50:1 vs 40:1?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
40:1 will make them running a bit leaner, unless you richen the carb - and I don't see the point? :msp_confused:

Right. 40:1 in ported saws only. For extra protection. A lot of guys run 32:1 But for stock saws I like 50:1:cheers:

Right. 40:1 in ported saws only. For extra protection. A lot of guys run 32:1 But for stock saws I like 50:1:cheers:

BTW, I am sure hoping to hear some good news about the 562XP's this month. Hopefully they will finally be here!

Forgot to say, more oil makes the saw run leaner, since some fuel is displaced by the added oil.

I don't want to question this but I would think that oil also burns just like the fuel that it's mixed into, but just leaves some residue behind after burned. I've had saws start on straight oil no gas so I don't want to say that a saw runs leaner with more oil in the mix since the same amount of fluid is still flowing through carb, just has a bit more oil mixed in to burn. Oil may be a bit harder to burn so wouldn't a saw run a bit richer in the high rpms? Probably not noticeable.

IDK and probably will get a better understanding, as to why it would be leaner with more oil if carb is pumping same quantity of fluid, as I read on following this reply.

Again I'm just trying to make sense of this to learn not to question your knowledge.

Sorry, but that's not possible. You had to have had gasoline left in the carb for it to start.

I would just inject about two tablespoons of oil into plug after I replaced the piston on the few saws I did, pulled a couple times and saws would run and smoke badly for a few secs. I guess I never thought that maybe the carb would have a drop or two left to throw in.

I think I have a carb off one of my small hand blowers and now I have to see what happens with just oil.

Anything more than a thin film on the p&c is not a good idea. I would think a couple tablespoons would hydrolock the engine.

Agreed, I would put the oil in and then pull cord gently, without plug, a few times and a few times more. Then I would replace the plug and pull to start and it did start so I thought that it ran on the oil alone since I had carb off for a few days at a time before reinstalling and it ran with lots of smoke so automatically looked like pure oil burning.

I have heard a richer oil mixture (40:1) burns hotter than a leaner mixture (50:1) because the oil burns hotter than the gas???

I thought it was BS , but the guy that told me that knows a lot about 2 strokes. I do not know for sure. I did get one of those spark plug temperature gauges but it does not fit so I am hooking it up to the exhaust pipe to get a relative idea.

Seems if the more oil mixture burned hotter it would whiten the plug and it does not in my experience. I always like to read the plug to determine what mixture is best---- Tooo black=too much oil and not hot enough,

Tooo white with the electrode missing= too little oil

Just like most of the responses already, I also run 50:1 Ultra in everything I have nowadays. Except for my quad, which takes 32:1. So I already need 2 gas cans....I don't want a 3rd can for 40:1......it just makes it too much work.

Sorry, but that's not possible. You had to have had gasoline left in the carb for it to start.

Wouldn't trying to run on straight oil and no gas be along the lines of a diesel engine, where the fuel is heated and compressed under extreme pressure to cause the combustion and a chainsaw just wouldn't have the compression to do this.

Wouldn't trying to run on straight oil and no gas be along the lines of a diesel engine, where the fuel is heated and compressed under extreme pressure to cause the combustion and a chainsaw just wouldn't have the compression to do this.
Exactly, only oil its even more extreme. It would simply be impossible for a chainsaw engine to run on oil. It wouldn't even run on diesel fuel.

Exactly, only oil its even more extreme. It would simply be impossible for a chainsaw engine to run on oil. It wouldn't even run on diesel fuel.

Now wouldn't THAT be some ****?!?!?! A diesel saw. Propane injection, mini turbo, and a saw that weighs 65 pounds! haha

Hi everyone. If this has been debated to death just let me know.
My old saw runs 40:1 My soon to be new saw wants 50:1. It sure would be nice to have just one gas can for both. You don't want to run 50:1 in the 40:1 saw, but I can't see too much harm in running 40:1 in the 50:1 saw. What do you guys think? Thanks, George

Where's Gary?

Back