5 gal a day through a 395

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup..he never backed off from that, did he? Too bad, too. I think a lot of his posts were good and he really tried to help people but he lost all of his credibility with that post...and his refusal to admit he was stretching it just a bit.

Back on topic...I don't run Huskys much but if I put five gallons a day (and I spill a lot) through my 660 I'd be working a lot longer day than I really wanted to. Maybe that's the OP's real deal... he's cutting full blast from can't see 'til can't see. :)

Big Huskys drink it up, but they crap fire too, lol.

Big Huskys drink it up, but they crap fire too, lol.

:hmm3grin2orange: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I am not getting roped into a Husky vs. Stihl debate but when you come down I'll let you run the 660 that Treeslingr' massaged for me.

Besides, most of the guys I know that switched to Huskies only did so because they were ten minutes late getting to the Stihl saw shop, it was closed, they had to have some kind of saw for the next day and anything would do and they had to go down the road to the Husky dealer that stayed open later. LOLOLOL

Last edited:
:hmm3grin2orange: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I am not getting roped into a Husky vs. Stihl debate but when you come down I'll let you run the 660 that Treeslingr' massaged for me.

Besides, most of the guys I know that switched to Huskies only did so because they were ten minutes late getting to the Stihl saw shop, it was closed, they had to have some kind of saw for the next day and anything would do and they had to go down the road to the Husky dealer that stayed open later. LOLOLOL

The Husky dealer stays open longer for a reason, more sales! :blob2:

The 660 is the flagship of Stihl in the timber world, a great saw... You know I only hate the 460, LOL. I'm actually wanting an 880, so how's that for not being bias? I think they are more managable and usuable than a 3120. Don't really need one, but I want one for hammer wood.

I will say this though, the Huskies I run sound a lot better in the cut than a Stihl, JMHO.

If you do get an 880, Mercury Machine in Eugene makes a 'Lightweight' 42" bar for them that's the bee's knees...it's a scaled down and contoured Husky bar with the mount machined for the 880 (weighs slightly over what a regular small-mount 36" bar weighs)...

Maybe if the choke was half on and he duct taped the trigger WOT and sat it on a stump with a 5 gallon jug intraveanised to the fuel line. 50 thousand feet of hardwood would use like 100 tanks or twenty gallons, falling, limbing and cutting to length if my math is correct, even though my spelling isn't lol.
Gypo

It's a good thread about fuel consumption. In the real world I found that cutting 18" pine lenghts, average stem dia 10" dbh, consumes 1.5 tanks per cord with a modded 359/16" bar, while the same saw will consume approx. 2 tanks cutting 16" lengths in the same dia. wood. It's all in the chain.
Gypo

Is a AU gallon the same as a UK? 4.546 Litres?
I think the US is 3.78 Litres

3.5 gallons UK is 15.9L
5 gallons US is 18.9 L

So it looks like it could be easy to do 5 US gallons a day.

I can put 7 litres a day through the FS450 strimmer and thats a lot of grass cut!

Nah mate I was talking US Gallons for the American guy's benefit even though we use Imperial Gallons in Australia.

I personally don't find 5 US gallons in a day hard to believe through a 395. Maybe if a few more guys here had pulled 9-10 hours non stop cutting in a day they'd believe it too. Only thing I find hard to believe is that you can run that much fuel through a saw in a day in a forestry situation. Firewood cutters with a lot of wood to cut could do this not a problem in larger wood with larger saws. If I cut non stop for 11-12 hours in a day with a 32" bar on my 7900 I'm sure even I could use 5 gallons in bigger stuff.
My 7900 probably uses 30% more fuel with a 32" bar buried compared to a 24" bar buried.

Last edited:
I suspect the trees you cut are a bit larger and harder than the trees the subject of this thread would be cutting in eastern USA.

Yeah you are probably right. I had a few larger runs of trees the other day and with the 32" bar on the 7900 I was only dropping around 8 trees per tank, and thats just 3 felling cuts (with the odd fix up cuts here and there when the angles were out :( ).

The 660 is the flagship of Stihl in the timber world, a great saw... You know I only hate the 460, LOL. I'm actually wanting an 880, so how's that for not being bias? I think they are more managable and usuable than a 3120. Don't really need one, but I want one for hammer wood.

I will say this though, the Huskies I run sound a lot better in the cut than a Stihl, JMHO.

I see you're headed the right way, everyone has to wake up eventually HAHAHA.

If you do get an 880, Mercury Machine in Eugene makes a 'Lightweight' 42" bar for them that's the bee's knees...it's a scaled down and contoured Husky bar with the mount machined for the 880 (weighs slightly over what a regular small-mount 36" bar weighs)...

Jacob I saw a guy in Logger's World who had an 880 w/ a 42" bar from Mercury Machine.

Latest posts

Back