550XP - Snellerized Style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the trick to the throttle response. What we're looking at is the brass plug just above the left mounting bolt hole. The earlier 550s do not have this plug, which must be removed. Removing it is as simple as drilling a hole in it and popping it out. I found this adjustment needle on the first 550 I did. Mitch can explain it's function much better than I can, but it has the same affect as a L needle on a typical carb. This one here was seated. I backed it out 1/4 turn. The needle has an o-ring on it, so stays where you put it.

If you have a 550 with hesitation off idle, this is probably what you need to do.

IMG_1861-L.jpg

IMG_1862-L.jpg

IMG_1863-L.jpg

Brad besides the mounting screws what else do you gotta do to get the air filter holder off I was gonna take that plug on the carb out this morning but after taking the mounting screws out it still felt like something was holding it tight.

Sent from my Autotune carb

Looks like it runs real good. How does it compare to a ported 346/2153? Sounds and looks like a little better torque maybe. I know initially they weren't as strong but maybe you guys are getting better results now?

My money's still on the 346.

Do you have any in your collection that you could do a side by side comparison with the 550xp

Character is who you are when no one is looking

I've yet to build any 50cc saw that can beat my 346s in overall speed. The 550 is a more nimble saw, and the 261 is a better all around saw, but the 346 is still the quickest.

The verdict is in. The 550 had me sweatin'! My 346 is my baby. While I was videoing these cuts, I was afraid the 550 had whooped it. Not so. It's not very far ahead though. I'm very impressed where I got that 550 too. No doubt, it's was my best effort to date.

Reposting the 550 vid for convenience.

Thanks for taking the time to compare the two. Don't know if it's been brought up elsewhere but a builder shootout with the 562 or 550 would be awesome.

Here's the trick to the throttle response. What we're looking at is the brass plug just above the left mounting bolt hole. The earlier 550s do not have this plug, which must be removed. Removing it is as simple as drilling a hole in it and popping it out. I found this adjustment needle on the first 550 I did. Mitch can explain it's function much better than I can, but it has the same affect as a L needle on a typical carb. This one here was seated. I backed it out 1/4 turn. The needle has an o-ring on it, so stays where you put it.

If you have a 550 with hesitation off idle, this is probably what you need to do.

IMG_1861-L.jpg

IMG_1862-L.jpg

IMG_1863-L.jpg

Would this fix potentially do anything to help a 550 that won't idle?

Can't wait to send you my 545.

Hope you can get it close to that 550. I am not a fan of the gray paint but Man that little saw is quick!

Back