550XP - Snellerized Style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn Brad,
That looks like it'll haul the mail... What all did you do to it? The throttle response is fantastic and it's definitely holding rpm in the cut. Out of question, what pitch cutters are you using and if .325, how much of a loss (if any) might there be running 3/8"?

Is it just me or is that chain a bit tight? If you look closely at the video you can see what looks like smoke coming off the bar top at just above mid cut. It could be water vapor from the log maybe but the chain has no slack in it after the first few seconds of the video and at times appears to stop rather abruptly right after the first cut and again when you stop and restart it. sounds healthy though.

Damn Brad,
That looks like it'll haul the mail... What all did you do to it? The throttle response is fantastic and it's definitely holding rpm in the cut. Out of question, what pitch cutters are you using and if .325, how much of a loss (if any) might there be running 3/8"?
It's .325 chisel chain. I've never run 3/8 chain on one, although others do and say it runs fine.

What bar length and does that light Sugi bar really help

Here's the trick to the throttle response. What we're looking at is the brass plug just above the left mounting bolt hole. The earlier 550s do not have this plug, which must be removed. Removing it is as simple as drilling a hole in it and popping it out. I found this adjustment needle on the first 550 I did. Mitch can explain it's function much better than I can, but it has the same affect as a L needle on a typical carb. This one here was seated. I backed it out 1/4 turn. The needle has an o-ring on it, so stays where you put it.

If you have a 550 with hesitation off idle, this is probably what you need to do.

IMG_1861-L.jpg

IMG_1862-L.jpg

IMG_1863-L.jpg

Brad, a trick for getting those plugs out is to find the right size plug or bottoming tap and thread it in there and pull. Not my idea but it works well. Maybe you already do this. Just thought I'd mention it.

Back