462s not holding up, carefull commercial users

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have sent ported 462s all over the world. Literally. I have only known of one that didn't hold up. Just got some feedback on one I sent to Australia. Hundreds of hours....no problems at all. This thread is a joke I hope....
Any ideas on what would occur if the divider in the intake boot and cylinder were removed, de-strato'd so to speak?

the M2 is cast inside the port for Stihl Techs to identify which model THEY are working on- read your owner manuals and warranty cards- we are not supposed to pull new model saws apart and work on them, Stihl are under no obligation to mark or stamp any saw they make or improve with alterations during a production run- apart from model, serial number and safety decals. They are not designed or marketed around any Joe with a garage and a T27 wrench to work on.
As with so many things these days they are being designed to be unserviceable by anyone other than the OEM & their paid up franchise members. Personally I think the waste this creates is disgusting... no wonder some people turn to the Chinese clones...

As with so many things these days they are being designed to be unserviceable by anyone other than the OEM & their paid up franchise members. Personally I think the waste this creates is disgusting... no wonder some people turn to the Chinese clones...
I agree, but I don't like spending in china, there is always Echo, Husqvarna Oleo-Mac and its many derivatives along with others , that are built outside china, that makes me feel better, and I can fix
them myself because they use old fashioned tech.

In the past 50 years or so I’ve bought and ran lots of saws of all brands. I purchased a new NS462RCM last September and had a big oak job in October. I was amazed at the power/weight ratio on it new out of the box. I was and am impressed with the 462. Just my experience with my saw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blew up my second 462 in about 15 months time total, I was one of the first to buy this reboot of the 460 series in the area and loved it for its lighter weight and other new features, however I now own a second paperweight as my stihl dealer will not stand behind it and its got a mysterious crankcase crack that no doubt would not be there in older models with more meat on them.

recommend that heavy users such as myself avoid this new saw as they do not hold up, looking into cheaper and maybe older saws to run my business, avoiding stihl for now as a 30+ year veteran.
I'm amazed at the abuse my saws have taken when full time logging for profit, maybe you used them more as a lever than what is considered acceptable.

As an all Stihl guy, I won't hesitate for a minute to say that Stihl is being, shall we say to be polite, "less than forthcoming." I have no illusions about today's Stihl being above any other big manufacturer in terms of disclosure on engineering shortcomings. "Say I'm old fashioned, say I'm over the hill," but that's why I love owning and working on the old Stihl classics.

Back at the STIHL booth at the State Fair. Different guys. Just as evasive. ‘Did not hear of it’. ‘I’m just a sales guy’. (Showed them the photos) ‘Probably was a materials thing’.

:-(

Funny how they know nothing. On my old job when things fail the engineering group is on it like flys on dung till the problem is corrected. On a bronze gear the metal wasn’t mixed properly when the gear was casted. Example.

Yeah, they don’t have to advertise it. But denying something usually blows up much worse in the end. And if a customer asks a straight, direct question about it, they are expecting a straight, direct answer in return.

Philbert
They took the general motors approach.

What casting numbers are visible, on any saw with out disassembly of some kind ?
I know McCulloch would stamp over bored cylinders under the GD fuel tank on the cylinder flange!
Last time I checked my collection of saws I think the old L77 Husqvarna made in Yugoslavia was the only one I could have maybe? seen the cylinder casting on .
My only concern would be , does the new p/c swap to anything else for a kick a$$ hybrid!

It's not in the stihls best interest to make it known from the outside which saws are updated. It makes the other non updated ones tougher to sell and the majority of guys won't have problems either way.
So it's ok to hide this from the consumer?

Two saws side by side, new style and old, you'd be ok buying the old style?

You'd be ok being sold the old not knowing there's an improved version?

So it's ok to hide this from the consumer?

Two saws side by side, new style and old, you'd be ok buying the old style?

You'd be ok being sold the old not knowing there's an improved version?
I didn't make a judgement either way. Just pointing out why they did it. Standard practice in industry btw.
And no, I wouldn't buy the old version.

The problem is all the Nancy-boys complaining about saws being too heavy, so they make em lighter by removing metal.
"Nancy Boy"? So, when someone gets older, and doesn't have the muscle that they once might have had, or have developed some sort of physical ailment and needs or prefers a lighter saw they're a Nancy Boy?

In that case I woukd ran a smaller saw than 70cc.
True. And I've heard people say they prefer a lighter saw for most of their work (I'm one of them), but I also don't hear people complaining that "the 462, or the 500i or 881 is too heavy. I just hear them say they grab their lighter saws if they don't need to lug the heavier weight around. I've got both, a 462, and a 261. 90% of the time, I grab the 261 because it suits the work I'm doing, and don't need to carry around the extra weight of the 462 when doing what I'm doing. I've never heard people say "they should make the 881 lighter". And even if someone did, so be it, that's their opinion. I don't need to talk smack about whatever their opinion is. Whatever their opinion is is their business, not mine.

"Nancy Boy"? So, when someone gets older, and doesn't have the muscle that they once might have had, or have developed some sort of physical ailment and needs or prefers a lighter saw they're a Nancy Boy?
"Nancy Boy" refers to the forum heroes that piss about the paper specs of saws (particularly the weight) rather than how they actually feel and cut. If you gripe about a saw's listed dry weight being 1 ounce heavier than a competitor's, you are probably just being pissy for no reason and are a "Nancy Boy". If you are an older gent that doesn't feel like dragging out the 2100 you used while logging in the 80's to cut up little blowdowns and want a lighter saw, that's different.

"Nancy Boy" refers to the forum heroes that piss about the paper specs of saws (particularly the weight) rather than how they actually feel and cut. If you gripe about a saw's listed dry weight being 1 ounce heavier than a competitor's, you are probably just being pissy for no reason and are a "Nancy Boy". If you are an older gent that doesn't feel like dragging out the 2100 you used while logging in the 80's to cut up little blowdowns and want a lighter saw, that's different.
I get your point. That makes sense.

Yes and thank you, this was what I meant (if anything), and not attacking anyone that needs a lighter saw for physical reasons. My comment was primarily meant for a laugh since most of my saws are 40 - 60 year old boat anchors with no regard for weight.
Like Woodslasher said, it gets down to looking a little better on paper than a Husky 572XP or whatever is the same category, and the internet warriors that want to brag about the best and lightest. At some point, quality and durability suffer.

Latest posts

Back