462s not holding up, carefull commercial users

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, that's me. Can't pull a muffler.

shouldn't have to. It should be clear. Oh well, the serial #break will likely be posted at some point.

what I've found around here over the years is denial. The dealers deny for the longest time. Finally the truth comes out. And it will. The mere fact of a structural strengthening tells me that the old (new) saw was weak and needed to be fixed.

Yup, that's me. Can't pull a muffler.

shouldn't have to. It should be clear. Oh well, the serial #break will likely be posted at some point.

what I've found around here over the years is denial. The dealers deny for the longest time. Finally the truth comes out. And it will. The mere fact of a structural strengthening tells me that the old (new) saw was weak and needed to be fixed.
It's not in the stihls best interest to make it known from the outside which saws are updated. It makes the other non updated ones tougher to sell and the majority of guys won't have problems either way.

to my knowledge stihl has never owned up, even to dealers, that there were issues with the 261/362 cranks for a time. i asked my dealer about it every week when i picked up new cranks...nothing from stihl. just asked them about it again last week because another one got brought in the shop and they were not aware of any service bulletins from stihl about it. now this is a major fix so they will have to add info for dealers at some point but i wouldnt bet on them being in any hurry about making the info widely available

The dealers will need to know if the saws use different parts.

Philbert
And they will know when they walk in with their saw and give its serial number, maybe it shows
when they are hooked to the computer.
But yes, it will be on a need to know basis, so it doesn't hurt sales, other than on this and the other
site the rest of the world probably has no idea there has been an update to the 462.

lmfao

Being 'obviously deceptive' is hilarious to me....what an odd thing to be upset about. 'What!?!? All they did was cast a large fairly easily accessible identifying marking into the cylinder of the saw!?!? That's so obviously deceptive.'
Seems you're the only one who doesn't get it..oh well.

Seems you're the only one who doesn't get it..oh well.
I get it. They made a revision to a saw and made sure everyone with the tool that comes with the saw is able to see what revision they had.

It's pretty simple.

You're the one going off about how the manufacturer is being 'obviously deceitful'....which is still hilarious. If one was TRYING to be deceitful, why would they be obvious about it!?!

I get it. They made a revision to a saw and made sure everyone with the tool that comes with the saw is able to see what revision they had.

It's pretty simple.

You're the one going off about how the manufacturer is being 'obviously deceitful'....which is still hilarious. If one was TRYING to be deceitful, why would they be obvious about it!?!
How many dealers are going to let you pull the muffler to check which version it is? It could have easily been cast into the outside of the jug or cases, but it wasn't. Not hard to connect the dots why.

*Shrug* mine would...
As would mine, but that wouldn't have been the case a few years ago when they didn't know me (& I wasn't fixing the stuff they couldn't).
If I were the dealer I'd be pretty apprehensive about handing Joe blogs a spanner to pull a muffler off... Chances are it'd end up rounded or threaded or scratched & just be a PITA

I agree with Holeycow in that it would've been just as easy (if not easier) for Stihl to put the casting mark on the outside where it could be readily seen, so they've obviously chosen to hide it.
Some would say that then puts the dealers in the position they are obliged to let you check it, which I would agree with, but I bet Stihl aren't going to replace anything that someone hamfisted damages in the process

I am not about to debate oils, other manufacturers making "dud" models, heck I won't even mention the first run of MS 661's were shite.
What I see here is one guy wrecked two saws and to me that is not a basis of any particular model fault complaint.
Now if every, or every other, or even a certain batch number of 462's were showing identical problems- maybe......
Coincidence there has been a recent upgrade- maybe. Maybe release of details of the upgrade prompted the complaint?

What I will say, in agreement with a couple of previous posters- the M2 is cast inside the port for Stihl Techs to identify which model THEY are working on- read your owner manuals and warranty cards- we are not supposed to pull new model saws apart and work on them, Stihl are under no obligation to mark or stamp any saw they make or improve with alterations during a production run- apart from model, serial number and safety decals. They are not designed or marketed around any Joe with a garage and a T27 wrench to work on.

How many dealers are going to let you pull the muffler to check which version it is? It could have easily been cast into the outside of the jug or cases, but it wasn't. Not hard to connect the dots why.
A very fair account of exactly what they did, they made no external difference.
No hope of a Stihl dealer here letting a customer screw a part off a saw for a look.

Latest posts

Back