462 vs 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of folks aint going to like this, but why buy a smaller saw, spend big bucks having it ported so it will run almost as good as the larger saw? There is no way to beat big CCs and stock parts can be installed by anyone. I know of no loggers around here that use ported saws.

There is something to be said for that. Buy once cry once

I personally know no professionals who use ported saws for work, and only a handful in person who own a ported machine. None of whom run their ported saw daily, or ever have.
I toyed with having my 462 ported for a bit, but I won't after running a few ported saws.
I appreciate the extra oomph, but it's certainly not needed in my case.

I personally know no professionals who use ported saws for work, and only a handful in person who own a ported machine. None of whom run their ported saw daily, or ever have.
I toyed with having my 462 ported for a bit, but I won't after running a few ported saws.
I appreciate the extra oomph, but it's certainly not needed in my case.

Out of the 8 or 9 saws we use only 2 are ported. You're right. Probably 90% of chainsaws used in service work or logging are bone stock.

Filled, a 361 is nearly 2lbs lighter than a 462. I did the weigh in muhself, just for Ryan ;).

The 462 has quickly become my 1 saw plan. I used to hate autotune, but I quickly woke up. Always starts, idles, no screwdriver needed.... Also on strato saws, less time stopping to fill the tank. 462 shares the same oiler as the 500i, so in a pinch, it can be used to slowly pull a bar that’s bigger than it was intended for.

I am a Stihlhead, but my current setup is (all ported) a 261CM, 462, 395 for anything large and a 3120 for milling. Pretty much covers everything well.

Used to be a 60cc lover, but the 462 has quickly made the 60cc category a “tweener” saw for me.

Back to the OP, a 462 vs a 661 is apples to oranges. The answer of which to get is both.

Filled, a 361 is nearly 2lbs lighter than a 462. I did the weigh in muhself, just for Ryan ;).

The 462 has quickly become my 1 saw plan. I used to hate autotune, but I quickly woke up. Always starts, idles, no screwdriver needed.... Also on strato saws, less time stopping to fill the tank. 462 shares the same oiler as the 500i, so in a pinch, it can be used to slowly pull a bar that’s bigger than it was intended for.

I am a Stihlhead, but my current setup is (all ported) a 261CM, 462, 395 for anything large and a 3120 for milling. Pretty much covers everything well.

Used to be a 60cc lover, but the 462 has quickly made the 60cc category a “tweener” saw for me.

Back to the OP, a 462 vs a 661 is apples to oranges. The answer of which to get is both.

As long as it's not 3 ounces heavier for my weeked firewood cutting everything will be ok, I don't want that to catch up to me when I'm an old man.

I personally don't think that's the part that'll catch up to me, but if all these hard working computer nerds tell me so on a chainsaw forum..who am I to argue ?

A lot of folks aint going to like this, but why buy a smaller saw, spend big bucks having it ported so it will run almost as good as the larger saw? There is no way to beat big CCs and stock parts can be installed by anyone. I know of no loggers around here that use ported saws.

Weight is a good reason.

Latest posts

Back