550XP vs MS362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
view;_ylt=A0PDoQ5zFUVQ3D4AXqmJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBlMTQ4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n
I had a run in with those sob's last week, I must have stepped on their hive.

Bald face hornets are twice as bad!
view;_ylt=A0PDoQ5zFUVQ3D4AXqmJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBlMTQ4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n

Last edited:
Just for reference I ended at
W/.015 pop up

Carb was bored and shafts thinned

Although the exhaust was around 65% just cause it made me feels comfortable.

Also, keep in mind you just changed its world. Either reset the micro or run 2-3 tanks for it to find itself again.

O ya Andre isn't running it either:hmm3grin2orange:

Just for reference I ended at
W/.015 pop up

Carb was bored and shafts thinned

Although the exhaust was around 65% just cause it made me feels comfortable.
Interesting. That's within a degree of all of my port timings. I was considering some carb work, but would hate to have to replace this electronic carb. That could easily be the missing link.

Also, keep in mind you just changed its world. Either reset the micro or run 2-3 tanks for it to find itself again.
I had only made maybe three cuts before this vid. Did it take a while for yours to "wake back up"?

Compression before and after?
I don't have an adapter for these tiny spark plugs.

The 576 took a couple tanks to learn it was ported. It was real sluggish for the first tank and seemed like it gained nothing on the first tank and then on the second it woke back up.

Interesting. That's within a degree of all of my port timings. I was considering some carb work, but would hate to have to replace this electronic carb. That could easily be the missing link.

I had only made maybe three cuts before this vid. Did it take a while for yours to "wake back up"?

I don't have an adapter for these tiny spark plugs

there's your first lathe project : )

Yes, so much so it sent an error code the first cut I made. The carb was already worked over though. I did have a little advantage having experience with a couple 562's....did some measuring and jumped right to the configuration that worked best on them. After all they are a scaled version really.

I have the adapter but it blows the O ring out the side. Need a seat cut into the landing to hold the ring.

Yes, so much so it sent an error code the first cut I made. The carb was already worked over though. I did have a little advantage having experience with a couple 562's....did some measuring and jumped right to the configuration that worked best on them. After all they are a scaled version really.

That's all good to hear. Sounds like everything I did was on the right track. I'll go back in and add the popup. I'll look into the carb mods too. Sounds like what it needs more than anything else is learn time.

I ported the 550 today. The first thing that totally shocked me was the port timing. This thing only had 6* blowdown! I checked and double checked. Exhaust is all the way down at 109 and the transfer way up at 115. The intake was 73, IIRC. I decided to raise the exhaust enough to give it 10* of blowdown. I dropped the intake to 78*. The exhaust got widened a LOT, to get it to 70%. I slightly widened the transfers and strato ports, as I do on all stratos. I tightened the squish from .028" to .017".

The before cut time was 7.12 and after was only 6.93. I basically gained nothing. I'm going to go back in it and give it a popup piston and remove the base gasket. I'm not inclined to raise the transfer to get the 6* blowdown back.

I'm wondering if the carb is maxed out, either by flow, or by the electronic fuel control. I hear that the diagnostic tool will show the percentage of max possible fuel that it's using. I might have to send it back north to see where it's at.

[video=youtube_share;NImn3PkWJ9Q]http://youtu.be/NImn3PkWJ9Q[/video]

Now order a coil, AT pack, carb etc from a 562 and see if you can dial it on there

I have next to ZERO knowledge when it comes to the lathe though!

BUT, atleast, you've done your homework, and have one, and know how to make it go...

Me, on the other hand, have been living though you, and others, hoping I can get some of this stuff through my thick Krout skull!!

I had a run in with those sob's last week, I must have stepped on their hive.

I found their underground hideout at my place this evening. Gave them a shot of starting fluid and raaaaaan like heck. They were still all sorts of pissed when I last peeped over there haha. I have to get some downed apples out of the back yard tomorrow, that should be a real treat. Hopefully they dont remember who I am lol.

Now I want a 550 XP, Was looking to add a 346XP but it may be the 550 Instead, this site was the worst thing that ever happen to me, I think I joined a few Months ago and I am already blew a few paychecks on stuff I never knew i Needed. I was happy with my 009.

Now I want a 550 XP, Was looking to add a 346XP but it may be the 550 Instead, this site was the worst thing that ever happen to me, I think I joined a few Months ago and I am already blew a few paychecks on stuff I never knew i Needed. I was happy with my 009.

Well, look at the bright side - at least you can sell that 450 and the 55 then! :msp_wink:

I could, and did, summon every known cuss word for the yellow jackets that seemed to be everywhere today. The fresh cut oak seemed to attract them like cat nip. "Bee nip?",

Aren't bees in the "worplace" a hoot? Used to be good teenager fun to eradicate hives that sprouted up in bad places on the farm.

With these AT saws, do they "learn" fast enough after a mod to prevent damage? I really want one and might do a MM myself, I would hate for it to go lean and not correct before damage was done? I understand a couple of tanks to be at their peak.

Bill

Latest posts

Back