550XP vs MS362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut a small popup and ditched the base gasket tonight. The popup is only about .020" tall, so didn't expect much change, and it didn't. The cut time is the same as last nights. Don't get me wrong, the saw runs fantastic with excellent throttle response. Just letting the saw self feed, it'll turn 13,000 or better in the cut. With a medium load it turns about 11,000. To get it down to 10,000 you really have to lean on it. I'm just not finding the gains you would expect from porting. I'll play with the carb next.

[video=youtube_share;QvVKtJRqC4c]http://youtu.be/QvVKtJRqC4c[/video]

I just watched the video again and it seemed like it was searching around for the good setting. A little more runtime and it should come out of it, I don't think it needs a reset, just a good ol' trip on the short bus for some edumacation!

I agree. Just doing the fuel settings would be OK, but I don't think the master reset is necessary.

The auto-tune schools are coming up next month, so guys like us who go there for more than lunch will have answers to most of these questions. Mine is Oct 30, but I think your's is earlier, right?

I did mine in March, got alot of very vague answers. Its more of a don't be afraid of auto tune, and this is how you tear down the newer 500 series saws. Most of the answers they give are direct quotes from the reader manual, and a few other docs, like any service school you'll at least get to have fun whatching those that are there for the free lunch and whose only shop tools are a hammer and screwdriver.

Looks as if I will be attending this Oct as well. Should be interesting to see what they really know.

Looks as if I will be attending this Oct as well. Should be interesting to see what they really know.

A lot of it depends on who does the school. Some of the guys are really sharp. It also helps to be in the frame of mind to ask questions. No point in driving home wishing they had an answer to a question nobody asked.

A lot of it depends on who does the school. Some of the guys are really sharp. It also helps to be in the frame of mind to ask questions. No point in driving home wishing they had an answer to a question nobody asked.

Should have some good questions lined up. Hope I get a good instructor. The shirt and food won't make up for my realization that I know more than them. :dizzy:

I think I made some good gains with it this evening. I advanced the strato port timing by the same amount that I did the intake. I also fiddled with the carb some more. I do believe that needle in the face of the carb is the L needle. It's a real hassle having to remove the filter mount to mess with it. The only issue I have right now is that the idle doesn't like to come down after being in the cut. I imagine that this is a result of opening up the carb venturi. After a few seconds it does idle down nice and steady. I'm hoping it will learn it's way out of this. If not, it might be time for a 3rd carb for this saw:( All in the name of research and advancement of saw modding:rock: It was 9:30 and dark before I finished, so no vids tonight.

Yeah some of them are, and it helps to forgo the lunch to pick there brains. The at systems is pretty simple and slick, it can compensate as we know for alot of different component failures. Knowing how far the parameters in the software go.........we will most likely never know till the programmers show up or its been cloned.

Yeah some of them are, and it helps to forgo the lunch to pick there brains. The at systems is pretty simple and slick, it can compensate as we know for alot of different component failures. Knowing how far the parameters in the software go.........we will most likely never know till the programmers show up or its been cloned.

can you guys see how it's coded/written?

That is highly doubtful. There wouldn't be any reason/need to show a technician that information anyway. But could be interesting in the right hands ;)

I haven't seen that information on any of my screens. Just fuel settings represented by numbers. Don't know what the numbers are but my guess is we see what the numbers are and in the process of service, any major changes in the numbers can help with a diagnosis. Perhaps a future version may have that info.

The only issue I have right now is that the idle doesn't like to come down after being in the cut. I imagine that this is a result of opening up the carb venturi. After a few seconds it does idle down nice and steady. I'm hoping it will learn it's way out of this. If not, it might be time for a 3rd carb for this saw:

The only issue I have right now is that the idle doesn't like to come down after being in the cut. I imagine that this is a result of opening up the carb venturi. After a few seconds it does idle down nice and steady. I'm hoping it will learn it's way out of this. If not, it might be time for a 3rd carb for this saw:

I think it was doing that at the end of yesterdays video. There is only so much messing around with ports, carb ect that these systems will tolerate with out side effects. A full reset might be in order. Changing too much without enough run time I would say.

Back