550XP or 562XP?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What size bar and pitch are you running on that 550?? Great looking saw OnTheRoad!!!

It's hilarious to run a saw this light and agile with this kind of power. Coming from a guy who is used to running borrowed cheapo saws, this thing causes a little cognitive dissonance. A saw this size has no business running the way it does.

Same goes for the 562.View attachment 339731

To put it in perspective, I had a super mint MS460 Stihl that I traded to Dex Day for the little 550. Running the 460 and the 562 side by side on huge Elm rounds made the 460 look outright sad. Sure, it had a touch more power, but it was 75cc, bulky and heavy. At my age, that saw would work me twice as hard and produce about the same output.

It's the way of all outboard clutchs and some of us prefer it...

No special tool needed or piston stop. Look closely at the face of the clutch.

Please explain, l thought this was too silly to be true. There is no nut there like a 372. l think you need a tool to fit on the clutch spider followed by a piston stop to hold the crank in place. I hope l'm wrong pls inform us.There is a zoomed in pic of a 550 clutch on the last or second last page of the 'all aussie dribble thread'. Perhaps you or someone that is good at loading pics could transfer the pic here so we can get to the bottom of this. l hope your right but feel you may be wrong. :dizzy:

Please explain, l thought this was too silly to be true. There is no nut there like a 372. l think you need a tool to fit on the clutch spider followed by a piston stop to hold the crank in place. I hope l'm wrong pls inform us.There is a zoomed in pic of a 550 clutch on the last or second last page of the 'all aussie dribble thread'. Perhaps you or someone that is good at loading pics could transfer the pic here so we can get to the bottom of this. l hope your right but feel you may be wrong. :dizzy:
Note the yellow circles...

550_clutch.jpg

Thanks Mark, but a piston stop will still be required which is not a problem(some starter cord). What are you guys using to turn the the clutch because in my experience clutches need a fair amount of torque to budge. Do you suggest a flat head s/driver and a tap with a hammer? mmmm l'd perhaps rather fab a tool to get in between the spider using the three arms. Its an almost new saw & l'm better at breaking things than fixing them.lol. Appreciate you pasting the pic as l'm semi illiterate with pc's. Any suggestions? l almost feel embarassed asking how to change a rim sprocket but this thing is frustating. There must be a service tool for this.

I've always used a flat head screw driver. I never used a piston stop i just smacked it a time or 2 and it'll spin right off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is good to know. I bothered to buy the special tool from Baileys! I noticed the slots, but I was afraid of damaging the clutch using a steel screwdriver.

Back