I find myself using the 661 much more often with a 24" simply because the added weight is not enough to slow a days production.
The 661 pulls full comp 36" with authority when needed:)
The 462 is lighter, more nimble, better for long days/ average firewood duty.
only downside to the 462 is slightly less raw power, and the smile factor in my case.
Smile factor wears out for most things you work with regularly, and I'm the only person I know who's picked up my 661 and not immediately proclaimed how heavy it is.
I suspect if I wasn't addicted to wood cutting & also a "burrly young guy" the 661 would wear it's smile factor down fast vs. the 462.
I have used a 32" with my 462, and it pulls it fine with a sharp chain - better than I expected by a long shot actually- but not as well or carefree as the 661 does with the same bar, chain, wood.

I’d you can wait a bit, IMO the 500i complicates the picture. More power than the 462, but close in weight. I don’t own a 661, but have some run time on 660s. Great saws, with much more torque. But man my 500, and 462 are light. Out here I run a 28” light with a skip on the 462, and absolutely no complaints. It does everything I can reasonably ask of it. The 500 with a 32” is competent, but I can still bog it when the 660 would have kept spinning. I’d imagine 661 would be the same.

Based on what you’ve said here, I’d look at a 462cm or 500i. And I super prefer the R models.

I have both... the 462 is a great saw & functions very very well!!
I find myself using the 661 much more often with a 24" simply because the added weight is not enough to slow a days production.
The 661 pulls full comp 36" with authority when needed:)
The 462 is lighter, more nimble, better for long days/ average firewood duty.
only downside to the 462 is slightly less raw power, and the smile factor in my case.
Smile factor wears out for most things you work with regularly, and I'm the only person I know who's picked up my 661 and not immediately proclaimed how heavy it is.
I suspect if I wasn't addicted to wood cutting & also a "burrly young guy" the 661 would wear it's smile factor down fast vs. the 462.
I have used a 32" with my 462, and it pulls it fine with a sharp chain - better than I expected by a long shot actually- but not as well or carefree as the 661 does with the same bar, chain, wood.
And it looks like you're 25, you likely don't fee the pain yet, and the harder you go now the harder it hits down the road.[emoji111]

And it looks like you're 25, you likely don't fee the pain yet, and the harder you go now the harder it hits down the road.[emoji111]

I agree 100%. I’m 63 and last week I bucked a 40” dia oak with my 36” 660 and noodled with my 462 with a 25” bar. I was wiped out after 4 hours or so. You can’t fight that 660, just let it do it’s thing. I really love the 462, much easier on a broke down old man. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 261, 462, and 661 (good 3 saw plan IMO). My 661 is only used for milling and falling/bucking 30"+ trees. The 462 is my go to saw now, and it wears a 20 or 25" bar (I don't own a 28). The 661 is just too dang heavy to use for very long, unless I have to...and I'm under 40. I've never had an issue with my 661, and it is an early model. I did update it to the new filter, module, and solenoid in the last year, however. It is a beast in big wood, and does put a smile on your face.

I stopped at a dealer on my lunch break, they had 2 461's which were a little cheaper and I like the fact of being able to adjust the carburetor but not sure on the power /weight ratio

I stopped at a dealer on my lunch break, they had 2 461's which were a little cheaper and I like the fact of being able to adjust the carburetor but not sure on the power /weight ratio

461 wearing a 20” bar has been my go to for the last 5 years. Stop worrying about power to weight ratio and go run one, it absolutely rips. You’ll be happy.

I was never a fan of m-tronic either, but was intrigued enough by fuel injection to buy an MS500i.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back