550xp stalls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stem

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 550xp that I got new last summer, and have put about a dozen tanks through it. It cold starts relatively well, and runs strong. But, it doesn't like to idle for very long, and it stalls a lot, right when I touch the throttle after idling. And it usually takes a 5-6 pulls to start after stalling. I've had other huskies have really rough break in periods, and turn out to be great saws. So, I'm trying to be patient, but I also don't want to be ignoring any problems. I did just notice what seems like an unusual amount of grime inside the air filter. Don't know if it's related, but I'm definitely throwing a new filter on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0183.jpg
    IMG_0183.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0184.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 116
I just sold a 550XP because I bought a 562XPW. The 550 was bought spring 2014, and I never had the air filter or its housing ever look like that!! I would agree with Jim, take it to the dealer.

That's a "funny" looking filter situation all right, but I doubt that it has anything to do with the stalling problem. It sounds like the same issue that has plagued many 550s & 562s (I have a 562 that did the same thing until the EL46 carb was replaced with an EL48). If so, it is a carb problem which should be handled under warranty. I would be making tracks right back to my dealer if this was my saw!

Thanks guys. Just got off the phone with my local Husky guy. He said he did a warranty replaced on a 550 with similar issues a couple months ago. I'll be dropping it off. Thanks again.

I'd get the felt filter not the nylon one for starters, then maybe some filter oil. The 550xp air filter simply sucks, it hampers what is a near pefect 50cc saw. Take it to dealer.

It could very well be an air leak, more than likely a transfer cover. Many 550's have this issue too. They dont exhibit typical air leak symptoms because the autotune does a pretty dang good job at compensating for it. I had one that I thought had carb issues, it would do the same exact thing. The intake would be wet with fuel, as the saw would go excessively rich to compensate for it. In the cut, it would go lean.

Bought a 550 in Oct 2015. After 5 trips to the dealer Husqvana replaced the saw. If the saw does not work Good out of the box. Return to the dealer right a way. It will not fix it's self. The break in period folks talk about is top performance only . Nothing to to do with stalling issues at all. Saws are not made to stall or hesitate off idle. If you have trouble getting the dealer to repair it call Husqvana. The problem I had was the saw worked fine cold. The dealer seemed to have trouble testing it long enough to experance the issue. It took 3 min of cutting to show up. Husqvana treated me well once they got involved. Do not be shy about asking for a new saw. They know what is going on with these 550 issues.

The saw was brand new setting in my truck. I just started it up yesterday and again today. Sorry to report it has the same issue. Works good during warm-up but at working tempature has a distinct hesitation off idle. It did stall once off idle. I called Husqvana and it needs to go back to the dealer tomorrow. I had such high hopes for this replacement saw and thought saw trouble was behind me. I know there are hundreds if not thousands of these saws out there working good. Is it possible I could get two lemons in a row? Anyone know what is going on with these saws? My gas is not the issue. I have used Husky gas out of the can to be sure.

The saw was brand new setting in my truck. I just started it up yesterday and again today. Sorry to report it has the same issue. Works good during warm-up but at working tempature has a distinct hesitation off idle. It did stall once off idle. I called Husqvana and it needs to go back to the dealer tomorrow. I had such high hopes for this replacement saw and thought saw trouble was behind me. I know there are hundreds if not thousands of these saws out there working good. Is it possible I could get two lemons in a row? Anyone know what is going on with these saws? My gas is not the issue. I have used Husky gas out of the can to be sure.

It sure does sound like you are "under the dark cloud"! Stick with it, & you'll eventually get a winner which will make you happy. I had similar issues with my 562, after having had WORSE issues (scored P&C on the first run due to 2 air leaks). Two carb replacements & several resets & software updates later I had a great running saw. Changing the carb from an EL46 to an EL48 made the difference between an "Albatross" & a terrific saw!

That stinks , that a guy has to work so hard to get a good running saw. You would think the initial cost of the saw would cover that.

It is possible to get 2 lemons in a row, I've had 3. I currently have the 4th new one sitting unfueled in the garage & am afraid to try it. I traded the 1st one for a 562 , the other two, the dealer has replaced & he asked me not to come back. All three exhibited the same symptoms you're experiencing. Once up to operating temperature it develops a bog off idle and will stall if throttle is not feathered up to cutting rpm or if idled for more a few seconds will stall as if the switch was hit. I would like to see a resolution for this but my patience has almost run out. The condescending attitude of the dealers is tough to tolerate. I really like the 550xp & have used one that runs as advertised. It's not just a Husky thing either. My MS241 had the bad fuel solenoid which was discussed on here & when I took it to the Stihl dealer I left with the same level of customer unsatisfaction.

It sure does sound like you are "under the dark cloud"! Stick with it, & you'll eventually get a winner which will make you happy. I had similar issues with my 562, after having had WORSE issues (scored P&C on the first run due to 2 air leaks). Two carb replacements & several resets & software updates later I had a great running saw. Changing the carb from an EL46 to an EL48 made the difference between an "Albatross" & a terrific saw!

Thanks. The Husqvana tech I spoke to, offered me a 562 as the replacement for the 550xp. He said the 562 was their flage ship model at this time. Having worked through earlier issues, he thought I would be pleased with the 562's performance and reliability.
The 50 cc saw is the better saw for my application. I own a good working 65 cc saw that gets very little use. Right now I am using a ms261, works perfect also has old style carb. As of yet the ms 261 is the best saw I have ever owned.

I still have hopes for the 550xp to take that position. As all saw men know, it is easy to move to a better saw. Hard to move the other way.

Thanks. The Husqvana tech I spoke to, offered me a 562 as the replacement for the 550xp. He said the 562 was their flage ship model at this time. Having worked through earlier issues, he thought I would be pleased with the 562's performance and reliability.
The 50 cc saw is the better saw for my application. I own a good working 65 cc saw that gets very little use. Right now I am using a ms261, works perfect also has old style carb. As of yet the ms 261 is the best saw I have ever owned.

I still have hopes for the 550xp to take that position. As all saw men know, it is easy to move to a better saw. Hard to move the other way.

Interesting. I also have a 261 regular carb model & feel the same about it as you do. It is the first one I choose for most work even though the 562 is running perfectly now.

Back