462s not holding up, carefull commercial users

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First post, lack of pertinent information, brand bashing...

Troll thread.
The fact that the model has only been widely available for a couple of years (at most) and has already undergone a design change to strengthen the chassis and redesign the piston/cylinder has gotta make you wonder..

i was curious what 70cc of power was going to do with 50cc worth of material.

and then there's significant credence to your comment too..

where is that OP anyway?

The very first 462's were cracking around the bar studs when with longer bars, the case was soon beefed up. Other than a run of bad pistons, not much is out there on 462's biting the dust early.

Big case and piston updates recently, but not what I would call a redesign.
But real improvement none the less, and it is good to see any issues being addressed.

The fact that the model has only been widely available for a couple of years (at most) and has already undergone a design change to strengthen the chassis and redesign the piston/cylinder has gotta make you wonder..

i was curious what 70cc of power was going to do with 50cc worth of material.

and then there's significant credence to your comment too..

where is that OP anyway?
I fear a troll too, my comments were based on the recent updates, I think they are worthy,
and that Stihl had a reason for adding a little more meat here and there, like Echo do to begin with.
:laughing:

OMG, guess I stirred up a hornets nest here. I thank everyone who has posted and I will read and re-read all posts, first some questions answered.

Both saws where used logging, almost everyday several tanks full, except in winter when I used my arctic saw (461), 20 inch light bar all of the time. Mostly hardwood. I only use Stihl silver bottle synth mix oil with 89 gas, however we cannot buy gas without ethanol at 10% without using race gas or something.

I will post pictures of the cracks as soon as I can, the most recent failure had no exterior damage to outer covers, whereas the cracks worked their way through the area around the pull rope cover into the main crank and cost the saw compression and burnt the piston. The outer cover with the pull rope is undamaged and had never been removed by me.

I will investigate other saw.

My peers in the area had never heard of new saws of any type dying this early in their useful lives. I complain about the 462 for this reason and of course spending nearly 1500 bucks per.

In reference to the AU post, it was crack issue that was talked down and refused by customer service as a drop or some other user issue, denied claim of course.

first saw has more piston scoring than the second saw and a very minor crack underneath saw near the handle bar mount area.

I
OMG, guess I stirred up a hornets nest here. I thank everyone who has posted and I will read and re-read all posts, first some questions answered.

Both saws where used logging, almost everyday several tanks full, except in winter when I used my arctic saw (461), 20 inch light bar all of the time. Mostly hardwood. I only use Stihl silver bottle synth mix oil with 89 gas, however we cannot buy gas without ethanol at 10% without using race gas or something.

I will post pictures of the cracks as soon as I can, the most recent failure had no exterior damage to outer covers, whereas the cracks worked their way through the area around the pull rope cover into the main crank and cost the saw compression and burnt the piston. The outer cover with the pull rope is undamaged and had never been removed by me.

My peers in the area had never heard of new saws of any type dying this early in their useful lives. I complain about the 462 for this reason and of course spending nearly 1500 bucks per.

In reference to the AU post, it was crack issue that was talked down and refused by customer service as a drop or some other user issue, denied claim of course.
I personally would mix any
30w motor oil 16/1 even Quaker state
Before I would use Stihl oil
In my saws.

you's didn't use the last model or two of the 50 and 60cc Husky's then.

That sucks, I genuinely buy now and do not count on ever getting a warranty claim honored,
and all my bad experience was with the other big brand, Husqvarna. I inquired about the Echo
warranty that is bragged about, 5 years, and was told I will give the reps number, he deals with
the claims, that was from the guy who owned the shop I purchased my Echo in.
What can anyone do when up against these big companies.

you's didn't use the last model or two of the 50 and 60cc Husky's then.
I clicked like in agreement with your statement, that was the biggest shambles in
saw history, the amount of trouble people had with them things, and still do, and still
go on to justify them.

I clicked like in agreement with your statement, that was the biggest shambles in
saw history, the amount of trouble people had with them things, and still do, and still
go on to justify them.
Both issues were long since resolved. One got a complete reboot and the other hasn't been problematic in years.

I

I personally would mix any
30w motor oil 16/1 even Quaker state
Before I would use Stihl oil
In my saws.
Is it really that bad, at this day an age you would think Stihl would have the know how
to appoint a good oil to use in their products.

Is it really that bad, at this day an age you would think Stihl would have the know how
to appoint a good oil to use in their products.
I should have taken a picture, but when I'm working I don't stop. That said I have a friend's saw here for porting, it was ran on Ultra for about six months. Well I spent an hour cleaning off .030" of carbon off the piston and a crusted mess in the combustion chamber, may as well run SEA-30

I should have taken a picture, but when I'm working I don't stop. That said I have a friend's saw here for porting, it was ran on Ultra for about six months. Well I spent an hour cleaning off .030" of carbon off the piston and a crusted mess in the combustion chamber, may as well run SEA-30
That's good enough for me. Annoying to say the least having to spend time
on something that shouldn't be. What will you be recommending he run after the port work.
Was it autotune or mt regulated.

Latest posts

Back