550XP vs MS362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see that. The tendinitis in my right elbow tells me to grab the lightest saw that will get the job done. That being said time in the cut matters too. If keeping weight off of the back is a concern then maybe an MS200 with an 18" bar is the choice for 20" wood. I just know that in the shop the 362 felt like a brick. The 550 is insane light for the power it makes. For me that power is best used limbing, not bucking.

I mean anyone here that had a bout with a tick borne Lyme infection knows what that kind of crippling arthritis feels like. And working in the woods I should think quite a bunch of us get bit by ticks. Not everyone knows what they have. Nasty stuff!

I can see that. The tendinitis in my right elbow tells me to grab the lightest saw that will get the job done. That being said time in the cut matters too. If keeping weight off of the back is a concern then maybe an MS200 with an 18" bar is the choice for 20" wood. I just know that in the shop the 362 felt like a brick. The 550 is insane light for the power it makes. For me that power is best used limbing, not bucking.

The MS362 does feel like a brick, as do the MS261.....

A ported 346 or 261 will handle that task with ease. I don't think this 550 would complain as is. Only time will tell if they left much on the table for us porters.

Some meat on the bones yet :rock:

IMHO, the need for a 60cc saw died with the 346, 5100, and 261. Especially once modded, I have absolutely no use for a 60cc saw. The 550 simply ups that ante, running almost like a ported saw with only a MM. I would take a ported 346 or 261 ANY day of the week over ANY ported 60cc saw out there. If I need more saw, I want more than a 60cc saw has to offer. That's why a 50cc/70cc saw is such an awesome combination.

No one can argue the effectiveness of that combo, but for a 1 saw plan a 60cc can do the job of both, just not as well. However, in a few years time, it'll be 40cc/60cc combinations that make the most sense.

No one can argue the effectiveness of that combo, but for a 1 saw plan a 60cc can do the job of both, just not as well. However, in a few years time, it'll be 40cc/60cc combinations that make the most sense.

That will be something to see. Find myself grabbing the 435 quite often for clean up work. Add the new configuration to that sized chassis and well

Yup, I'm considering going 60+90, and a pro-40 would be a nice compliment. Must admit that seeing Brad's 550XP looking that strong this early is making me hesitate. Wonder how long Husky will make us wait for a 390XP AutoTune?

Tendinitis in both arms, back in 2000-2001 got me my first 346xp and first Husky. I bought the lightest saw with the most power I could find. After a while I wondered why I was using those old heavy saws for so long. :msp_smile:

IMHO, the need for a 60cc saw died with the 346, 5100, and 261. Especially once modded, I have absolutely no use for a 60cc saw. The 550 simply ups that ante, running almost like a ported saw with only a MM. I would take a ported 346 or 261 ANY day of the week over ANY ported 60cc saw out there. If I need more saw, I want more than a 60cc saw has to offer. That's why a 50cc/70cc saw is such an awesome combination.

True words Brad. We only have small wood here. Made a good living with 50cc saws for decades. No surprise to me that the 550 came out ahead. Keep up the good work.

I don't have my 261 together yet for comparison, but I shot a vid of the 550 in some near 16" maple today with a 16" bar. I'll get it uploaded and share with you guys. But only if you really want me to. I'd rather not start a new thread, we dont need 4 thousand 550 threads going at the same time. perhaps my 550 could be brads counterpart running different pitch chain so we don't need to go back and forth so much. I do have intentions of having some work done to it as I'm sure brad does his.

I'm lazy and football season has arrived, gonna have to be to get me to upload videos now :D

That's the truth, I'm not going to carry a 60cc around limbing and I'm not going to use a 60cc for blocking. Steve

Absolutely, bring it on. Have you modded your muffler yet?

Haven't touched anything on it yet. I need better tools for a proper mod really. I dont wanna hack anything up too bad lol.

A 1-saw plan for me would probably be a 390XP, if not a 50cc saw.

Whoa Nelly, lol, I couldn't imagine using my 365 as my only saw! 390 would kill me if I had to use that for everything! Unless everything including bucking logs that were down all the time.

Absolutely, bring it on. Have you modded your muffler yet?

Another thought on that note - I really do want to do a fair comparison against the 261, so anything I do to the 550 I have to do to the 261 as well. I'll run them stock, then I'll mod the mufflers. After that, I don't have the $moola$ to have them both ported so that's a different story. Stock saw comparisons are better IMO because everything is more consistent. Who knows to what extend a saw has been modified after that part.

The 261 muffler looks easy to mod compared to the 550. I'm thinking triple shark slits on each side will be sufficient. I can't believe how small the stock hole is and the route it has to take! Looks like a 137 e-tech muffler, with a hole the size of a pencil eraser!

It's a long vid, some of you may find it boring. I tried to cut with varying pressure and style throughout. The wood is maple.

[video=youtube;KNcfwN78fLc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNcfwN78fLc[/video]

Please don't ask if the chain was sharp or aggressive, I think we can see the answer to that ;)

Last edited:
After watching the 550 video over and over again, I'm even more blown away than I already was. I mean the rpm's in the wood that thing is turning is impressive to say the least.

I myself have had two modern 60cc saws, a 361 and a 362. Both were fine saw, however I no longer own either. With the 550 being what I think it is, the 10cc gap wasn't just closed in my mind, it was obliterated. Even if the 362 has a slight power advantage, {which I now question after watching the video a million times} we have a 10# 50cc saw with as much or more power than any 12-13# 60cc saw. I've been on the fence about the one saw question for some time, I now see no reason for a 60cc saw whatsoever. Now if the 562 I ran was truly a one off dog, and they really do run, I may change my mind.

Pertaining to the question of using a 50cc saw to cut anything 20" or larger, this is what I've found over the years. More often than not after felling a good size tree, I start out bumping the branches with a 346, and before I know it I've bucked up the whole tree without ever even stopping to look at one of the big boys. Lets be honest, most make do heating their homes with a lot less than a 70, 80 or 90cc saw, it's not realistic or logical for most to go out and buy a $1,000 saw to cut 5-10 cords of wood a year. This is where I think the 550 will kill the competition.

My .02

Andre.

Latest posts

Back